Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Akron teachers get 16.2% raise over four years

Akron teachers get 16.2% raise over four years

Happy reading CGood. I knew this article would make you feel warm and fuzzy!

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/380590.html

Akron teachers get 16.2% raise over four years

By Laura E. Winchester SUBURBAN CORRESPONDENT
    Updated: 06/28/08 7:01 AM

The Akron Faculty Association has a new contract that calls for 16.2 percent in salary increases over four years.

The union, which has about 150 members, recently ratified the package, which is retroactive to July 1, 2007, and ends on June 30, 2011.

It calls for pay increases of 3.7 percent retroactive to July 1, 2007; 4 percent for the 2008-09 school year; 4.1 percent in 2009-10; and 4.4 in 2010-11.

School Superintendent Robin Zymroz said, “I felt that the negotiation process gave us shared satisfaction in reaching the new contract. Union President Edward Haley, a high school guidance counselor, was unavailable to comment Friday.

The union recently ratified the contract by a vote of 100-1. The Board of Education approved the package in a special meeting earlier this month.

Zymroz blamed last year’s change in the superintendency on the delay in hammering out the contract. Zymroz, whose last job was assistant superintendent of the Iroquois School District, was hired last July.

She said the district will not know the full costs of the contract until the open enrollment in the health insurance plan ends next week.

A key change in the contract calls for union members to pay 15 percent — up from 9 percent — of the premium for traditional coverage from the district’s lone health-care provider, Blue- Cross BlueShield. That change is expected to yield savings for the district.

Beginning with this coming school year, the district will match employee annual contributions to medical reimbursement accounts up to $150, an increase from the current $115.

The contract also calls for the union and district to research plans offered by other health insurers, with the stipulation that there would be no increase in the percentage of premium contributions or reduction in benefits.

Other facets of the contract:

• Beginning with the coming school year, the district will match up to $200 of each union member’s annual contribution to the pension fund.

• The maximum number of sick days over the life of a union member’s employment was increased to 270, from 250.

• Retirement incentives are set at $10,000 for each retiring employee if two to seven retirements are submitted; $15,000 if there are eight or more.

• School nurses, also part of the union, with a different salary schedule, will receive the same percentage of raises.
    A couple points to mention:

The union recently ratified the contract by a vote of 100-1. The Board of Education approved the package in a special meeting earlier this month.
    When the contract is ratified by a vote of 100-1 the School Board should be brought up on charges for negligence! You didn't negotiate in good-faith on behalf of the taxpayers!

School Superintendent Robin Zymroz said, “I felt that the negotiation process gave us shared satisfaction in reaching the new contract.
    Were you trying to receive a "shared satisfaction"? What the heck is a shared satisfaction. Not one part of the entire article mentions the satisfaction of taxpayers. This idiot is so out of touch with reality it's scary!

She said the district will not know the full costs of the contract until the open enrollment in the health insurance plan ends next week.
    This idiot feels she received a "shared satisfaction" in the negotiating process but doesn't even know the full costs to taxpayers???? (P.S. isn't this the same idiot that hired the bozo from the BMHA to be the next Facilities Manager of Akron Schools that was just caught for extortion? Yeah, your expertize on management decisions are down-right pitiful!!!

Other facets of the contract:

• Beginning with the coming school year, the district will match up to $200 of each union member’s annual contribution to the pension fund.

• The maximum number of sick days over the life of a union member’s employment was increased to 270, from 250.

• Retirement incentives are set at $10,000 for each retiring employee if two to seven retirements are submitted; $15,000 if there are eight or more.

• School nurses, also part of the union, with a different salary schedule, will receive the same percentage of raises.
    Wow, you drive a hard bargain, you idiot!!!!!!! No wonder it was ratified 100-1!!!

Unregistered
    That means the taxpayers get a raise too.

A tax raise, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    When the contract is ratified by a vote of 100-1 the School Board should be brought up on charges for negligence! You didn't negotiate in good-faith on behalf of the taxpayers!
    Still more proof that public schools SUCK. Good money after bad.

This is absolutely idiotic. A contracted raise of 4.05% on average for 4 years? No, wait a minute. That's a 4.05% annual raise for working a year that's only 77% of a real job. So that's not 4.05%. It's actually 5.25% if they worked a full year, which is what they always seem to want to say it is when the numbers work against them.

These raises aren't given by merit, are they? Of course not. They're retention increases. And the minute you mention competency tests, the NYSUT throws up an 'it's all about the kids' smokescreen.

Is Linda_D still on this board? I'd love to hear why this was a win-win for the residents of Akron.

100-1 for. Real shocker there, isn't it?

Public employee unions,these A holes deserve nothing.I can hardly wait untill the wheels fall of their wagons.

It appears that the union did a good job for their members. They didn't get everything they wanted. They probably went into negotiations asking for a 6% raise and ONLY got 5.25%, but keep in mind they are willing to talk more about the health insurance.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley
    It appears that the union did a good job for their members. They didn't get everything they wanted. They probably went into negotiations asking for a 6% raise and ONLY got 5.25%, but keep in mind they are willing to talk more about the health insurance.
    And the private sector stiff takes it in the ass again right Smiley.School board members are as left as you are.I hate anybody who serves on a school board and wish them nothing but bad luck. They have given me enough over the years. The last one out of this God forsaken State turn out the light.

cgood
    I'm sure you do all you can to do a good job and sell your employer's product earning the pay you recieve, right? Well the unions are no different then what you or anyone else does for the people that pay for their services or products. The unions negotiate the best contract they can for the people that pay them to do so. Now... who are the bad guys? the unions, who ask for something and make a case for their request, or in this case, the elected officials that have the ability to say yes or no or to say that they won't pay as much as the union is asking for?

One thing I do agree with you is that the taxpayer, whether they are private or public sector employees, pay the freight. When will it end? I don't think it will anytime soon, but Public sector and private sector have been creating a two tier pay and benefit package. New employees do not recieve what the seasoned employees get. Might not be tomorrow, but things will be reduced eventually.

So, like anyone else, you have a choice to make. Stay and vote for people that you think will make a difference or move, leave the area for somewhere you believe the taxes are less. Just watch out for other hidden costs there that we don't have.

cgood
    I'm sure you do all you can to do a good job and sell your employer's product earning the pay you recieve, right? Well the unions are no different then what you or anyone else does for the people that pay for their services or products. The unions negotiate the best contract they can for the people that pay them to do so. Now... who are the bad guys? the unions, who ask for something and make a case for their request, or in this case, the elected officials that have the ability to say yes or no or to say that they won't pay as much as the union is asking for?
    Apologist rubbish. And it's acceptable because you can always leave WNY. Thanks pal. Your thinking will solve all of our problems.

I guess it's not hard to understand why NY state is such a ****ing disaster.

How many people in WNY that "do a good job and sell your employer's product earning the pay you recieve" work for a non-government union? Here's a hint. It's not many, and the numbers are decreasing. Why do you suppose that is?

1. The school union, like I already mentioned, buys off the same politicians that are responsible for administering the schools. Nice of you to skate over this minor conflict of interest.

2. The 'best contract' is not a contract with the "people that pay them to do so". It's with a board of education (and in some cases, the members are teachers in other districts) that doctors and diddles the numbers into a silly little card that supposedly shows the increase in taxes and usually gets mailed a whopping 2 weeks before the election/budget vote. Then they bring out the kids, the whiny science teachers, and the band to play at the budget vote. Yawn. And if it gets voted down, they hold another vote, also at taxpayer's expense.

Here's an idea. Why don't we have the next year's budget vote the day after the new tax bill gets mailed out? Why do you suppose the April 15th is almost six months away from election day? Do you think people pissed about taxes might vote differently?

3. This increase is never under 2-3% of the COL increase. In fact, as of late, it's usually 2-3% in excess of the COL.

4. The so-called 'contingency' is now rarely less than 1% less than the 'regular' budget. Some choice- do you want your taxes to increase 8% annually or 7.5% annually? BTW, if you don't like it, either uproot your entire life or lose your property. Oh. Did we forget the re-assessment? They can increase their tax base on both sides of the equation at once. In case you forgot.

This isn't negotiation in any sense of the word. Can you give an example in the private sector, where the paying party in a contract is hindered by a self-interested body politic that has the power of property seizure to enforce their decisions on your contract? Any business that's constrained that way will become exactly what public schools have become.

A failure.

It's the system's fault that they appear to be bad guys. They're not buying off democrats interested in expanding their voter-base. They're simply doing what's right for the children. Is there anything I missed here?
    Last edited by The Stig; July 2nd, 2008 at 09:16 PM.

Again the question is...who are the bad guys? You seemed to skate over the main part of the post! Don't you think that any elected official will think about how the voters will react and/or remember how they voted on a contract? Of course they do. How many voters are actually union workers as compared to non union workers voting? Or are you one of the residents that don't vote in a school election or for the budget?

Again the question is...who are the bad guys? You seemed to skate over the main part of the post! Don't you think that any elected official will think about how the voters will react and/or remember how they voted on a contract? Of course they do. How many voters are actually union workers as compared to non union workers voting? Or are you one of the residents that don't vote in a school election or for the budget?
    I vote friggin no every friggin year,if the nazi party looses we have a revote.
    Like I said you have to turn out more then the employee vote and we all know that cant happen.Smiley again your kind stole my country and I am a little pissed off about that. Hey read the paper this morning,companies cutting payrolls,who is going to keep paying these clowns.Oh that right if the taxes get to high sell your house and move.Oh and tell the people on fixed income cat food tastes like tuna. Its coming Smiley and it aint going to be pretty. Oh school boards tar and feathers look like a big feather boa.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    I vote friggin no every friggin year,if the nazi party looses we have a revote.
    Like I said you have to turn out more then the employee vote and we all know that cant happen.Smiley again your kind stole my country and I am a little pissed off about that. Hey read the paper this morning,companies cutting payrolls,who is going to keep paying these clowns.Oh that right if the taxes get to high sell your house and move.Oh and tell the people on fixed income cat food tastes like tuna. Its coming Smiley and it aint going to be pretty. Oh school boards tar and feathers look like a big feather boa.
    Cnotsogood,
    You say you vote, but your creditability is non-exisistant, so It sounds good here, but highly unlikely. You obviously haven't voted at a school issue. If you have, then you would know just who and how many vote. Just because my opinions are different then yours, I stole your Country? Yeah right! But keep the humor coming!! You always mention Nazi's. You must be a Nazi wantabe! I wish you luck with your ambition in that regards.

Cnotsogood,
    You say you vote, but your creditability is non-exisistant, so It sounds good here, but highly unlikely. You obviously haven't voted at a school issue. If you have, then you would know just who and how many vote. Just because my opinions are different then yours, I stole your Country? Yeah right! But keep the humor coming!! You always mention Nazi's. You must be a Nazi wantabe! I wish you luck with your ambition in that regards.
    well well the child Idiot speaks.Let me tell you bucko,I Vote every year . I go up to the little table and say I am here for my yearly screwing.I then proceed to vote no.So smiley go Screw yourself.When it come to credibility you have non you left wing old bat. Like I said, "what you going to do when the mob comes for you." The turn out iis small that is whay I say you have to beat the employee block. I sit in m y chair and watch the results come in all Pass whats up with that. Hey how It goin over at UB? You just lile that public sector stuff dont ya half pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    well well the child Idiot speaks.Let me tell you bucko,I Vote every year . I go up to the little table and say I am here for my yearly screwing.I then proceed to vote no.So smiley go Screw yourself.When it come to credibility you have non you left wing old bat. Like I said, "what you going to do when the mob comes for you." The turn out iis small that is whay I say you have to beat the employee block. I sit in m y chair and watch the results come in all Pass whats up with that. Hey how It goin over at UB? You just lile that public sector stuff dont ya half pint.
    Cnotsogood,
    Child idiot? Please don't be so hard on yourself about your speaking! You vote? Yeah right UB? You must have me confused with someone else. I work in the private sector. It must be your Nazi wannabe mindset that satisfies your craving for the need to try to make your point by the childish name calling, but hey....if it works for you, I'm happy for you. Now please go and carry your wares with you.

Again the question is...who are the bad guys? You seemed to skate over the main part of the post! Don't you think that any elected official will think about how the voters will react and/or remember how they voted on a contract? Of course they do.
    Uh, no, I didn't miss your 'main part'. I answered your question, the problem is you didn't want to hear that the rest of the world is getting kinda tired of grabbing ankle for a half-assed education we're strongarmed into paying. And, BTW, you skated over the part about your so-called 'negotiations' with their employers too. Just so ya know.

If you really think "any elected official will think about how the voters will react and/or remember how they voted on a contract" actually happens, well, I suppose you really do deserve the steaming pile of **** that passes for NY State's government. Because they're giving you exactly what you want. And if you don't like it, you can either leave or (hah!) choose who you elect more carefully. So much for a say in how things are done around here.

But like you said, we can leave. Just like all the kids we waste money educating, so they can move away and pay school taxes somewhere else.

Or are you one of the residents that don't vote in a school election or for the budget?
    Is this all you can come up with? An utterly unfounded conclusion about somebody you know knowing about?

Try a different approach- post something of substance instead.

I'll put this up here too, while you're not answering anything:

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig
    This isn't negotiation in any sense of the word. Can you give an example in the private sector, where the paying party in a contract is hindered by a self-interested body politic that has the power of property seizure to enforce their decisions on your contract? Any business that's constrained that way will become exactly what public schools have become.

A failure.
    I'm still waiting on an answer. Since you're in the private sector, I'm sure you can find one.
    Last edited by The Stig; July 3rd, 2008 at 08:16 PM.

Rewarded for Negligence, only in the school system!

Akron school superintendent gets $8,000 raise, contract extension

Published on July 3, 2008

Author: Laura E. Winchester - SUBURBAN CORRESPONDENT
    © The Buffalo News Inc.

Akron School Superintendent Robin Zymroz -- at the end of her first year with the district -- received an $8,000 pay increase and had her contract extended to June 30, 2013, during a special meeting of the Board of Education Wednesday.

Thomas Weeks, new board president, said extending the original three-year contract indicated the confidence the seven-member board has in Zymroz, who was hired by the district last year at a salary of $135,000. She had been assistant superintendent in the Iroquois School District before joining Akron. "She recently underwent an intensive job evaluation by the entire board," said Weeks, "and we're very pleased with her."

Zymroz's pay for the 2008-09 school year will be $143,000. Weeks said the terms of her amended contract call for a minimum five percent raise annually. The board will act each year on any salary increase. The other change to the contract gives Zymroz another five vacation days a year bringing the total to 25.

The board vote was 6-0. Board member Thomas Morgan was absent.

Board member Thomas Hegmann was elected vice president during the board's reorganization meeting. And new board members, Francis Dahill and Kevin Stone, were sworn in. They replace Marybeth Whiting and Michael Lowry, who did not seek re-election in the May school election.

Included on the 21-item routine reorganizational agenda was an increase in the pay for substitute bus drivers from $11 an hour to $14.50 to bring the district into line with other county school districts. And an increase in the mileage reimbursement rate for school-related driving to 58.5 cents per mile. That is the amount recently adjusted by the IRS for business-related travel, reflecting rising gasoline costs.

The board also approved an unpaid leave of absence for its new buildings and grounds superintendent from July 2 to 13. William F. Bosinski II, head groundsman for the Orchard Park School District, was to start work in Akron last Tuesday. Zymroz said the unpaid leave allows Bosinski "to fulfill Civil Service requirements" relating to his Orchard Park position.

She said Bosinski spent Tuesday touring the Akron school campus with his predecessor, Michael Kropelin, who has retired.
    $8,000 Raise....

5% Raises MINIMUM annually.......

5 Weeks Vacation......

And the public sector people complain about "Cost of Living"???? They are the REASON the Cost of Living keeps increasing!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information