Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dennis Gabryszak

Dennis Gabryszak

I see the guy at the corner of my street has a Dennis Gabryszak sign on his front lawn. What exactly has Gabryszak done while he's been an assemblymember to improve our life here in Erie County? Besides free veterans plates and free parking for senior citizens.

What are Assembly Members supposed to do?

Seriously, what's their function?

Quote Originally Posted by therising

I have no idea, but from what i read from his web site I think I could do his job. Looks like easy pay and i have the face of a politician.

Quote Originally Posted by therising

I would imagine it is the same as Members of the House of Representatives. Enact legislation and pass a state budget.

Quote Originally Posted by kableguy
    I see the guy at the corner of my street has a Dennis Gabryszak sign on his front lawn. What exactly has Gabryszak done while he's been an assemblymember to improve our life here in Erie County? Besides free veterans plates and free parking for senior citizens.
    I posted this in another thread, but here is what Gabby has done for the good people of Cheektowaga:

Forget all the mailings Dennis sends out saying how great he is.

This is all you need to read to see what Dennis has done to Chektowaga during his twenty-some years of "service" to the taxpayers of Cheektowaga and now Lancaster:

November 7, 1990
    TOWN TURNS DOWN GOLF COURSE FUNDING
    CHEEKTOWAGA DENIED ADDITIONAL $1.9 MILLION BY 12,260-5,159 VOTE

October 20, 1993
    CHEEKTOWAGA TURNS DOWN GOLF COURSE TAX-FREE FINANCING PLAN APPARENTLY FAILS TO MAKE IMPACT ON VOTERS
    3,954 or 47.6 percent in favor and 4,352 or 52.4 percent opposed

Yet after 25 years of talk he finally pushed the golf course to be built. Trust me taxpayers paid for it eventhough they twice voted against using town funds to finance it.

Taxes

November 15, 1991
    CHEEKTOWAGA BUDGET RAISES TAX RATE 14.7% INCREASE BLAMED ON UNION RELUCTANCE TO TRIM FRINGES, DROP IN SALES TAX

February 2, 1993
    CHEEKTOWAGA HIKES DEPARTMENT HEADS' PAY INCREASES ARE ALSO APPROVED FOR APPOINTED OFFICIALS, NON-UNION STAFF
    The Cheektowaga Town Board approved 3.5 percent raises Monday for nearly all department heads, other appointed town officials and non-union employees. Town Engineer Chester L. Bryan, apparently the only exception, received a 4 percent raise. elected officials got 5 percent raises.

October 2, 1993
    BUDGET PLAN SPELLS HIKE IN CHEEKTOWAGA
    Cheektowaga's proposed 1994 budget calls for a 6.1 percent increase in the property tax rate outside the villages and increases of 9 and 10 percent in the villages.

October 27, 1993
    SENIOR CITIZENS HIT CHEEKTOWAGA BUDGET BOARD MEMBERS ARE URGED TO ELIMINATE 4% PAY RAISES, CUT SPENDING
    Senior citizens on limited income urged the Cheektowaga Town Board Tuesday to cut the proposed 1994 budget and eliminate 4 percent raises for town officials.

November 2, 1993
    CHEEKTOWAGA BUDGET TRIMS TAX HIKES
    The Cheektowaga Town Board adopted a $47 million budget Monday, trimming projected increases in property-tax rates outside the villages from 6 percent to 2.9 percent

October 4, 1994
    GABRYSZAK PROPOSES $51.1 MILLION BUDGET 4.5% PAY HIKE FOR CHEEKTOWAGA EMPLOYEES HELPS DRIVE UP SPENDING

November 8, 1994
    CHEEKTOWAGA TOWN BOARD ADOPTS BUDGET PLAN CARRIES MINIMAL TAX INCREASE; SOME RESIDENTS WILL SEE DECREASE IN RATE
    The $51 million budget includes 4.5 percent pay increases for most town employees, including the supervisor, Town Board, town clerk and highway superintendent.

October 3, 1995
    DISPATCHERS GET 10% RAISE OVER 3 YEARS

GABRYSZAK UNVEILS $52.6 MILLION BUDGET
    October 5, 1995
    Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak has unveiled a $52.6 million tentative 1996 budget that holds spending for services such as police, recreation and administration to a 2.5 percent increase.

November 7, 1995
    $52.4 MILLION PLAN HIKES TAX RATE 44 CENTS

July 10, 1996
    3 PERCENT RAISES OK'D FOR NON-UNION EMPLOYEES

July 25, 1996
    CHEEKTOWAGA GROUP EMBARKS ON VISIT TO SISTER CITY IN POLAND
    Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak, Police Chief Bruce D. Chamberlin and William E. Scarafia, president of the Cheektowaga Chamber of Commerce, are among the Cheektowagans who will visit Lowicz, tour the city and discuss trade opportunities with Lowicz officials. The group will travel to Toronto to board a plane to Warsaw.

October 2, 1996
    GABRYSZAK PLAN SEEKS 3.5% BOOST IN TAXES FOR THOSE OUTSIDE VILLAGES

October 29, 1996
    RESIDENTS QUESTION RAISES FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS
    Several residents lashed out at a budget hearing against the proposed raises, which range from 3 percent to more than 5 percent. "Why would there be a wage increase?" asked one woman. "I don't feel this should go on every year like this."

November 5, 1996
    TOWN BOARD ADOPTS $54 MILLION BUDGET
    The Cheektowaga Town Board Monday night adopted a $54 million budget that provides pay raises for some elected officials and increases taxes about 2.9 percent, or 36 cents per $1,000 of assessed valuation, for many residents.

October 1, 1997
    GABRYSZAK PLAN HIKES TAX RATE BY 35 CENTS
    Cheektowaga residents living outside the villages would see a 2.5 percent tax increase next year under a tentative town budget submitted by Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak Tuesday afternoon.
    The preliminary 1998 spending plan would raise town taxes 35 cents per $1,000 assessed valuation for Cheektowaga residents living outside the villages

October 2, 1997
    SPENDING IS OUTLINED IN PROPOSED GABRYSZAK BUDGET
    A few more police officers would be put on Cheektowaga streets in 1998; some town officials would see a pay hike; and the town work force would be cut through attrition.

October 28, 1997
    RESIDENTS ASK JUSTIFICATION FOR TAX INCREASE
    Cheektowaga taxes are expected to go up 2.5 percent next year, and Monday night Cheektowaga residents asked the Town Board why.
    Amherst's tentative 1998 budget carries no tax increase, Erie County plans a tax freeze and Orchard Park is expected to see a tax decrease next year, said Alfred Piniarski of The Avenue. "Why can't we do the same thing?"

November 4, 1997
    FINAL BUDGET PUTS TAX BOOST AT 22 CENTS PER $1,000

October 2, 1998
    '99 INCREASE LESS THAN 1% FOR MOST TAXPAYERS

October 11, 1998
    SALARIES FOR TOWN SUPERVISORS SEEM TO DEFY EXPLANATION
    Budgets are tight in the county's big suburbs, and there's mounting public pressure to keep taxes down. But that isn't stopping several town supervisors from giving themselves modest pay raises next year.

October 21, 1998
    OFFICIALS' SALARIES, RAISES COME UNDER FIRE
    1999 budget -- which raises taxes about a half percent -- brought out the usual taxpayer watchdogs, who criticized Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak and Town Board members for the 3 percent raises budgeted for them next year.

November 17, 1998
    TOWN'S '99 BUDGET TRIMS TAX RATE HALF A PERCENT

GABRYSZAK NEARLY LOSES HOME TO TAX FORECLOSURE
    February 17, 1999
    Cheektowaga Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak has escaped foreclosure on his $175,000 home by paying $4,054 in back property taxes and penalties.
    Gabryszak, Erie County's highest-paid town supervisor, owed taxes to the town and the county on his Ely Road house from 1996 and 1998. Foreclosure proceedings -- prompted by the 1996 back taxes -- started in December, according to county real property records. The foreclosure would have occurred in June.
    Gabryszak, however, paid the back taxes -- including interest and penalties -- on Jan. 29.
    The town supervisor, who will earn $72,632 this year, called the matter an oversight. He said he paid the bill as soon as he became aware of it.
    "It's an embarrassment for me," Gabryszak said. "When it was brought to my attention, it was paid off."
    "I didn't get any breaks; I didn't ask for any favorable treatment," Gabryszak said. "There was a considerable amount of penalty and interest paid. I pay my taxes like everyone else."
    Gabryszak had his home was built in 1993. It is assessed at $114,000, which translates into a full value of about $175,000, according to records.
    The supervisor paid all his taxes on time -- county and town, as well as school -- for the first few years that he was in the house.
    In 1996, Gabryszak paid all but $900 of his $3,460 town and county tax bill on time, records show.

September 1, 1999
    GABRYSZAK BATTLE WITH ROGOWSKI WORRIES DEMOCRATS
    When the county's highest-paid town supervisor admitted earlier this year he had neglected to pay all of his property taxes for two years, his political rivals just had to smile.
    Dennis H. Gabryszak, Cheektowaga's town supervisor since 1993, wouldn't dare run for re-election now, they figured. When you reign over a highly taxed town and then fail to pay your own bill, voters tend to get upset.

September 4, 1999
    ROGOWSKI COUNTERS CHARGE BY LISTING ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    Stung by Cheektowaga Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak's charge that "he hasn't done a damn thing" in public office...
    "The guy's obviously looking in the mirror when he talks about not doing anything," Council Member William P. Rogowski fumed.

September 22, 1999
    TOWN COULD SEE 3 TO 5 PERCENT TAX CUT FOR 2000

October 2, 1999
    BUDGET PLAN TRIMS TAX RATES WHILE RAISING TOWN SPENDING

October 10, 1999
    IF TOWNS CUT TAXES, FORGO RAISES, IT MUST BE ELECTION TIME

November 2, 1999
    TOWN BOARD ADOPTS BUDGET TRIMMING TAX RATE

December 28, 1999
    CHEEKTOWAGA BOARD FREEZES OWN, SUPERVISOR'S PAY
    Cheektowaga officials Monday night adopted a pay scale that freezes the salary of the town supervisor and council members for a year and gives most department heads an approximately 3 percent raise.

September 27, 2000
    NEW BUDGET IS SURE TO INCLUDE A TAX INCREASE, SUPERVISOR
    SAYS
    Cheektowaga Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak on Tuesday all but guaranteed that his 2001 budget, due to be filed Friday, will propose a town tax increase next year, the first since 1998.

October 22, 2000
    TOWNS' TOWERING TAXES ERIE COUNTY EXECUTIVE JOEL A. GIAMBRA CRITICIZES THE TAX INCREASES AS THE RESULT OF SHORTSIGHTEDNESS, SUGGESTING TOWN OFFICIALS HAVE BEEN BALANCING THEIR BUDGETS ... BY RAIDING SURPLUSES

November 7, 2000
    POLICE PRAISED AS BUDGET WITH 6.6% TAX RISE IS OK'D
    Town taxes will rise by 6.6 percent next year

October 21, 2001
    TOWN AIMS TO HOLD LINE ON SPENDING

October 30, 2001
    2002 BUDGETS' SPENDING ABOVE INFLATION RATE

November 2, 2001
    BUDGET RISES TO ISSUE IN COUNTY RACE
    First, Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak filed a proposed budget in September that would have raised taxes 13 percent. The proposed increase now stands at 12.3 percent, and the supervisor has guaranteed it will be lower when the budget is adopted

November 6, 2001
    TOWN BOARD, SUPERVISOR ARGUE OVER BUDGET
    "Once the tentative budget has been submitted to the Town Board it's the Town Board's responsibility to sit and work to reduce that," Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak said. "The Town Board isn't doing that.

November 20, 2001
    TOWN BOARD UNANIMOUSLY ADOPTS SPENDING PLAN

November 21, 2001
    DEPEW, SLOAN WILL PAY MORE IN TOWN'S NEW BUDGET
    Residents in the villages of Depew and Sloan will see double-digit increases in their town taxes under the 2002 budget adopted by the Cheektowaga Town Board. Their neighbors over the village line in the town will see their total tax bills go up about 6.75 percent next year.

January 9, 2002
    BOARD OKS 2.5% HIKE, BUT NOT FOR ITSELF
    MOST ELECTED AND APPOINTED OF FICIALS- except Town Board members -- in Cheektowaga will be receiving a 2.5 percent increase in salaries this year.
    Council members, who have received less than a handful of raises in the last 15 years, did not take an increase for the eighth year in a row. They will be paid $18,552.

October 2, 2003
    TAXES UP 7% IN PROPOSED TOWN BUDGET
    Most Cheektowaga town employees would not see a pay increase for a second consecutive year, while most residents would see their town taxes increased by more than 7 percent, under the tentative budget filed this week by Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak.
    The supervisor repeated the statement he made a year ago: Unless some agreement is made with unions on health benefits, there is no room for salary increases in the town budget. There will be 2 percent raises for about 30 department heads

November 18, 2003
    BUDGET PASSES WITH TAX INCREASE, RETURN OF RECYCLING
    The Cheektowaga Town Board on Monday night unanimously approved a 2004 budget that provides for recycling while increasing taxes 8.79 percent.

October 6, 2004
    FAMILIAR ISSUES DICTATING PROPOSED BUDGET HIKE
    "The vast majority of the increase in the budget is a result of salary, benefits and retirement," Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak said. Those are the same increases the town grappled with last year.

October 6, 2005
    Gabryszak projects tax rate increase below 4 percent in proposed budget
    "We did the things we had to do in previous years that were distasteful to some," he said. "We're seeing what we said would happen." Gabryszak's tentative 2006 budget totals $73.98 million, which is 4 percent higher

November 11, 2005
    Average tax bill in Cheektowaga will go up $40

October 3, 2006
    Tax rate slightly lower in Cheektowaga budget
    The $75.85 million budget proposed for next year would increase spending by 2.6 percent

October 9, 2006
    Budget to give 2.75% raise to workers, elected officials
    Salaries for town employees and elected officials in Cheektowaga would increase 2.75 percent under the proposed budget for 2007.
    The 2.75 percent increase is included in union contracts, and non-union employees will receive the same rate, Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak said.

Source: Buffalo News

This makes me laugh every time I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarThePirate
    This makes me laugh every time I see it.
    Laugh or cry?

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    Laugh or cry?
    I'm done crying for the area. Things need to change.

I am not saying it was you or anyone else that compiled the list... but every time I see it, I picture some guy with a cigarette and a cup of coffee at his computer at 4 AM pouring over records and compiling it. Its certainly compelling and comprehensive as well. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarThePirate
    I'm done crying for the area. Things need to change.

I am not saying it was you or anyone else that compiled the list... but every time I see it, I picture some guy with a cigarette and a cup of coffee at his computer at 4 AM pouring over records and compiling it. Its certainly compelling and comprehensive as well. Wow.
    Haha, I dont smoke or drink coffee but I did get bored (and fed up) one night and put the list together. It certainly is sad though.

But what has he done since going to the Assembly that is worth re-election! Again I read from his web site about some Sponsored Legislation he wants passed. "Like BILL NO A06113" What kid wants to learn about how labor unions destroy american industries.If he worthless then he must go to the unemployment line.

What is disappointing is an assemblyman can do some good for the community - especially this community - by being its face in Albany. Its easy for the NY City and Albany people to get representation but we are so far away from the power centers, we need someone dynamic in office who works for us. I don't really see that happening with any of our current elected people.

Quote Originally Posted by kableguy
    But what has he done since going to the Assembly that is worth re-election! Again I read from his web site about some Sponsored Legislation he wants passed. "Like BILL NO A06113" What kid wants to learn about how labor unions destroy american industries.If he worthless then he must go to the unemployment line.
    Since he has been in office he has supported Sheldon Silver, voted for huge budget increases while the revenues continued to shrink leading to our current budget shortfalls and has offered automatic pay raises for Assemblymen.

Notice how Gabby doesnt have any defenders here?

Of course he is going side with Silver he is a kiss ass. The problem with these guys are........ we can't rock the boat. This guy is the biggest anti labor guy there is but he will give himself more cash.
    Last edited by cheekman; September 5th, 2008 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    Since he has been in office he has supported Sheldon Silver, voted for huge budget increases while the revenues continued to shrink leading to our current budget shortfalls and has offered automatic pay raises for Assemblymen.

Notice how Gabby doesnt have any defenders here?
    GABBY SUCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman
    Of course he is going side with Silver he is a kiss ass. The problem with these guys are........ we can't rock the boat. This guy is the biggest anti labor guy there is but he will give himself more cash.
    If you think Gabby is anti-labor you gotta be on something...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information