Thread: Neighbors Tree..

Neighbors Tree..

My neighbor has a large Maple tree that in on the border of my property, the tree its self is on her land but the branches and the top of the tree are hanging on my side to the point where the branches are hanging over my roof 35' away. The tree has a disease and it looks like the tree is dying, most of the bottom branches are falling off (on my car and all over my driveway) just the very top of the tree has leaves. The tree is angled so if it were to fall it would fall on my bedroom I have talked to my neighbor and she is against having the branches trimmed (I know I can trim the branches on my side of the property line) she states that she doesn't want to cut the tree down nor does she have the money to do it. I offered to pay half to have it cut down she said no. I had a couple of tree people give me an estimate to cut the branches down on my side, problem is they would have to use a lift because there is no way for them to get to the tree branches so the estimates I have had were in the 2k dollar range and that still doesn't guarantee the tree won’t fall on my house . To get the tree cut down it would only be $800-1000 because they could climb the tree. I know if my neighbors’ tree falls on my house it would have to be covered by my home owners (which is BS in my opinion) so at this point do I have any other options? Has anyone else gone through this? My neighbor is a nice lady but I care more about my house and my family's safety

Had a simular problem in 1999.
    We had been in my current abode a few years
    My property line with my neighbor was lined with large white pines.
    About half were rooted on my side.

Everytime we had a storm, large branches would fall on my roof.
    I approached my neighbor and asked about splitting the costs for removal/pruning.
    He wasn't interested.

Then hurricane Floyd came threw and knocked 2 of them down.
    One slicing thru my electric service.
    Took 3 days to repair
    I called the Town and was told they couldn't force my neighbor to deal with the trees.

So I hired a tree guy who took down all the trees rooted on my property and pruned ALL the branches on my side.
    This took all the weight off my side and made the trees lean toward my neighbors property.

A year later.
    A big storm downed one of HIS trees and smashed thru his deck.

Like The Fram man says.
    Pay me now or....
    Pay me later.
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

I wonder if i am better off paying the 2k it is making me nervous, Its sad i can get it completely removed for half the price, i even told her after the estimates i would pay for complete removel and she still said no... This morning i was up early and started throwing the broken branches back in her yard.. Just sick of it..

Quote Originally Posted by geo_wny
    My neighbor has a large Maple tree that in on the border of my property, the tree its self is on her land but the branches and the top of the tree are hanging on my side to the point where the branches are hanging over my roof 35' away. The tree has a disease and it looks like the tree is dying, most of the bottom branches are falling off (on my car and all over my driveway) just the very top of the tree has leaves. The tree is angled so if it were to fall it would fall on my bedroom I have talked to my neighbor and she is against having the branches trimmed (I know I can trim the branches on my side of the property line) she states that she doesn't want to cut the tree down nor does she have the money to do it. I offered to pay half to have it cut down she said no. I had a couple of tree people give me an estimate to cut the branches down on my side, problem is they would have to use a lift because there is no way for them to get to the tree branches so the estimates I have had were in the 2k dollar range and that still doesn't guarantee the tree won’t fall on my house . To get the tree cut down it would only be $800-1000 because they could climb the tree. I know if my neighbors’ tree falls on my house it would have to be covered by my home owners (which is BS in my opinion) so at this point do I have any other options? Has anyone else gone through this? My neighbor is a nice lady but I care more about my house and my family's safety
    Its called home owners insurance. Or as some of the pinheads on this board say. Move. Wait you are a school teacher get some of the boys and do the job your self.

Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEDNY
    Had a simular problem in 1999.
    We had been in my current abode a few years
    My property line with my neighbor was lined with large white pines.
    About half were rooted on my side.

Everytime we had a storm, large branches would fall on my roof.
    I approached my neighbor and asked about splitting the costs for removal/pruning.
    He wasn't interested.

Then hurricane Floyd came threw and knocked 2 of them down.
    One slicing thru my electric service.
    Took 3 days to repair
    I called the Town and was told they couldn't force my neighbor to deal with the trees.

So I hired a tree guy who took down all the trees rooted on my property and pruned ALL the branches on my side.
    This took all the weight off my side and made the trees lean toward my neighbors property.

A year later.
    A big storm downed one of HIS trees and smashed thru his deck.

Like The Fram man says.
    Pay me now or....
    Pay me later.
    I was pretty much in the same situation. I hired a local tree company to come in and trim back the branches that were hanging over on my side. I'm waiting for a big winter storm to come along and topple her trees.

Last year, two of mine were partly lifted out of the ground, so I had them taken down pronto so they didn't crash into my neighbors' backyards (they weren't near anybody's house!).
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

I wonder if i am better off paying the 2k it is making me nervous, Its sad i can get it completely removed for half the price, i even told her after the estimates i would pay for complete removel and she still said no... This morning i was up early and started throwing the broken branches back in her yard.. Just sick of it..
    I'd get a few more estimates. The guys who trimmed my tree climbed the tree to cut the branches and dragged them out between the houses.

Sometimes you can get a small time guy rather than a bigger company that will do it a lot cheaper, although you do need to be sure they all have insurance.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Get the branches cut off so that they pose no danger to you or your property. This way should something happen, it's on her property and not yours.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

If this tree is diseased like you say, I would suggest consulting an arborist and a lawyer. If what you say is true, it poses an immediate danger not only to your personal property, but to you and your family. Maybe a lawyer can use the courts to make her take it down.

And if you decide to just pay someone to trim back the branches on your property, be careful she doesn't turn around and sue you for causing her tree to become diseased.

Either way, I'd get some legal advice............
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers77
    If this tree is diseased like you say, I would suggest consulting an arborist and a lawyer. If what you say is true, it poses an immediate danger not only to your personal property, but to you and your family. Maybe a lawyer can use the courts to make her take it down.

And if you decide to just pay someone to trim back the branches on your property, be careful she doesn't turn around and sue you for causing her tree to become diseased.

Either way, I'd get some legal advice............

Good point, i think it is diseased, i'm not a tree expert but there is a green and white "fungus" growing from the base up to 30/40' up the tree also all the lower branches are failing off and there are hardly any leaves on the tree and there were barely any leaves all summer.

Good point, i think it is diseased, i'm not a tree expert but there is a green and white "fungus" growing from the base up to 30/40' up the tree also all the lower branches are failing off and there are hardly any leaves on the tree and there were barely any leaves all summer.
    Sounds like lichens. Which is generally accepted as a very good thing, not a bad thing. The leaf and branch problems are probably not related to this and might be cause for concern in regards to the health of the tree.
    Take a picture and take it or send it to the co-op extension or a nursery that sells trees for confirmation.

I had a 35ft spruce crash onto my house this past winter during that horrible windstorm. I called the Tree Doctor in Clarence. They came out, limbed it, climbed it and sectioned the trunk into managable pieces. they neatly stacked it all at the edge of my driveway. I did not have them haul it to the curb as a friend of the family has an outdoor woodburning furnace.
    I also had to leave the stump because there was too much water and the lawn could not handle the equipment. Whole thing cost me $180.00

Thread Information