Thread: What's going on in Niagara Falls ?

What's going on in Niagara Falls ?

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local...241220853.html

After two disappointing years on Main Street, Debbie Kreiger has decided she’s had enough.

The owner of Bada Bean coffee shop at 921 Main St. closed the doors to her business on Wednesday, announcing through a sign placed on the building’s front door that she’s reached her “breaking point with the political corruption, vandalism and backstabbing that is Niagara Falls.”

Reached by telephone Thursday, Kreiger confirmed she’s indeed closed for business in the city and is in the process of looking for a new location. She’s hoping she’ll have better luck finding customers — and a greater level of support from local elected officials — in communities like Wheatfield, Lewiston or Buffalo.

“It is not business friendly here and I do not want to own a business in Niagara Falls anymore,” Kreiger said.

Kreiger, a Niagara Falls native, returned to the city with her husband in hopes of helping to do their part to revive the struggling community. The couple operated their first Bada Bean cafe on Niagara Street for about six months before moving the business to Main Street about two years ago.

Kreiger said city officials were supportive of their efforts early on, but the support waned the longer the shop was up and running. Kreiger said she did apply for available small business grants, but was ultimately denied. She also attempted to secure a loan that she hoped would help her make necessary improvements to her building, but again found that the available programs were not a good fit for her situation.

Kreiger expressed frustration over what she described as an uneven approach to things like economic development and inspections in the city. She suggested that while some struggling business owners are left to fend for themselves, others — with better political and personal connections — receive whatever attention they need, whether they qualify or not.

“There’s no consistency,” she said. “There’s no level playing field for any businesses.”

High taxes and hassles from city inspectors only compounded the problem.

“I really wanted to be on Main Street because I thought Main Street needed something,” she said. “I gave up everything in Florida to come back to this and the high taxes.

“They want people to move back,” she added. “They want businesses but, when you do it, it’s like everybody disappears.”

Mayor Paul Dyster said he was aware of some efforts made by the previous administration to assist Kreiger’s business, but could not speak to any of the details.

He expressed disappointment over the situation and commended Kreiger for doing what she did with her building and for what she accomplished at her business during its years of operation. He said he hopes Kreiger will be able to work something out so she could either re-open or find another venture in the city.

“It’s sad to see a business that everyone had such high hopes in closing,” Dyster said. “Obviously, I wish her well.”

Kreiger said she does intend to continue to live on the upper floor of the building, but is comfortable with her decision to get out of business in Niagara Falls. At this point, she said she didn’t think city officials could convince her to change her mind, even if they did contact her.

“I still have faith in Main Street even if I don’t have faith in the political system in Niagara Falls,” she said.

Didn't someone say(Treeghost) that the MOB in niagara falls is all political now days.

Unregistered
    I feel for Debbie, as her business is in the neighborhood where I grew up.

When will the corruption end in this city, when will good people take this city back from bad politicians and bad cops ?

[QUOTE=When will the corruption end in this city, when will good people take this city back from bad politicians and bad cops ?

Wow! I thought you were a Dyster fan? It's been almost a year and people have finally realized that just because he is "not Italian" doesn't make him a perfect politician!
    Think about it. Is Anello taking money any different than Dyster taking money to subsidize salaries and not telling anyone where/who the money is from? Both are illegal.
    Politics is more difficult than physics
    - Albert Einstein

Thread Information