Thread: Mayor Dyster :YouTube video rattles city officials.

Mayor Dyster :YouTube video rattles city officials.

MAYOR DYSTER: Online shots pop up

By Mark Scheer
    E-mail Mark

Who is the Nightman?

Officials at City Hall aren’t sure, but a message delivered recently by the anonymous YouTube enthusiast has caught their attention.

Someone using the nickname Nightman recently posted a disparaging cartoon video of Mayor Paul Dyster on the Internet site YouTube.

In the video, the cartoon version of Dyster introduces himself as a man in charge of a city that is “predominantly made up of Italians.” The cartoon version of Dyster later uses several ethnic slurs to describe his “hatred” for Italian Americans in the community

“I’m offended that he’s putting that stuff in my mouth,” Dyster said. “You are never going to hear that stuff from me. I don’t think it. I don’t say it. That’s not me. If it’s a joke, it’s not a funny joke.”

At the same time, a mock blog for Niagara Falls Democrats has been created as well. The site, niagarafallsdemocrats.blogspot.com, features several less-than-flattering stories about leaders in the Niagara County Democratic Party, complete with links to YouTube videos of a recent protest outside a party fundraiser in Niagara Falls that convinced state Senate Minority Leader Malcolm Smith to reconsider participating in the event. The phony Falls Democrats site uses a picture of Dyster in the spot usually reserved for the author of such pages and has several references to Dyster throughout.

While he understands as a public official that he can expect a high level of criticism, Dyster said the tone of this video crosses the line and is particularly troubling considering that the city is currently dealing with a sensitive race issue involving the placement of a “whites-only” sign at the Department of Public Works garage.

Dyster said he is more concerned about the impact of such material on the city’s reputation than his own. He said he hasn’t decided how exactly to address the cartoon video, although asking YouTube to remove the questionable material from its site remains an option.

“It gives a false image of the community at a time when we are dealing with these type of situations,” he said. “It is like pouring gasoline on a fire. It degrades the whole community to do that.”

City Council Chairman Sam Fruscione said he has seen the video, but doesn’t believe it is something to get too worked up about. He said he too has been the subject of similar disparaging cartoons over the years, as has former Mayor Vince Anello and state Assemblywoman Francine DelMonte. Fruscione said, generally, he doesn’t put much stock into the depictions because as a public official such things come with the territory.

“You have got to have a thick skin in this business because you are going to take a lot of abuse,” he said

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Bringthetruth
    MAYOR DYSTER: Online shots pop up

By Mark Scheer
    E-mail Mark

Who is the Nightman?

Officials at City Hall aren’t sure, but a message delivered recently by the anonymous YouTube enthusiast has caught their attention.

Someone using the nickname Nightman recently posted a disparaging cartoon video of Mayor Paul Dyster on the Internet site YouTube.

In the video, the cartoon version of Dyster introduces himself as a man in charge of a city that is “predominantly made up of Italians.” The cartoon version of Dyster later uses several ethnic slurs to describe his “hatred” for Italian Americans in the community

“I’m offended that he’s putting that stuff in my mouth,” Dyster said. “You are never going to hear that stuff from me. I don’t think it. I don’t say it. That’s not me. If it’s a joke, it’s not a funny joke.”

At the same time, a mock blog for Niagara Falls Democrats has been created as well. The site, niagarafallsdemocrats.blogspot.com, features several less-than-flattering stories about leaders in the Niagara County Democratic Party, complete with links to YouTube videos of a recent protest outside a party fundraiser in Niagara Falls that convinced state Senate Minority Leader Malcolm Smith to reconsider participating in the event. The phony Falls Democrats site uses a picture of Dyster in the spot usually reserved for the author of such pages and has several references to Dyster throughout.

While he understands as a public official that he can expect a high level of criticism, Dyster said the tone of this video crosses the line and is particularly troubling considering that the city is currently dealing with a sensitive race issue involving the placement of a “whites-only” sign at the Department of Public Works garage.

Dyster said he is more concerned about the impact of such material on the city’s reputation than his own. He said he hasn’t decided how exactly to address the cartoon video, although asking YouTube to remove the questionable material from its site remains an option.

“It gives a false image of the community at a time when we are dealing with these type of situations,” he said. “It is like pouring gasoline on a fire. It degrades the whole community to do that.”

City Council Chairman Sam Fruscione said he has seen the video, but doesn’t believe it is something to get too worked up about. He said he too has been the subject of similar disparaging cartoons over the years, as has former Mayor Vince Anello and state Assemblywoman Francine DelMonte. Fruscione said, generally, he doesn’t put much stock into the depictions because as a public official such things come with the territory.

“You have got to have a thick skin in this business because you are going to take a lot of abuse,” he said
    I think we ALL know who "Nightman" is, as he is a poster here.

You know, I read this in the Gazette yesterday and thought to myself that this is not a story worthy of the front page on a Sunday! What a poor decision by the editor.

It is unfortunate, but it's just how NF is. They love to hate their elected officials - more specifically the Mayor. The cartoon drawings of Elia with Mickey Mouse ears or Anello with a dunce hat, etc. How about the online videos with a copy/past picture of Anello & Rotella's faces singing "Hey Gumbare" - it's all been done before. Is it right? No.

Why would Dyster think he would be different than any previous Mayor?
    Given the nature of NF politics, I would think that Dyster really thought everything through before he decided to run - I mean he is a "really smart guy" right?
    Politics is more difficult than physics
    - Albert Einstein

Unregistered
    "You know, I read this in the Gazette yesterday and thought to myself that this is not a story worthy of the front page on a Sunday! What a poor decision by the editor."

I feel the same way, what a waste of newsprint. However, I don't think very highly of the person who runs that blog.

Thread Information