Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A non-partisan perspective. . .

A non-partisan perspective. . .

A thought, inspired by zanna:

Well, duh. I'm partisan and I've never pretended to be otherwise. But humor me for a minute and, in your mind, remove any party affiliation to McCain's surely-soon-to-dropped VP. Outside of hardcore McCain supporters and social conservatives, this pick is going over like a fart in church - the kind where people eventually start to wonder if the offender is having health problems and that the paint might start peeling.

72 years old is only three years shy of the average American male life expectancy. That's not even one term. If you don't think the capability of the VP stepping into the oval office is a legitimate question, I'm sure that you're not taking an honest look at the ticket.

I don't mean to harp on McCain for his age. I hope he is allowed to live good long life past the statistical average - at least half of us will. But this does put added pressure on McCain's pick for VP and, ultimately - though hopefully not, his successor.

Seriously ask yourself if you think Gov. Sarah Palin is even remotely qualified to the lead the free world?

In case you forgot, there's a couple wars going on. I've tried to find any information about her views (past statements and such) on foreign policy, more specifically the Middle East and all I can find is that her son is shipping-out to Iraq (may he return safely) and, from an article/interview circa February 2007, she really hasn't found time focus on Iraq and the GWOT™ enough to comment, being busy as the new Governor of Alaska and all. I find it refreshing she didn't lob a bunch talking points and the focus-tested jingoism adored by politicians of all stripes and instead gave, what appears to be a frank answer. A legitimate position for a sitting governor, for whom foreign policy is not really much of a concern. However, an unbelievable and totally unacceptable response for someone who would, later on, be on a presidential ticket

I hope she's boned up on her foreign policy knowledge and I'm sure she's being fed the talking points and jingoism as I type. But seriously, Cliff Notes™ ain't acceptable in my opinion, not while we're prosecuting two large scale military operations, and I doubt she's gonna have the time to really pour over and learn about what's been going on in that part of the world before she could legally be next-in-line to, arguably, the most powerful office in the world.

And that's just one part of the world. What's her position and/ or thoughts on the AIDS crisis in Africa? EU trade policies? Genocide in Darfur that is equipped by our largest importer and arguably biggest economic partner, China? Pakistan/India relations? China as a burgeoning super-power? I could go on for days and still not get through the list of international crap we have a real interest in. And while don't expect anyone to have an expert thumb on every issue, awareness would be nice and preferable for a VP. I don't see anything even coming close to indicating even a slight awareness of much outside of her job as governor before she was mentioned as a possible candidate. (Thus the part where her "executive experience" argument falls woefully flat.)

Odds are pretty good, given the supreme health care he has received for most of his life, McCain will beat the average and I genuinely hope he does. But age and health are much more important factors now that an absolute novice on the national political scene could possibly be the most powerful person in America. That should scare the crap out of anyone.

Ask yourself, is your mayor or town supervisor equipped to handle the awesome power and responsibility that comes with being an elected member of the executive branch? Because that's where the "bulk" of her "executive experience" lies. Though I do think McCain did bring up the fact she served on the city council and ran a PTA. All very admirable in their own right, but hardly what any rationale person would objectively called qualified to be first-in-line with reins of the Federal government.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

A quick second thought. . .

I cannot speak to her stewardship as a governor as I don't know enough about it and it's relatively brief (20 months, I think.) Though her popularity has plummeted of late - 90% (all-time high, I believe) to 67% (currently) - still likable, but she's got an abuse-of-power investigation hanging over her head, which will shortly be around her's and McCain's neck, that is planned to wrap-up sometime in October. An investigation that should have immediately disqualified her as a possible selection. Usually you're supposed to spring the "October Surprise" on your opponent, not offer it a spot on your ticket.

Who vetted this woman?
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    A quick second thought. . .

I cannot speak to her stewardship as a governor as I don't know enough about it and it's relatively brief (20 months, I think.) Though her popularity has plummeted of late - 90% (all-time high, I believe) to 67% (currently) - still likable, but she's got an abuse-of-power investigation hanging over her head, which will shortly be around her's and McCain's neck, that is planned to wrap-up sometime in October. An investigation that should have immediately disqualified her as a possible selection. Usually you're supposed to spring the "October Surprise" on your opponent, not offer it a spot on your ticket.

Who vetted this woman?
    Are you saying Gov. Palin should endorse a police officer who drinks beer in his patrol car and who fired a Taser at his 11-year-old stepson?

Unregistered
    Ask yourself, is your mayor or town supervisor equipped to handle the awesome power and responsibility that comes with being an elected member of the executive branch? Because that's where the "bulk" of her "executive experience" lies.
    you forgot Governor of the State of Alaska.

What executive experiance does Barack Obama have?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer
    Are you saying Gov. Palin should endorse a police officer who drinks beer in his patrol car and who fired a Taser at his 11-year-old stepson?
    Are you being dishonest or can you really not comprehend what you read? Go read what the whole sordid tale is about, then come back and pretend you understood what I wrote.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    Are you being dishonest or can you really not comprehend what you read? Go read what the whole sordid tale is about, then come back and pretend you understood what I wrote.
    \
    I read it, then asked a question. How about you try answering it

you forgot Governor of the State of Alaska.
    You don't know how to read and/or properly comprehend what you've read. I didn't forget Alaska, genius. I believe I mentioned numerous times, just not in the sentence you cherry-picked. And could you please explain (without bringing up Obama - as this question has nothing to do with him) how after 20 months at the smallest state house in the country, Gov. Sarah Palin could be even remotely considered qualified to be the VP of the USA?

(Remember, I'm asking you to defend her record and experience, not compare it to Obama's. So, for the moment, leave him out of it and please explain how 20 grand months as Governor. I know what you think about Obama, but defend Palin for a change.)
    What executive experiance does Barack Obama have?
    What "executive experience" does McCain? (Hint: exactly as much as Obama.) Given that, by your standard professed in this thread, Palin has much more "executive experience" than McCain, maybe he should cede the top spot to her. Evidently, it's a relatively rigorous qualification by you standards.

The cognitive dissonance is at balls-out full-tilt right now. It really is somewhat amazing to witness.

You guys really getting desperate. To the point where you've moved beyond disingenuous and have ventured for out into farce-land.

\
    I read it, then asked a question. How about you try answering it
    Except you didn't ask a real question that had anything to do with what I said. You made a baseless insinuation predicated on the false logic that failing to misuse your power as governor to get your ex-brother-in-law, who just happens to be in the middle of a messy custody battle, fired is somehow an endorsement of something or other.

- - - -

Why do you endorse wife-beaters? Because, statistically, I'm sure you are well acquainted with at least one guy who 'tunes-up' the Missus every once in a while. Why do you stand for that?

(See what I did there? Like your unanswered "question," I challenged you to defend my own made up conclusion.)

Unregistered
    I have defended her record and experience in numerous threads on this message board. You have consistently dismissed it.

Ive asked for Obama's records and experience and get no answer from you though .. I can understand that however, since Obama has NONE, ZERO, ZILTCH experience as an executive or a Washington OUTSIDER. How can you even say an Obama/Biden ticket is a vote for change and reform?

non-partisan perspective, my ass.
    Last edited by Ragin; September 1st, 2008 at 04:33 AM.

Face it, folks, McCain's use of her "running the PTA" is comprable to him saying "Hey, let me introduce you to the little woman." with a big, ol' smile on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by MERL J
    Face it, folks, McCain's use of her "running the PTA" is comprable to him saying "Hey, let me introduce you to the little woman." with a big, ol' smile on his face.

The irony is that Sarah most likely accomplished more on the PTA than BarryO did as a """""community organizer""""" (whatever THAT means)

I mean, Barry really was just learning how to be an urban black man during that time so he could be a "credible" black politician... not having had that opportunity for ethnic identification while in private schools in Hawaii and at Harvard

Face it, the reason she's on the ticket is simple, if you read between the lines. Palin's claim to fame (Republican sheep think she has fame anyway) is the Bridge To Nowhere thingy which she was for before she was against.

This bridge was used by McCain as an example of big bad earmarks, wasted taxpayer money. Now McCain knows that the Gov up in Alaska is a little hottie. So he gets her to change her position. Now she looks good and so does McCain. She gets attention by bringing up the Bridge To Nowhere thingy with the soundbite about, "if we need it, we'll pay for it". Soundbites get attention. McCain needs the attention, he's running for Pres. She gets the VP slot over many far more qualified candidates.

Why?

The answer is so simple. McCain has a thing for young tomatoes (not to be confused with Dan Quayle's potatoes or potatos or potaytoes). Cindy McCain, an heiress in her own right (much like Paris Hilton really, including drugs and stuff) is getting older, it's time to move to the next one. If he's elected, he'll be busy and won't have much time for the hooker or intern route, so he needs someone in house.

Got it yet?

Sarah Palin is the VP choice because...

McCain wants nookie!

Unregistered
    Since Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. is 47-years-old and the male life expectancy of a Kenyan at birth is 55.24, he should be able to just squeeze through two terms if elected.

Originally Posted by Surfing USA

Since Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. is 47-years-old and the male life expectancy of a Kenyan at birth is 55.24, he should be able to just squeeze through two terms if elected.
    So, if he makes it to 56 (removal by bullet doesn't count, yes, I am losing my faith in this greatly politically by design divided country) you'll agree that all of this non-US citizen garbage was just pandering sleeze.

Originally Posted by Foot Fungus

McCain wants nookie!
    Correction:
    McCain wants Nanookie!

Foot Fungus claims all intellectual property rights to the above. T-Shirts and bumper stickers coming soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information