Thread: Why was Black History Totally Distorted

Why was Black History Totally Distorted

"You will not exit this gripping book this same way you came in," says all- time professional basketball superstar Julius (Dr. J) Erving about the recently released book Return to Glory, which highlights significant accomplishments of African descendants since the dawn of civilization, exposes racist distortions and cover-ups of those achievements, analyzes examples of African American success stories and offers a process for individual healing, hoping and cross-cultural understanding.

Return to Glory calls for African Americans return to their pre-slavery historic greatness. It is written in a reader-friendly format with "time out" questions at each chapter’s end for reflection, personal analysis and application for action. Aimed at informing, building self-esteem, and mentoring black young adults as future leaders, Return to Glory is believed to be the first such book directed at this important "neglected generation" audience co-authored by a black man and a white man.

Co-author Don B. Griffin, who is African-American, has been the top human resources executive for a 350 million dollar corporation in the metro New York area, an historian and public popular speaker on Christian living and biblical applications for contemporary family life. Joel A. Freeman, a White man with a Ph. D. in counseling, has been chaplain for the NBA’s Washington Bullets / Wizards for 19 years ('79-'98), is president of The Freeman Institute™ management consulting firm in Maryland, coaches executives in their personal lives, and has authored four other widely acclaimed books. Plus Dr. Freeman facilitates a seminar program entitled: "A White Man's Journey Into Black History".

Badagry, *****ia -- Slave Trade History
    Historical Timeline
    of Ancient Egypt

Entertainer and educator Bill Cosby says, "Return to Glory offers young people an opportunity to see history and themselves in a new light. By exposing the deception is that we have come to accept as truth, Joel Freeman and Don Griffin challenge young people to think about who they are and what life is truly about." Dr. Ben Carson, Joe Frazier, Tony Campolo, Tony Evans, Bishop Porter (Promise Keepers), Lenny Moore, Melvin Forbes and many others have enthusiastically endorsed this book project.

The 184-page reader-friendly book, subtitled "The Powerful Stirring of the Black Man", is available in general market and religious bookstores and through the Internet -- an American book with a unique international message.
    Return to Glory is an essential tool for helping solve America's pervasive and vexing problems of racism. "Far too few men and boys -- both black and white -- are aware of the true nature of African-American heritage and of their immense potential for personal greatness in years ahead".

Don Griffin’s first half of Return to Glory begins by calling the historical "theft" of black historic contributions to civilization "the greatest rip-off of all time" because their true history was, in effect, stolen. He verifies that black Egyptians were the first people to invent science, engineering, and writing and to discover medicine, architecture, astronomy, agriculture, and much more. Yet, the heinous practice of slavery was justified in later years by a massive campaign of fabrications and deceit about black intelligence.

After citing highly credible "eyewitness" sources such as Herodotus and Diodorus for historical verification of accomplishments by black Africans, Griffin (15 pages of research notes in the rear of book) documents how "racism played far too big a role in the writing of black and African history."

In the book’s second half, Joel Freeman analyzes and describes destructive effects of racism on both the individual and in the American society. He takes the Return to Glory reader through a logical process of addressing racism: recognition, denial, anger, despair, resilience, and finally, developing a personal strategy for overcoming it. He describes and analyzes several experiences of successful African American men who have triumphed over racism by strong faith in God, resolve, education, hard work and family loyalty. Freeman asked these men about "The Moment" when they first realized they were considered "of less value" by some people just because of their skin’s color. Each man could recall, that moment -- an early life experience -- with painful, vivid detail.

In the final chapter, Freeman suggests that White readers give another copy of Return to Glory to a Black friend or associate as a statement of willingness to initiate improved understanding, empathy, healing and dialogue.

The book calls for trust in and obedience to God and commitment to spiritual values to enhance self-worth as the first step for a "return to glory" of Blacks’ splendid and historic past. An excellent mentoring / education tool.

The 45-minute film version of Return To Glory has been completed in the DVD format. Our goal is to donate a special DVD version to every juvenile detention center, prison and school (Middle, Junior High, Senior High, College, University) in America. Our youth need to be educated. We want to do our small part to help with this education. How can you help?

If after reading the book you would like more information about participating in the funding of the distribution of this film in your region of the world, check out the open letter inviting your participation. Also you can check out the web site (click below) totally dedicated to the making of this film.

An Open Letter:

Recently a Prison Chaplain reported, "We showed the film to approximately 350 inmates (Christians, Muslims, atheists, Black, White and Hispanic) at the Indian Creek Correctional Facility, Chesapeake, VA. Normally, when we do something like this with this many in attendance, there is a lot of talking and shuffling about. We work with these guys every week and I know how tough many of them are to reach. But while the film was being shown we were amazed because there was absolute silence in the entire auditorium for 45 minutes. You could have heard a pin drop. When the film was finished the entire group spontaneously stood up with a standing ovation. I saw quite a few with tears in their eyes. I have never seen anything quite like this before. In this prison we deal with a few men who are philosophers and thinkers. They love to debate everything. After seeing the film, they told me that they were blown away by the message of this film. They want a copy of the film for their library. I am sure that it will be watched many times. Based upon this single experience, I am confident that this Return To Glory film will have a positive impact in every prison across America."

An educator said, "...it fills a void in knowledge for all. The film was very accurate with the history and everyone can learn something, regardless...very inspirational."

Endorsed by such notables as Bill Cosby, Julius Erving, Ben Carson, Joe Frazier, Tony Campolo and Tony Evans, RETURN TO GLORY: THE POWERFUL STIRRING OF THE BLACK MAN has been enthusiastically received by an international readership from many regions including: West Africa, South Africa, North America, London, and the Caribbean. The visual, film version of the book is powerful!

Anything that motivates a people to greatness should be exhalted.

The first step to greatness is shedding the identity of victim.

Truth you should read the book Guns Germs and Steel.

Personaly I'm doing too well to be a victim. lol

But my question is why was history pertaining to african americans distorted here in america?

An educator said, " the presentation fills a void in knowledge for all.

Knowledge gives man direction, so if this knowledge wasn't privy to african american it explains why so many struggle up until this day with purpose in this life. hmmmm
    Last edited by Bringthetruth; August 21st, 2008 at 10:02 AM.

Heheh....the filters still won't let you type n-i-g-e-r-i-a....

BTT, in honest answer to your question, because the victors get to write the history books. And it's rare to see instances where whitey (to borrow a term) didn't eventually get over.

Now, that's not to say that through study and scholarship a greater understanding of history can't be gained. But at what point do you stop unearthing truth and start reaching so much that you're distorting the other way?

There are 3 sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it

BTT, in honest answer to your question, because the victors get to write the history books. And it's rare to see instances where whitey (to borrow a term) didn't eventually get over.

Now, that's not to say that through study and scholarship a greater understanding of history can't be gained. But at what point do you stop unearthing truth and start reaching so much that you're distorting the other way?

There are 3 sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
    Run you make a good point there, but it took someone to challenge the distortions made in the 1st place and what happens after that ....well

For many yrs there has only been one so called "truth" and that has been a damaging lie to african americans.

Also at what point do you drop history and concentrate your efforts and energies on the future? Many previous enslaved peoples have torrid histories..
    I prefer to be identified with my present actions and accomplishments rather than foibles or series of unfortunate events.

My divorce sucked, and how anybody especially her friends want to remember it's history that is fine with me. I have bigger fish to fry.

I am happy that you are prospering BTT, I am sure it was from hard work and initiative. Maybe your history propelled you to greatness.

Run4it hit it on the head to the victors the spoils,, they write the history!

BTT another great book... my personal fave.... The Power of Now!!

Saveus , let me tell you my friend I would have never made it this far without Jesus Christ ! Too many odds were stacked against me. Growing up in WNY and Philadelphia was overwhelming

Jesus allowed me by reading his word to take on his greatness relationship as my spiritual lawyer, an as elder brother and Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by run4it

Ok so since the victors get to write the history books, what will they write when the lies are exposed and how do they deal with those that has been lied upon or cheated out of a better life.

Unregistered

Provide Links when CUTTING & PASTING

Article below is from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

Plagiarism is the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.

Within academia, plagiarism by students, professors, or researchers is considered academic dishonesty or academic fraud and offenders are subject to academic censure. In journalism, plagiarism is considered a breach of journalistic ethics, and reporters caught plagiarizing typically face disciplinary measures ranging from suspension to termination. Some individuals caught plagiarizing in academic or journalistic contexts claim that they plagiarized unintentionally, by failing to include quotations or give the appropriate citation. While plagiarism in scholarship and journalism has a centuries-old history, the development of the Internet, where articles appear as electronic text, has made the physical act of copying the work of others much easier, simply by copying and pasting text from one web page to another.

Plagiarism is not copyright infringement. While both terms may apply to a particular act, they are different transgressions. Copyright infringement is a violation of the rights of a copyright holder, when material protected by copyright is used without consent. On the other hand, plagiarism is concerned with the unearned increment to the plagiarizing author's reputation that is achieved through false claims of authorship.

Actually, I think that the accomplishments of African-Americans since the founding of this country, despite the limitations placed upon them by slavery, Jim Crow, and racism, are far more impressive -- and meaningful -- than what Africans accomplished hundreds or thousands of years ago when the world was very different.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Bringthetruth
    Saveus , let me tell you my friend I would have never made it this far without Jesus Christ ! Too many odds were stacked against me. Growing up in WNY and Philadelphia was overwhelming

Jesus allowed me by reading his word to take on his greatness relationship as my spiritual lawyer, an as elder brother and Lord.
    That’s a great testimony BTT! I am right with you Brother. Jesus rules!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

13. Thread Information