Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Aurora mayor: ice rink up to community

East Aurora mayor: ice rink up to community

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/407554.html

In the end, the East Aurora community will decide the fate of the controversial $9 million twin-sheet ice rink proposed for Riley Street in the village. ...
    Mayor Clark W. Crook emphasized that it will be the public that decides whether the project becomes reality or not — particularly given the significant amount of financial backing it will require.

“Quite frankly, unless this rink has wild community support, it will not get built, regardless of this board’s [decision].”

Trustee Kevin Biggs advocated for an outdoor ice rink with a metal roof and walls designed with a Roycroft-flair. Some neighbors indicated that might go over better with the community.
    It sounds as though East Aurora is having serious second thoughts, and I bet $50 that it will not get built. Any thoughts that it might be in part because of West Seneca's experience with an ice rink. Also, how about the 9 million dollar cost for the twin rink. The numbers keep getting bigger and bigger.

and this is in West Seneca Politics for what reason?

I'll bite anyways.

Yes. I'm sure East Aurora residents and government employees can't get enough Prozac to treat their West Seneca Ice rink induced paranoia and depression.

Another brilliant suggestion by another inept board member.

"Trustee Kevin Biggs advocated for an outdoor ice rink with a metal roof"

Sure, let's build a rink that will be able to remain open from January 1st to Februay 15th. Ummmmm, visit a hockey rink sometime people - you might notice that its cold in there all year. Ice pads are enclosed for a real good reason - it has to be cold ALL THE TIME to freeze water at the lowest possible cost.

Maybe as WNYFuture suggested, the East Aurora Travel program can pay for all the costs associated with the rink.

Quote Originally Posted by WSWings98
    and this is in West Seneca Politics for what reason?
    This is my thread, and you know the reason I posted it here. East Aurora wants out of hockey before getting into it. Does that send a message?

Yes. I'm sure East Aurora residents and government employees can't get enough Prozac to treat their West Seneca Ice rink induced paranoia and depression.
    They are mentally disabled because they are not anxious to plunge into ice rink ownership? Maybe they are just acting properly.

Supporters of the controversial $8 million to $10 million twin-sheet ice rink proposal by the nonprofit Aurora Ice Association cleared a hurdle with village leaders Monday night,...
    “The project’s next step is raising the money to get this [permanent] rink built,” said Carol Halter, project director.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/440415.html

In East Aurora they want build an ice rink. Notice that East Aurora is not building an ice rink, it is a not for profit organization which wants to build an ice rink similar to First Tee, the non for profit organization which constructed the golf course off Southwestern. Obviously, there is no reason that a town government, ie taxpayer money has to be involved.

Let the West Seneca Wings run, or become a non for profit and run the West Seneca Hockey rink. Rent it to them for $1 a year.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel
    http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/440415.html

In East Aurora they want build an ice rink. Notice that East Aurora is not building an ice rink, it is a not for profit organization which wants to build an ice rink similar to First Tee, the non for profit organization which constructed the golf course off Southwestern. Obviously, there is no reason that a town government, ie taxpayer money has to be involved.

Let the West Seneca Wings run, or become a non for profit and run the West Seneca Hockey rink. Rent it to them for $1 a year.
    Let them build it 100% with their own money and have NO GOVERNMENT group at all involved. Why rent anything for $1... let the people who want to play hockey own the rink.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Let them build it 100% with their own money and have NO GOVERNMENT group at all involved. Why rent anything for $1... let the people who want to play hockey own the rink.
    The problem is it is already built, but needs repairs.

I'm fairly well qualified to comment on the East Aurora Rink issue, though I'm not directly affiliated with the Aurora Ice Association. I am however a volunteer who continues to help out as much as I can with the construction of the outdoor rink, and as such, I'm sort of in the know on certain issues.

It's quite important to note that the proposal for a twin rink facility in East Aurora does not call for taxpayer funding. It simply doesn't, and anyone who spins it otherwise is ....well....spinning it to advance their cause.

While I'm no expert on the matter, a cursory check of taxpayer or municipality funded and operated ice rinks around the country reveals reasons why municipalities shouldn't operate these facilities. In fact, many of these entities experienced a positive turnaround in a short time after ownership to private operators occurred.

The vocal group of rink critics in East Aurora has based much of their argument on:
    Lack of demand for ice time
    Noise
    Traffic
    Crime
    No positive impact on local economy
    Loss of quality of life
    Etc.....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    SO not one penny of any town money at all would be use to build a new rink or do you mean repair the old rink?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    SO not one penny of any town money at all would be use to build a new rink or do you mean repair the old rink?
    Two different issues. West Seneca's existing publicly funded old single rink, vs. EA's proposed private twin rink.

Quote Originally Posted by bufxpert View Post
    While I'm no expert on the matter, a cursory check of taxpayer or municipality funded and operated ice rinks around the country reveals reasons why municipalities shouldn't operate these facilities. In fact, many of these entities experienced a positive turnaround in a short time after ownership to private operators occurred.
    What are the reasons?

Now all i need to do is become a better skater.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    What are the reasons?
    There's no reason for everyone in the town to cover the cost of a fully enclose twin ice rink. Leave it in the hands of private businesses.

There's no reason for everyone in the town to cover the cost of a fully enclose twin ice rink. Leave it in the hands of private businesses.
    Says who? Maybe the majority of town residents want an ice rink. Last time I checked, that's how democracy works.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by CSense View Post
    Says who? Maybe the majority of town residents want an ice rink. Last time I checked, that's how democracy works.
    Your talking out of your butt

Randomly go and ring on some doorbells. Tell them would they like to spend "what ever the amount is" so a few can play ice hockey. Have them cut you the check in full seeing you are so sure of it. Don't forget to tell them there are commercial rinks these people can play hockey at.

Your talking out of your butt

Randomly go and ring on some doorbells. Tell them would they like to spend "what ever the amount is" so a few can play ice hockey. Have them cut you the check in full seeing you are so sure of it. Don't forget to tell them there are commercial rinks these people can play hockey at.
    I might be talking out my arse but...

Yes, I haven't gone door to door but neither have you. There are pros and cons to everything. Commercial development is about making $$$ and not necessarily about doing what's good for the community. If the town wants to build an ice rink for kids to have a place to skate around or what not it's up to the electorate.

BTW if it were such a great deal why haven't private companies just started building rinks left and right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information