Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are criminals allowed in the airforce

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    I need you at my house for poker night then. You must be a sucky gambler since the guy they hit was Veteran. The military doesn't take people with a criminal records anymore, that practice ended in the 70's.

Yeah. You may want to check again about the whole not taking people with records. They're doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    Yeah. You may want to check again about the whole not taking people with records. They're doing it again.
    My son enlisted 5 months ago.

No the military does not take people with criminal records. Particularly the air force wich gets to pick and choose
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

My son enlisted 5 months ago.

No the military does not take people with criminal records. Particularly the air force wich gets to pick and choose

What the does your sons enlistment have to do with anything? Did that some how qualify you an expert on who the military takes?

A simple google search will help you out.

The military in its report divides moral waivers into six categories: felonies, serious and minor non-traffic offenses, serious and minor traffic offenses and drug offenses. Because many states have different crimes categorized as a felony or misdemeanor, the groupings are more general.

About one in five Army recruits needed a waiver to enlist in 2006, up from 12.7 percent in 2003. In addition, the report showed that the Army granted substantially fewer waivers for drug use and serious traffic violations last year than in 2003.

More than half of the Marine recruits needed a waiver in 2006, a bit higher than in 2003, and largely due to their more strict drug requirements. Felony waivers made up about 2 percent of the Marine waivers, while other lesser crimes made up about 25 percent, both up slightly from 2003.

About 18 percent of Navy recruits required a waiver, up only slightly from 2003. Two-thirds of the waivers granted by the Navy were for misdemeanor-type crimes and about 5 percent were for felonies.

Just 8 percent of Air Force recruits had waivers, down a bit from 2003. Nearly all of the waivers were for the misdemeanor-type crimes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2474041.shtml

I could care less if he did or didn't have a record. It wouldn't make him any more deserving of what happened (I know that isn't your argument).
    I was simply pointing out to Steven that he was mistaken about the military not taking people with records.
    I know they did it in the 90's on a limited basis, and I know they made the restrictions much less cumbersome when Iraq and Afghanistan kicked off.
    Exactly, I posted it to show Steven that he does have a record. He also served in the military. Which came first who knows, but there are definitely a ton of people in the military with records.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Can you explain the relevance to the fact that the cops busted into his apartment?
    None, it was in response to Stevens comment that military personnel cant have records. Keep up with the posts, maybe you will understand more.

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    The way I read it is he owed $60 in court costs, which he failed to pay. That is why he had a lien put on him by the courts. Im pretty sure not paying your taxes is a crime. A civil offense is a crime last I checked....

There are a lot of criminals in the military. I remember seeing articles and tv shows talk about it when the Iraq and Afghan Wars began.
    Again *sigh* regardless of what you have heard on TV talk shows the military does not REPEAT does not take criminals.

The airforce and Navy in particular get to pick and choose who they take. They dont even take kids without a highschool diploma anymore. There are isolated instances where they will take someone that had a juevinal record if the person in question can get there juvy record exponged or sealed. That is all. Its real simple pick up your phone call the local airforce recruiter and ask him. You can keep saying it, that doesnt make it true.

I paid my taxes late in 2003, I am listed on the county website. I have no criminal record. A civil action like collecting on a lien does not give you a criminal record. For that matter a search of my name turns up two other people with the same name as me. That doesnt mean it was me. My ex failed to pay child support and the court put a lien on her. That doesnt give her a criminal record. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

None of this has anything to do with the subject. It doesnt matter if they have 6 kids or 600. Doesnt matter if the husband was a god fearing man that went to church every day or a bum. Doesnt matter if they are gay or straight. Doesnt matter if he had epilepsy Aids or the flu. All the above is immaterial. This being America.

His home was invaded, his kids where traumitized, and he was attacked for no reason. The familys history has nothing to do with anything and constantly trying to shed light on a family you know nothing about is pointless and silly. You have no clue if thats even the same person on the county website and even if it is so what? Do you think if they dont fit your ideal of what a "good" family is they deserve to be treated poorly by the police?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr.../na-recruits22

Don't ever let facts trump what a recruiter tells you...

Are criminals allowed in the airforce

Are criminals allowed in the airforce?

What the does your sons enlistment have to do with anything? Did that some how qualify you an expert on who the military takes?
    It qualifys me because I talked to the recruiter and I am a veteran.

What qualifys you?

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/22/nation/na-recruits22

Don't ever let facts trump what a recruiter tells you...

Thats an article about the army and marines. This guy was in the airforce

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9800E6DF1F31F935A25752C0A96F9582 60

Then there's that...
    This?
    Navy Lowers Education Standard.

What in gods name does that have to do with calling someone in the airforce a criminal?

Just 8 percent of Air Force recruits had waivers, down a bit from 2003. Nearly all of the waivers were for the misdemeanor-type crimes.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2474041.shtml
    This is a ton of people?

Its this simple.
    Call your local airforce recruiter
    Last edited by steven; August 19th, 2008 at 12:23 PM.

What qualifies me? You mean besides the fact I actually looked the information up and posted the links that prove you were talking out of your ass? Nothing, other than the fact I paid attention.

Being a vet, you should know that recruiters are full of crap.

But I digress. You are now lamely attempting to move the goal posts. You said the military (not that I'll hang you on the semantics, because I don't need to) numerous times, and now have tried to change it solely to air force. Regardless, the Air Force also accepts people without High School diplomas and also accepts people with criminal histories.

The second link was in regards to your "They don't take anyone without a High School Diploma" remark. You couldn't figure that out on your own?

Perhaps if you read the info I posted you could quit repeating incorrect information. The articles clearly state that the military (to include the Air Force) does take people with criminal records and that they do take certain percentages of recruits without High School diplomas.

Again, don't take my word, the links I provided you, or google's word on it. Just stick with what the recruiter told you.

This is a ton of people?

Its this simple.
    Call your local airforce recruiter

I didn't say it was a ton of people.
    Why would I call a local recruiter when the information you just quoted states your source in the recruiters office is clearly wrong. It literally says 8%. What don't you get?

Again *sigh* regardless of what you have heard on TV talk shows the military does not REPEAT does not take criminals.

Really? See article #1 below. The Military DOES and I repeat DOES accept ex-convicts. Maybe you need to pick up the phone and call a recruiter.

The airforce and Navy in particular get to pick and choose who they take. They dont even take kids without a highschool diploma anymore. Really? see article #2 below.There are isolated instances where they will take someone that had a juevinal record if the person in question can get there juvy record exponged or sealed. That is all. Its real simple pick up your phone call the local airforce recruiter and ask him. You can keep saying it, that doesnt make it true.

Ok, so before it was the military in general, and now you are limiting it to the AirForce and Navy? You are changing your story.

I paid my taxes late in 2003, I am listed on the county website. I have no criminal record. A civil action like collecting on a lien does not give you a criminal record. For that matter a search of my name turns up two other people with the same name as me. That doesnt mean it was me. My ex failed to pay child support and the court put a lien on her. That doesnt give her a criminal record. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Fine. I will concede it may not be tied to a criminal record, but it may. Besides, it shows a persons moral character if they have a lien placed on them. One would think ex-military would be all about having their finances in order.

None of this has anything to do with the subject. It doesnt matter if they have 6 kids or 600. Doesnt matter if the husband was a god fearing man that went to church every day or a bum. Doesnt matter if they are gay or straight. Doesnt matter if he had epilepsy Aids or the flu. All the above is immaterial. This being America.

Never said it had anything to do with the subject. I said what the police did was wrong, but I also questioned the safety of someone with epilepsy being in charge of 6 kids. I have witnessed first-hand what can happen to someone with epilepsy.

His home was invaded, his kids where traumitized, and he was attacked for no reason. The familys history has nothing to do with anything and constantly trying to shed light on a family you know nothing about is pointless and silly. You have no clue if thats even the same person on the county website and even if it is so what? Do you think if they dont fit your ideal of what a "good" family is they deserve to be treated poorly by the police?
    Never said they should be treated poorly. I just find it interesting when you look up background information on people who are suing municipalities. You have to remember him being attacked is all hearsay. They interviewed the one person in the family who wasnt home. How can we believe anything in that article? Why didnt the News interview the father or the kids? They saw it, she didnt.

Article 1

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07047/762556-192.stm

Criminal force: The military is admitting more ex-convicts
    Friday, February 16, 2007
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Department of Defense records show that the Army and Marines have granted 65 percent more waivers in the last three years to recruits with prior criminal records.

The convictions that bar enlistments fall into two categories: "serious misdemeanors" (which include aggravated assault, burglary, robbery and vehicular homicide) and felonies. Any recruit who has committed one of these crimes requires a "moral waiver" to be allowed into the service.

Last year the Army enlisted more than 69,000 men and women, 11.7 percent of whom had criminal histories. The Pentagon said the military approved about 30,000 moral waivers each year since 2003.

The first conclusion that can be drawn is that the Army is scraping the bottom of the barrel to keep recruitment figures up in spite of the vicissitudes -- casualties, arbitrary extensions and repetitions of tours -- of the Iraq war. Other efforts employed to keep the ranks filled have included extra cash incentives, lowering the bar on aptitude tests and educational standards, and relaxations of weight and age requirements.

A likely result of the recruitment of larger numbers of former criminals is that the number of cases of misconduct among troops -- such as that at the Abu Ghraib prison and at the scene of other atrocities -- may increase. The crimes that the recruits committed before enlistment indicated a lack of respect for society's rules. Although they may have learned from their mistakes and their time in prison, it is also possible that the lack of respect for rules will carry over into their new military lives, which are governed by even stricter standards.

Service in the armed forces has in many societies been considered a means of rehabilitating ex-criminals or a means of putting direction and discipline into young lives that have lacked those qualities. Public concern over the presence of former criminals in the military ranks should not amount to a blanket denial to those who have reformed their lives after prison and deserve a chance to serve in the armed forces on the road to rehabilitation and training as honest members of American society.

At the same time, these particular soldiers will require close supervision by their officers. In the case of recruits who have a past that includes violent crime, careful attention also will need to be paid to see that they don't simply take military service as an opportunity to improve their weapons handling, marksmanship and other potentially criminal skills to be used after their demobilization.

As far as the services and the Bush administration drawing from that particular stratum of society to keep the ranks filled, it is an approach that saves them from reinstituting the draft. The Bush administration knows full well that if it restarts the draft, that will spell the end to its war in Iraq.

A volunteer army -- even one including ex-convicts -- will fight, and so the population is likely to go along. The Vietnam experience showed clearly that an unpopular war waged by draftees will come to a bitter, messy end quickly.

Article 2

http://www.navy.com/about/before/enl...#nonhighschool

You are considered a non-high school graduate candidate if you are neither a high school graduate nor an alternative credential holder (high school equivalency). It is extremely rare to be accepted into the Navy if you have not met the high school graduate or high school equivalency requirements. To be admitted as a non-high school graduate, you must score markedly higher on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) than high school graduates and is subject to strict numerical controls.

I didn't say it was a ton of people.
    Why would I call a local recruiter when the information you just quoted states your source in the recruiters office is clearly wrong. It literally says 8%. What don't you get?
    I consider 8% a ton of people. That is 1 in every 12 people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information