Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senate unanimously ratifies landmark Great Lakes Compact

Senate unanimously ratifies landmark Great Lakes Compact

WASHINGTON — The Senate on Friday voted by unanimous consent to ratify the Great Lakes Compact, meaning the landmark agreement to protect the lakes’ fresh water has cleared its highest hurdle.

The deal between the eight Great Lakes states bans the diversion of lake water to parched states in other parts of the country and to other nations, although it includes an exception for bottled water.

The approval came only nine days after Great Lakes senators, including Sens. Charles E. Schumer and Hillary Rodham Clinton, both D-N. Y., introduced the bill ratifying the deal.

The quick action is surprising, given the Senate’s reputation for moving slowly and its tradition of allowing any one senator to place any legislation on hold at any time.

http://www.buffalonews.com/180/story/405281.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    WASHINGTON — The Senate on Friday voted by unanimous consent to ratify the Great Lakes Compact, meaning the landmark agreement to protect the lakes’ fresh water has cleared its highest hurdle.

The deal between the eight Great Lakes states bans the diversion of lake water to parched states in other parts of the country and to other nations, although it includes an exception for bottled water.

The approval came only nine days after Great Lakes senators, including Sens. Charles E. Schumer and Hillary Rodham Clinton, both D-N. Y., introduced the bill ratifying the deal.

The quick action is surprising, given the Senate’s reputation for moving slowly and its tradition of allowing any one senator to place any legislation on hold at any time.

http://www.buffalonews.com/180/story/405281.html
    I cant belive they finally got something right.

Great! Now American Water who owns my water utility and also water utilities in the driest parts of the country...(check out this map) are going to drill deeper and burden *ME* with their exploration and procurement costs. God Bless the private sector. Instead of forcing those residents to own up to the fact that you shouldn't have swimming pools and golf courses in freakin' southern AZ, no, just come up to the NE and we'll help subsidize your developments...

Not that I'm against the compact, but it won't work to protect the resource (most likely). AND, we get boned on the financial end too...

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie
    Great! Now American Water who owns my water utility and also water utilities in the driest parts of the country...(check out this map) are going to drill deeper and burden *ME* with their exploration and procurement costs. God Bless the private sector. Instead of forcing those residents to own up to the fact that you shouldn't have swimming pools and golf courses in freakin' southern AZ, no, just come up to the NE and we'll help subsidize your developments...

Not that I'm against the compact, but it won't work to protect the resource (most likely). AND, we get boned on the financial end too...

As long as that water stays where I can see it I am one happy guy. I love the private sector,I am not to crazy about the team you play for.

This water is being diverted, no? So how many bottled water plants will go up before anything is done about this B.S.? This compact is smoke and mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by DR_GONZO
    This water is being diverted, no? So how many bottled water plants will go up before anything is done about this B.S.? This compact is smoke and mirrors.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47886945&hl=en
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Thats funny It really is.

Who needs Vitamin Water when there's Swill Mineral Water! Dredge is way better for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by DR_GONZO
    No, it's not. Bottled water plants are miniscule in demand compared to the wholesale diversion of water for other parts of the country. Moreover, bottled water plants would provide some economic benefit to the area in terms of jobs and taxes as opposed to diversion which would exploit a local resource for the economic benefit of another region.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    Moreover, bottled water plants would provide some economic benefit to the area in terms of jobs and taxes as opposed to diversion which would exploit a local resource for the economic benefit of another region.
    Does it go to a regional economic group? or will we now pit Great Lakes Cities against each other to lure in businesses?

What about the disposal concerns?
    Waste is No. 1 concern
    When it comes to bottled water, waste is a primary concern of city leaders and environmentalists. Industry statistics show it takes about 1.5 million gallons of oil to make a year's supply of the bottles.
    Michigan residents recycle more than 97 percent of cans and bottles that have a deposit -- the highest rate in the nation. But about 14 percent of the plastic bottled water containers find their way to recycling centers, according to Food & Water Watch, an environmental nonprofit group in Washington, D.C.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...389/1409/METRO
    I haven't read the compact (availability?) and don't know the appropriateness nor the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    Does it go to a regional economic group? or will we now pit Great Lakes Cities against each other to lure in businesses?

What about the disposal concerns?

I haven't read the compact (availability?) and don't know the appropriateness nor the consequences.
    I am not concerened,I just care about the lakes and MY fresh Water.You want to know the problem,Bottled water is stupid. Its trendy kind of like cell phones.George Carlin Said it best get a drink of water before you leave home.
    All we have to do is nix bottled water. I carry a flask with me and it aint filled with water.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    All we have to do is nix bottled water. I carry a flask with me and it aint filled with water.
    Welcome back! I'm with ya! Bottled water is a joke....

Pepsi's Aquafina and Coca-Cola's Dasani use city of Detroit water sold in southeast Michigan communities. The companies use extra filtering procedures but the water source is the same -- the Detroit River.
    .. I mean yuck!

BTW, what's in the flask, oh nevermind, I know it probably is somewhere around 100 proof.

The compact protects the water source of the Great Lakes from diversion. It's not a comprehensive environmental protection bill.

BTW, I believe the compact still needs to be passed by the HoR and then signed by the POTUS.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Welcome back! I'm with ya! Bottled water is a joke....

.. I mean yuck!

BTW, what's in the flask, oh nevermind, I know it probably is somewhere around 100 proof.

Actually its 80 proof Granddad.

As far as the pact in the US, the HR and Pres need to approve it. Also, Quebec Province hasn't signed yet, although Ontario has.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information