Thread: Hypocrite running the Niagara County Republican Committee

Hypocrite running the Niagara County Republican Committee

POLITICS: Common Council president backs Grear for state Senate

By Mark Scheer
    E-mail Mark
    Greater Niagara Newspapers

Common Council President John Lombardi realizes that he probably committed political suicide on Thursday.

He’s not worried, though. He said his career is less important than fighting against a corrupt political system that he believes has held Niagara County back for many, many years.

He is backing sheriff’s deputy Brian Grear against longtime incumbent George Maziarz of Newfane for the Republican nomination for the 62nd state Senate District.

“I want my kids to understand what is morally and ethically right,” Lombardi said.

The Republican, who has represented the city’s Fifth Ward for seven years, has enjoyed support from the local GOP in the past.

On Thursday, he denounced the practices of his party’s leaders, running the risk that he won’t get another nickel in campaign money should he choose to seek re-election.

In an open criticism of GOP Chairman Henry Wojtaszek and Maziarz, Lombardi on Thursday discussed his decision to take a stand against the two men he believes have threatened and intimidated their way into controlling much of what happens in local political circles and government offices.

Lombardi suggested that Wojtaszek and Maziarz often intimidate elected leaders into doing their bidding by threatening them with the loss of campaign funding, political jobs, appointments, endorsements from minor parties and other perks.

Lombardi claims he personally incurred the wrath of the party leaders this spring when he received a scolding from a “high-ranking Republican official” who told him his interest in helping sheriff's deputy Brian Grear secure the party’s nomination for sheriff placed him in a position to be removed as Common Council president unless he “straightened himself out” and “made amends” with Maziarz.

Lombardi’s comments came during a news conference at Widewaters Marina, where he publicly endorsed Grear, who is now attempting to defeat Maziarz in a race for the 62nd State Senate District.

The Republican Party as run by Henry Wojtaszek — and 99 percent at the direction of Maziarz — is not the Republican Party that most of Niagara County’s proud citizens are fond of or would even recognize,” Lombardi said. “The list of names of hard-working, dedicated Republicans who have been treated harshly, for no apparent reason, is very, very long.”

Bob Johnston, chairman of the Republican Party’s committee in the Town of Royalton, joined Lombardi in endorsing Grear on Thursday. He said he, too, has grown dissatisfied with the current party leadership under Wojtaszek. Johnston said he believed Grear deserved the nomination over the party’s endorsed candidate for the sheriff’s race, Niagara Falls Police Chief of Detectives Ernest Palmer. Instead, Johnston said, Wojtaszek and Maziarz pushed Palmer as the preferred candidate, despite support for Grear among many committee members. Both he and Lombardi also cited the 142nd Assembly District race as another example of the party leaders overstepping their bounds, noting that Wojtaszek is throwing support behind challenger Jane Corwin, even though many rank-and-file committee members preferred incumbent Mike Cole.

Like Lombardi, Johnston said he got the message that his continued support of Grear was not appreciated by party bosses, who asked for his resignation as the town party’s chairman.

“They said if I don’t step down, the county wouldn’t give the town any support,” Johnston said. “I told them to tell them ‘I’m not leaving; I’m here to stay.’ ”

Wojtaszek described Lombardi as “disgruntled,” saying the council president wanted the party chairman to give him a job. Wojtaszek said Lombardi has asked him for a position at least a dozen times this year, and each time, he said he told him there were none available and never would be.

“I told him that’s not how we do business here,” Wojtaszek said. “We do not create jobs for people who think they deserve one.”

Wojtaszek downplayed Lombardi’s description of party operations, saying committee members are free to vote for the candidates of their choice and the party’s hierarchy determines the level of campaign support necessary for each race. He disagreed with the assertion that there was strong support for Grear as a sheriff’s candidate, saying the overwhelming majority of committee members preferred Palmer.

As for Maziarz’s involvement in day-to-day party activities, Wojtaszek said he handles most of the duties because the senator is to busy with his work in his district and in Albany.

“I’m the chairman of the party,” Wojtaszek said. “George is a state senator. He does his job and he does it very well.”

Maziarz’s office responded with some endorsements of their own. The senator announced that 13 local officials were throwing their collective endorsement behind his re-election bid. The list included Niagara County legislators Rick Updegrove, Tony Nemi and Keith McNall, City of Lockport Alderman-at-Large Joe Kibler and First Ward Alderwoman Richelle Pasceri, Lockport City Treasurer Mike White, Former Lockport City Treasurer Jim Ashcraft, Town of Lockport Deputy Supervisor Debbie Gaskill, Town of Lockport Council Member Mark Crocker, Town of Lockport Council Member Paul Siejak, Town of Lockport Council Member Cheryl Antkowiak, Town of Lockport Council Member Paul Pettit and Lockport Town Clerk Nancy Brooks.

“By working together, we have accomplished some tremendous things that are moving Eastern Niagara County in the right direction, and I look forward to continuing these efforts,” Maziarz said.

Lockport Mayor Michael Tucker called Maziarz a tremendous ally for the city.

”So much of the progress that has been made in the revitalization of downtown Lockport is directly attributable to the efforts of Senator Maziarz,” he said.

Grear begged to differ, saying the community has continued to suffer, while Maziarz and his supporters have gained.

“If greed, corruption and the good-old boy network were thriving in Western New York, I’d join right up,” Grear said. “But, it’s not. We have at least 40 years of straight economic decline. Can we afford the good-old-boy network rules in Western New York any longer? I say no.”

Lombardi and Johnston said many Republican representatives in local government are afraid to challenge Maziarz or Wojtaszek. They said much of the fear relates to concern over the possibility that the party would use its resources to run another candidate against them during a primary election. In many cases, they said, the potential loss of the party’s backing is too big a risk for them to take.

“There’s no opportunities out there for the honest guy who wants to run,” Lombardi said.

“I urge other elected officials who know the plight we face to come forward and join us,” he added. “In unity, there is strength.”

Contact reporter Mark Scheer at 282-2311, ext. 2250

http://www.lockportjournal.com/local...249015707.html

So Wojtaszek and Co. get mad when their committee people endorse candidates they dont support, but find it perfectly acceptable to endorse non-endorsed Republican candidates? Talk about being hypocrites....

George aint getting my vote.He is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    I believe he prefers to be called "King George" and the day he is finally out of office will be a very good day.
    Politics is more difficult than physics
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by marli
    I believe he prefers to be called "King George" and the day he is finally out of office will be a very good day.
    I will buy that and if Francine Delmonte takes a hike that also will be a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    Takes one to know one.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel
    Takes one to know one.

You stalking me manny?

Thread Information