Thread: Sherwood Speaks

Sherwood Speaks

OK, so the first ad piece is out for the Councilman position, and it's from Richard Sherwood for the Dem primary. For anyone that is not a registered Dem (I'm not one either) and would like the info from the flyer, here it is:

Town Board Members must be committed to the needs of the community. I believe that I have the qualifications, experience and dedication to see that Town Government functions in it's proper capacity.

I respectfully request your vote in the Democratic Primary, Tuesday, September 9th for Town Councilman.

-Richard J. Sherwood

His positions:

Police/Court Building

In 2003 Supervisor Giza, Councilmembers Stempniak and Ruffino approved a $1.855 million bond to purchase an industrial property on Walden Avenue to convert into a Police Station/Court. Nothing has been done to renovate the building. The Town must sell this costly mistake and construct a new Police/Court building.

Depew Library

The Town owns the former library building in Depew which was closed in 2005. It sits vacant while taxpayers continue paying upkeep and utilities of $12,000 per year (2008 Town Budget). I propose offices in this building for the Recreation Department and the library area as a Community Resource Computer Center for Town residents.

Town Vehicles-accountability

The Supervisor spent $32,000 of taxpayer money on a Chevy Tahoe when there was no discussion with Councilmembers about vehicles on state bid which cost much less. The less costly state bid 4x4 SUVs were Chevy Trailblazer $20,473, Dodge Durango $21,050 and Jeep Grand Cherokee $20,722. Why did the Supervisor feel entitled to spend $12,000 more than he had to?

End the Health Insurance Buyout of Elected Officials Which My Opponent John Abraham has defended

Using the Freedom of Information Law I have discovered that Supervisor Giza, Councilmembers Stempniak, Ruffino and Abraham together with Town Clerk Coleman are selling back their health insurance to the Town. In 1989 the Town Board offered a buyout to employees of town health insurance if they had insurance through a spouse or other employment. It was not the intention to provide a buyout to elected officials. Town personnel rules define "employees" as those working for the Town other than elected officials

Supervisor Giza.........over $47,000 since 1996
    Councilmember Stempniak.........over $42,000 since 1998
    Councilmember Ruffino.........over $31,000 since 2002
    Town Clerk Coleman........over $35,000 since 2001

Adopt A New Ethics Policy

The Town Board must prohibit elected officials for taking gifts of more than $75.00 consistent with 805-a General Municipal Law, the "State Ethics Government Law". Supervisor Giza and Councilmembers Stempniak and Ruffino have ignored 805-a GML. In 2007 at the Association Of Towns Conference in NYC authorities from an outside law firm which does the Town's bond work and was recently engaged by the Town at $226 per hour hosted Giza, Stempniak, Ruffino and family members for dinner. The night before they were hosted by an engineering firm which thereafter was awarded a $135,000 contract for water line work. The proposal by a different engineering firm could have saved taxpayers $33,000.

So there you go, the first positions from a candidate running for Town Councilmember in the Democratic Primary.

In fairness to the other candidates, I will post any info that is out there for them also. It's nice to have a choice for a change, isn't it? And I think it's necessary for anyone that wants to know where they stand to have that information.

On a related note, there was a document posted in another thread a while back relating to a lawsuit filed between Town Board members and former Town Attorney Richard Sherwood. What was believed to be a document with the Town Board suing Richard Sherwood isn't exactly so. The document posted in that thread has been updated to read as follows:

DOCUMENT DETAIL: (COURT)
    Doc Type: 200
    Doc Group: INDEX
    CFN: 2008122293
    Date/Time: 06/13/2008 15:58
    Book Type: K
    Book/Page: 78/4345
    Updated Date:
    Index #: I 2008006993
    ASG CAL#:

Parties
    D TOWN OF LANCASTER
    D TOWN OF LANCASTER TOWN BOARD
    D GIZA ROBERT H
    D STEMPNIAK DONNA
    D RUFFINO RONALD
    D ABRAHAM JOHN
    R SHERWOOD RICHARD J

Reference
    06/13/2008 NO PAPERS
    08/21/2008 AFF SVC(3)

The bottom date, 08/21/2008, refers to the date that the party being sued was served. Unlike what was believed to be the party pursuing the litigation being the Town Board, it is actually Richard Sherwood suing the Town Board.

From what I have been told, the lawsuit is in regards to approximately 300 days of accrued sick time and vacation buyouts that the Town has refused to pay Sherwood after his dismissal earlier this year. A court date was set for the first week in September, however the Town's attorney asked for the hearing to be postponed, which was granted and now the hearing is scheduled for mid-September.

Odd how they wanted this postponed until after the primary. Coincidence?

As much as I have certainly had my differences with Mr. Sherwood on this message board, I do find it sad that this man did his job for a very long time and is now getting stiffed by the Town, yet the Town Board members have no problem at all taking a $6000 Health Insurance buyout for themselves (see the total numbers above).

I gotta get me one of those Town Board jobs.

"I have some of the more experienced people in the legislature working for me. That's why my monetary situation is different." - State Senator Dale Volker when asked about cutting his office expenses.

"It's a perfect example of you need to get out and vote because all your votes count".
    Mark Montour- Democratic, Republican, Independence, Conservative and Working Families parties candidate for Lancaster Town Justice

"I don't think it was luck" -Donna Stempniak, unopposed candidate for Lancaster Town Council on winning re-election.

“What these towns are about to do, if they have their way, is kill the goose that laid the golden egg” -Victor Martucci, vice president of Marrano Marc/Equity in response to local towns opposing the 339-y condo law.

I received a get out the vote voice mail message from John Abraham:

"Hi, this is John Abraham
    I was appointed as your town council man in January.
    Since assuming office I have worked hard to maintain the quality of life that you have come to enjoy here in Lancaster. I will be running in the Democratic primary on September 9 and I’m asking for your support. As the endorsed democrat, I have spent my summer walking door-to-door to ask the taxpayers of Lancaster what their concerns are. I am the only candidate in the primary that took the time to do so. I have enjoyed this process and have learned an awful lot, while talking to the residents about the needs of our community. I would like to continue working for you. I humbly ask for you to cast your vote for me, John Abraham, on Tuesday, September 9. Polls are open from 6am to 9pm. Thank you for your time."

"learned an awful lot"
    That detailed explanation means he learned of their concerns but not planning on acting on them

"maintain the quality of life that you have come to enjoy"
    Working to maintain the status quo

"spent my summer walking door-to-door"
    Heh, he's a teacher, he's off 2½ months in the summer

"ask for you to cast your vote for me, John Abraham"
    NOT IN YOUR LIFE

Georgia L Schlager

I'll give Abraham this much -- he seems to be really working it.

I've seen him working around countless times.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    I'll give Abraham this much -- he seems to be really working it.

I've seen him working around countless times.
    I have seen him out there working the crowd on numerous occasions. Got to give him an "A" for effort, but a failing grade for substance - unless his message is that everything is just peachy in Lancaster and he supports the status quo!

Quote Originally Posted by pudge
    I have seen him out there working the crowd on numerous occasions. Got to give him an "A" for effort, but a failing grade for substance - unless his message is that everything is just peachy in Lancaster and he supports the status quo!

Maybe he's just trying to get some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Maybe he's just trying to get some exercise.
    Abraham is out thre doing what it takes to get elected. But his message and recent mailer show him embraced by all elected town officials but one, namely, Councilman Amatura.

Abraham, a supposed "Conservative" is but another Giza minion. What Dan T. Warren wrote in his last front page post parallels what is taking place in Lancaster.

"The Open Meetings Law requires that the people be allowed to observe the debate and discussion of our legislative representatives on public business. Recently there has been the beginning of robust and open debate and discussion of public business which has not been present in many years. Some have made comments of the board members “fighting”; this is democracy the absence of fighting is one indication of a puppet government ran by a dictator. "

Quote Originally Posted by gorja

"spent my summer walking door-to-door"
    Heh, he's a teacher, he's off 2½ months in the summer
    Unless he taught summer school, then he only had August off.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

What would Sherwood say?

Ding-dong, the 175 commemorative bell is back! There is a resolution on Monday evening's Town Board agenda to approve the receipt of a grant from Assemblyman Dennis Gabryszak for $15,000 to purchase the commemorative bell that Councilman Ron Ruffino has been working on.

Unlike the $32,000 bell project the town just deep-sixed because they didn't get enough grant money to cover it, does this mean the town will now pursue the purchase of the initial designed bell or a smaller version?

Regardless, at the time the State is in big financial doo-doo, should it be spending money for non essential items? The ringing of the Westwood clock is enough noise to drive one crazy without having a clock chiming in between.

I just hear clocks Ruffino saying, "I's (cost) not coming from town taxpayer money." Naw, we don't pay any of those state taxes, do we?

What would Sherwood say on this type spending?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why not let the community raise the money to get a bell..

Originally Posted by WNYresident

Why not let the community raise the money to get a bell.
    Better yet, for what reason do we need a $15,000 bell anyway? Between bells and clocks, Ruffino's chucked away a good chunk of taxpayer money. Couldn't this money be spent more wisely?

With the unplanned growth of this town, think of how many stop signs we could buy that will be needed for the side streets with all of the new interconnected developments on the way.

How about some new pumps to help clear out basements from all of the pushing of water that's being done here.

Hell, just give it to the food pantry, the way that taxes keep rising and revals keep affecting those taxes, more and more people will be heading there.

Someone needs to let Ruffino know that taxpayer money isn't his to buy toys with.

"I have some of the more experienced people in the legislature working for me. That's why my monetary situation is different." - State Senator Dale Volker when asked about cutting his office expenses.

"It's a perfect example of you need to get out and vote because all your votes count".
    Mark Montour- Democratic, Republican, Independence, Conservative and Working Families parties candidate for Lancaster Town Justice

"I don't think it was luck" -Donna Stempniak, unopposed candidate for Lancaster Town Council on winning re-election.

“What these towns are about to do, if they have their way, is kill the goose that laid the golden egg” -Victor Martucci, vice president of Marrano Marc/Equity in response to local towns opposing the 339-y condo law.

The idea of purchasing bells and clocks just tells me that the town/village has collected too much money from it's taxpayers. They don't know what to do with the money so they're going to go buy stuff. Or, go into debt paying for the other half of a bell.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

This years elections in the town will come and go and what everyone has to understand that next year the same seat is up for election along with Ronnie's seat the bell-man, and one cann't forget the process to get two at a time to cut the control of the Supervisor. Just think Giza without his goons to control the vote would jump out his office window. (p.s.) his office is in the basement of town hall!

Thread Information