Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The protest of county workers

Tony Fracasso - Admin

The protest of county workers

Think they have a right to protest or should they be helping to root out the curruption?

stevenco
    rooting out corruption is very dangerous and takes a special kind of animal

Buffalo "...and I've got a fine horse under me", NY
    Unions have a right to protest.

But (hold me, now) THEY GOT THEIR TAX INCREASE. Their jobs are safe for another year. What the hell are they protesting about? Instead of protesting, they should be dancing in the streets, whipped up into a bell-bottomed frenzy! The rest of us gotta take it up the tailpipe again.

They are out there screaming that the "five who voted against it better watch out!"

Well, based on the number of really aggitated taxpayers around here the last month, and that burning smell in the air, if I have to gamble on who gets ousted, it's gonna be the people who slapped us across the face with another tax increase that have a chunk taken out of their political careers.

Even the two local state boys voted against it.
    101st Airborne...
    Hill 937...
    10May69...

...'nuff said.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They are out there screaming that the "five who voted against it better watch out!"
    I think it's the other way around.. the 10 that sold out the residents of Western New York better watch out...

I hope yer right, buddy.
    101st Airborne...
    Hill 937...
    10May69...

...'nuff said.

That protest was more an action against Giambra and his method of governing and the tactics he uses in labor issues and his hiring practices.
    As for the legislatures in my view all 15 of them should be made to watch out. The sales tax issue aside, every one of them , Democrats and Republicans approved every budget Giambra put in front of them for the last 5 years. They knew about all the hiring, the vacation benefits , the cell phones and other perks for years yet they kept approving them with minimal protest each year . And you can include Naples in this too, she signs the checks so she had to know what was going on yet never said a word until she had to , ie, the News article and audit of the furniture and of course when she was running for Congress. You people want to send a real message , vote every last one of them out . That is the only way you will get the results you are looking for.

SBGuy, you are right as rain. I understand their disappointment with Giambra. I hate to see any workers lose their jobs as long as the pork chops are still in. That ain't right.
    101st Airborne...
    Hill 937...
    10May69...

...'nuff said.

Its not just the threat of losing their jobs , its also about the way this administration continously ignores labor issues and continues to threaten or intimidate people for speaking out . That Grand jury reprt was supposed to prevent that remember. Giambra and his people continue to act just as they did before , to them because Naylon merely got a slap on the wrist they still claim it a a " political action " not to be taken seriously . And these legislatures and I mean all of them have been advised of the problems and have said or done nothing . my friend , its goes way deeper than just the threat of losing a job.

County workers have more to lose with the nit-wits running the show than you or I.
    They see the corruption from the inside. The patronage jobs stay, the cell phones and cars.
    Meanwhile they the rank and file who actually do the work are the one's getting hit. Regular people who took a test to get thier jobs and just want to work. They have to deal with losing thier jobs while the Victor Getz types keep thiers, with a car , a cell phone, more vacation, and twice the pay.
    Add the fact that they have to pay more sales tax just like everyone else and you wonder what thier point is.
    Most county workers hate Giambra and are disgusted with the games played by the legislators. They want them out as much as you.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They knew about all the hiring, the vacation benefits , the cell phones and other perks for years yet they kept approving them with minimal protest each year . And you can include Naples in this too, she signs the checks so she had to know what was going on yet never said a word until she had to
    I would be very disapointed this is true about the legislators who even voted no. Why would you allow that to go on at all.

What would give Giambra the right once elected to walk into the job and physically add workers? I could see a few core people but that's about it...

Someone mentioned he hired hundreds of people since he's been in there.

Wasn't the county working rather fine basically before he got there? His whole point was he was going to do it better.

There are a few county employees who state there are a lot of friends and family plan type people.. People completely not qualified on the payroll.

Wouldn't they be a drag on productivity and moral?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by southbuffaloguy
    Its not just the threat of losing their jobs , its also about the way this administration continously ignores labor issues and continues to threaten or intimidate people for speaking out . That Grand jury reprt was supposed to prevent that remember. Giambra and his people continue to act just as they did before , to them because Naylon merely got a slap on the wrist they still claim it a a " political action " not to be taken seriously . And these legislatures and I mean all of them have been advised of the problems and have said or done nothing . my friend , its goes way deeper than just the threat of losing a job.
    Well if they all SPOKE out here we could get this cleaned up. How do they expect the public to be on thier side if we really don't have a clue exactly what is going on.

I'm still floored that they somehow spend $500,000 extra on furniture and cost overruns on some computer system they have.

Yes the naylon thing seemed weak the way it turned out.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WNYresident
    [B]I would be very disapointed this is true about the legislators who even voted no. Why would you allow that to go on at all.

Because no one wants to be the guy who cuts the skating rink down to three days a week, nobody wants to be the one who takes funding from the youth center.
    It is unfortunate but politicians don't get elected if they don't deliver to the organizations that deliver to them.
    Thats why the majority passed his sales tax increase.
    Job security.
    Isn't that what you want to change?
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Wny, that was me in a post " before the last election " that posted here and told you that in 2002 because of an early retirement incentive over 600 people retired from the county system . A golden opportunity to keep costs down and be the fiscal conservative he claimed to be . Yet in 2004 an audit by Naples showed that there were over 800 jobs added to the payroll. And by the way , not a word out of her on this from our faithful " county watchdog". And this is only one instance. By the way a lot of that furniture is still sitting in boxes , Have you heard any of our legislatures ask any questions about that?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by citymouse
    [B]
    Originally posted by WNYresident
    I would be very disapointed this is true about the legislators who even voted no. Why would you allow that to go on at all.

Because no one wants to be the guy who cuts the skating rink down to three days a week, nobody wants to be the one who takes funding from the youth center.
    You have a choice... salaries and hard work or skating rinks. YOu get to the point where the community is more important than the few that use these. There are a lot of things that can be cut before youth centers. THERE"S MILLIONS in the budget and some of these items are VERY tiny amounts in the overall budget.

Example is the libraries... I never use them but if the budget is 30,000,000 that's only $30 bucks per person seeing we have 1,000,000 people. That's like a TINY piece. I want to know what the other 98% is going for.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by southbuffaloguy
    And by the way , not a word out of her on this from our faithful " county watchdog". And this is only one instance. By the way a lot of that furniture is still sitting in boxes , Have you heard any of our legislatures ask any questions about that?
    How can they not want to know how this is going?

Isn't this why they took the position? to make erie county the best ran county in the states? We ant to attract people and businesses here...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information