Thread: Lawnmower question

Lawnmower question

I ran my mower out of gas, so I could change tip it to change the oil. I changed the oil; filled it with gas. Now, it won't stay running. I put a new air filter and plug in 3 weeks ago. The mower was running great until I just changed the oil.

I always run it out of gas to change the oil.

Do you think running it until it was out of gas that something got sucked into the carburator?

Any suggestions of what to look at next?

Georgia L Schlager

Dirty carburetor or wet (or spent) spark plug?

(Note - I'm not a motorhead by any means. Those suggestions are nothing more than what I ended the "cuss-fest" caused by my Dad's mower with.)
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

I was out trying to drain the gas out of the tank from the fuel bowl. Had to stop until thunderstorm was over.

Finished draining gas and removed air filter and put the end of the air compressor in the hole where the air filter meets the carburator.

It runs and stays running now but I don't know how I fixed it.

I don't know if it was another fresh tank of gas or the compressor blew out something that was lodged in there.

Georgia L Schlager

One thing to remember is never tip the mower over on the side with the muffler. If you did, the engine oil might have saturated the mufler, plugging it.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    wasn't there a bolt on the underside of the mower to drain the oil? You usually don't tip the engine over to drain it do you?

I have the same problem with my push mower. It was bone dry after spending an unknown amount of time under my mom's house. I have had it looked at several times and its just that there is dirt particles in their that get caught and cause it not to start. I have to push the black button that pushes fuel through (don't know name of it) sevaral times start it then redo it again after it dies. Usually after the 2nd try it stays running. Very frustrating but mower was free and I am sick of spending money to have it looked at.
    Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you can do. Attitude determines how well you can do it. - Lou Holtz

Originally posted by Smiley:
    One thing to remember is never tip the mower over on the side with the muffler. If you did, the engine oil might have saturated the mufler, plugging it.
    The muffler is on the left side and I tip the mower to the right.

Originally posted by WNYresident:
    wasn't there a bolt on the underside of the mower to drain the oil? You usually don't tip the engine over to drain it do you?
    There is no oil drain plug on this Tecumseh engine.

From the manual:

1. Remove the dipstick.

2. Tip the mower on the right side to drain the used oil out through the oil fill tube.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    There probably is one, but its not listed in the owners manual. Usually its called a drain "plug", meaning its not the correct way to drain oil, but works that way just the same.

Try removing the air filter & cover, and hold your hand over the air intake port. If it starts to die on you, then there is a restriction in the carb somewhere. Usually a healthy dose of Gum-Out will clear the offending obstruction, or spray some starting fluid (ether) down the opening to flush it out and give the motor a nice little blast....works every time.

Worst case scenario, dump some raw fuel directly into the air cleaner port and give the rope starter a pull or two. Close eyes prior to tugging on it....

Originally posted by Firelady:
    I have the same problem with my push mower. It was bone dry after spending an unknown amount of time under my mom's house. I have had it looked at several times and its just that there is dirt particles in their that get caught and cause it not to start. I have to push the black button that pushes fuel through (don't know name of it) sevaral times start it then redo it again after it dies. Usually after the 2nd try it stays running. Very frustrating but mower was free and I am sick of spending money to have it looked at.
    The black button probably is a primer. I'm not going to run mine out of gas again before I change the oil the next time. Lawnmowers are like cars- Necessary pains in the arse.

I went to start my car about a month ago and just heard a "pffffft" when I turned the key. I knew it was electrical. Walked to work and when I got home checked all the fuses. All okay. Went through the owner's manual looking for anything that said ignition. Found a black cube with 4 prongs that the manual labeled as ignition relay. There was no way to test if it was good or bad. Took it to a dealer and ordered it. When I got the new relay home and plugged it in, I was amazed when I turned the key and it worked. Saved myself $68 an hour in labor.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja
    The black button probably is a primer.
    Yes, its the primer "bulb". Push it in a few times to send gas into the carb.

Never buy a machine with an internal combustion engine that doesnt have an oil drain plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan
    Never buy a machine with an internal combustion engine that doesnt have an oil drain plug.
    But my 2-stroke chain saw doesnt have one

Thread Information