Thread: Why Do We Have A County Legislature?

Why Do We Have A County Legislature?

Count me among the supporters for downsizing the number of County Legislators we have in Erie County from the current number of 15. In fact I’d go even further and support eliminating the entire body. My understanding is that out of the County’s $1.4 billion budget only about $100 million (roughly 7%) is not mandated by the state or county charter. Our Legislature really only has a say over 7% of the County budget.

Have you ever read the agenda or minutes of a County Legislature meeting? You can see them on-line at www.erie.gov symbolic resolutions which accomplish nothing far outweigh matters of substance. An article in Sunday’s Parade magazine titled "Why Is Congress Doing So Little?" caught my eye and is related to how the County Legislature operates. Apparently the current Congress has enacted less legislation than any within the last decade, according to an analysis by the nonpartisan organization Taxpayers for Common Sense. The current Congress has passed just 260 laws and 74 of those were renaming post offices! What Congress has passed however are hundreds of resolutions to congratulate various people and organizations and to recognize important events such as June 30th as National Corvette Day. In a moment of honesty, Rep. John Shimkus (R., Ill) the sponsor of the National Corvette Day resolution stated "It’s probably not the best use of our time, but we have to do something. These resolutions make it look like we’re working."

Our County Legislature having very little say over much of significance spends a great deal of time on symbolic resolutions. In my review of the Legislature meetings held so far in 2008, 5 local laws have been introduced (I’m not sure how many have actually been passed) and 236 resolutions have been passed.

The Queen of symbolic resolutions by far is Michelle Iannello, who has introduced 83 resolutions, followed by Lynn Marinelli at 43 and Robert Reynolds at 20. Iannello at the April 24, 2008 meeting introduced 23 resolutions and another 20 at the June 12, 2008 meeting. The Legislator's with the fewest resolutions were Loughran with 2, Grant with 4, Rath, Wroblewski, Konst and Razenhoffer all with 5 each. I know from my days as Chief of Staff of the Buffalo Common Council, how time consuming it is for staff members to research, write, file and copy resolutions. Fortunately almost all of the resolutions filed by Buffalo Councilmembers are issue focused and in no way rise to the number of symbolic resolutions done at the County Legislature. I completely agree with the statement made by Congressmen Shimkus that resolutions make it look like Legislators are working.

For the first half in 2007, Iannello sponsored 27 resolutions, but this year has upped her game to 83 resolutions. I would bet that running for State Senator has something to do with the increase in symbolic resolutions. You can see the type of resolutions I am talking about by viewing the 23 Iannello did on April 23rd at the end of this post. Nothing against the fine folks being recognized but with the many issues needing attention in Erie County is this really the best use of time for Legislator's and their staff? Iannello has started a web site in which she will highlight 40 ideas in 40 days. I’m all for new ideas and my idea is to eliminate the Erie County Legislature.

Iannello Resolutions introduced on 4/24/08

Recognizing Carol J. Horrigan – Grand Island Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year for Education

Recognizing Mary A. Dunbar-Daluisio – Grand Island Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year

Recognizing Dolly D’Orazio – Grand Island Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year for Community Service

Recognizing Sara Kurpiewski – On Being Named the Rotary/PTSA Student of the month

Recognizing Rick Karpie – On Being Named the Rotary/PTSA Student of the Month

Recognizing Kristin Toellner – On Being Named the Rotary/PTSA Student of the Month

Recognizing Amanda Rundgren – Ken-Ton Family YMCA Employee of the Year

Recognizing Josh Kaplan – On Being Named the Rotary/PTSA Student of the Month

Recognizing Bonnie Parsons – Zonta Rose Day Awards on Women’s Day March 7, 2007

Recognizing Mary Dankovich – Zonta Rose Day Awards on Women’s Day March 7, 2007

Recognizing Mary Hoffman – Zonta Rose Day Awards on Women’s Day March 7, 2007

Recognizing Francis Warthling – 2007 Lackawanna Area Chamber of Commerce Person of the Year

Recognizing The Kenmore East Model United Nations Team

Recognizing Genevieve Wright on Her 100th Birthday Celebrated on April 10, 2008.

Recognizing Vito Ferraro – Celebrating 100th Birthday on April 6th

Recognizing Angeline Scalia on the Occasion of Her 100th Birthday

Recognizing Cannon Design – Grand Island Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year.

Recognizing the Zonta Club of Grand Island – Grand Island Camber of Commerce Organization of the Year

Recognizing Anthony A. Brindisi – Grand Island Chamber of Commerce Business Person of the Year

Honoring Barry Arbogast for Saving the Lives of Brian Mahoney and Charles Faraci

Honoring Cory Arbogast for Saving the Lives of Brian Mahoney and Charles Faraci

Recognizing Beverly Kinney as the 2008 Ort Leadership Award/Woman of the Year.

Honoring the Memory of Wilma Pohl

www.buffaloideas.com

Moved to the county section.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Thread Information