Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Byron Brown - Remembering the Wrongs

Byron Brown - Remembering the Wrongs

Just so we get this straight, I dislike the ass wipe immensely and will never vote for such an incompetent buffoon. That disclosure being said, I will begin a historical "news" clippings of all the stupidity and insight provided by all.

Feel free to add. We can bring all this out come November 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo News
    Our mayor needs to be a leader, not a follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo News

Updated: 07/10/08 6:42 AM

Before his election as mayor, there were concerns that Byron Brown hadn’t really distinguished himself, except for staying out of harm’s way. Two recent situations in which he was reactive, and not proactive, seem to reinforce this view.
    It took a Buffalo News article (after having to wrangle the information from the administration) to have hizzoner limit the use of take-home vehicles. It took citizen action via court order to potentially save a crumbling horse stable, one that the mayor allegedly “long admired” but did nothing to save until pigeon-holed into action. Now he wants the new developer to “giddy-up” to get the project going. If Brown cared so much, why didn’t he call Robert Freudenheim years ago?
    Brown should have been the one taking action to reduce costs and he should be the one to keep our architectural heritage intact. He should be embarrassed that others have to step in to do his job.
    David Vallina
    Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloNews
    Brown is wasting money by ignoring energy study
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloNews

Updated: 07/10/08 6:42 AM

Donn Esmonde’s column, “Traffic lights in city need to be put in sync,” raises an important point about traffic light synchronization and government in Buffalo. I commute through the city on a daily basis, and am constantly frustrated by the lack of timing of traffic lights, especially on main thoroughfares.
    What’s even more frustrating, though, is that state taxpayers funded a state energy study, and the information gleaned from that study — that synchronization would improve the quality of life for city residents in numerous ways — is being brushed aside by city officials.
    Each year, taxpayers fund countless government studies at significant cost. This is done with the hope that the knowledge gained might lead to some improvement in infrastructure and service delivery. That Mayor Byron Brown’s office glibly rejects the recommendations of the energy study essentially means that the taxpayer money was wasted.
    The administration, which constantly talks about attracting people to Buffalo, readily implements aggressive parking ticket enforcement, escalating property taxes and now, red-light cameras. Yet when it comes to supporting a project that would actually improve the quality of life for residents and visitors, the city is asleep at the wheel.
    John Pobedinsky
    Buffalo

Overkill @ Canisius

COPY:
    Quote:
    http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/a...ry/341531.html

Another Voice / Town-gown relations

City showed its disrespect for students at Canisius
    By Emma L. Fabian, Updated: 05/08/08 6:31 AM

I care about the City of Buffalo. Sometimes I feel as if the city does not care about me.

As an active student at Canisius College, I have witnessed the positive attributes that young people can add to the community. Among the many great things, we host dinners for our neighbors and hold community days. In addition, I go out of my way to do little things that make a difference in the community, and I like to think that the majority of my peers do the same.

Unfortunately, we repeatedly get a bad rap.

We have some traditions at Canisius for the last day of classes. The event known as Spring Fest is sponsored by the college and several student-led organizations. Tens of thousands of dollars are spent by the college to provide food and entertainment for students.

Apart from school-sponsored festivities, students partake in their own celebrations, often involving alcohol. Canisius obviously does not condone this behavior but does everything it can to ensure safety.

This does not sound much different from events held at colleges across the country. So what makes Canisius any different? Well for starters, Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown lives one block away from our campus.

This year, the city decided to crack down on the Canisius Spring Fest. Leaders cited several reasons for doing so, but none seems to stick. The city cited safety as a major concern, while Hamlin Park residents complained of the mess Canisius students leave after the celebration. The actions the city took on May 2 targeted neither of these concerns.

I looked out the windows of my dorm in the morning to see patrol cars from all over Western New York, SWAT teams and even armored vehicles. City officials warned us about the crackdown, but they failed to mention that they would transform our campus into the likes of a military base or a high-security prison. Residents and students alike were inconvenienced by impassable streets and an unnecessary amount of police presence.

One Hamlin Park resident mentioned on a news report that the point was to “send a message.”

We got the message loud and clear: The city does not care about us.

When deciding what to do after college, why would we choose to live in this city that treated us like barbarians and criminals? Why would we want to support the city that used excessive force to scare us?

Many students wore shirts that read: “Dear Byron, Please give us one more Quad Party in Buffalo before we all get jobs in another city.” This was the general consensus among students.

I am a lifelong resident of Buffalo, so I understand the concern to uphold the well-being of our communities. But guess what — students are part of the community here, too. It’s about time we start getting treated that way.

Emma L. Fabian is president of the UndergraduateStudent Association at CanisiusCollege

Planless in Buffalo

COPY:
    http://www.newwnypolitics.com/index....d=416&Itemid=2

Challenge To Brown: Rehab Houses Or Become City's Biggest Slumlord

Written by Glenn Gramigna, Editor, Sunday, 16 March 2008

PUSH Challenges Brown Administration To Rehab 100 Houses A Year Including Many It Owns...State Rehab $$ Going Unclaimed According To Bartley..."Downtown Byron Brown?"

The West Side community advocacy organization known as PUSH (People United For Sustainable Housing) has laid down a challenge to Mayor Brown, one that its own members are also accepting.

"First, we want the Brown Administration to provide the leadership to rehabilitate 20 west side homes per year, 100 city-wide," reports PUSH Executive Director Aaron Bartley. "Second we want the 20 worst homes on the west side, and we do have a worst list, to be rehabilitated immediately. Third, we want 50% of the rehabilitation jobs that would be create to go to neighborhood people. But, this is not just a challenge to them. It's a challenge to us too. We don't want to be confrontational to the Brown Administration. We want to work with them to get these things accomplished."

Where would the money come from? Why is this City Hall's business?...Bartley explains that there is millions of dollars in NYS housing rehab money going unclaimed apparently because some are reluctant to go through the cumbersome application process. As for the second question, PUSH's numero uno points out that something like 500 of these neglected properties are owned by...You guessed it!...City Hall itself!

"During the time he was Governor, Eliot Spitzer put aside from $100 million to $400 million for urban housing rehabilitation," Bartley says. "Every year who knows how much state rehab money is going unclaimed. One reason is that the application process is so difficult that people are reluctant to go through it. I"m not just accusing City Hall of this. We in the non-profit community are also guilty of this too."

In any case, PUSH has been trying to share its concerns over this problem with members of the Brown Administration for months.

"We've been asking for a meeting with Mayor Brown for a long time without any success," Bartley notes. "In November, we brought 150 people to City Hall to ask that the city start making some progress on housing issues. We did get to speak with the new Deputy Mayor Donna Brown. But, she was just starting in her new job and there wasn't much she could do at that point. She was noncommital."

Part of the problem, in Bartley's view, is the fact that the Brown Administration seems to be concerned exclusively with downtown development, with little interest in also developing the neighborhoods.

"This is why some people are calling the Mayor 'Downtown Byron Brown' because he only seems to be interested in downtown and not interested in doing anything to help the neighborhoods at all," Bartley contends." It shouldn't be either or. We should be doing both but definitely we should not be neglecting the neighborhoods."

Especially frustrating to Bartley and PUSH is the fact that the City of Buffalo owns hundreds of negleted properties and is not doing anything to maintain or improve them.

"The City got many of these properties from a state agency that was completely neglecting these properties and now the Brown Administration is doing the same thing," he charges. "All you have to do is drive down certain west side streets and you'll see dozens of neglected properties, about 50% of them city owned. Clearly the City of Buffalo has no plan to deal with this problem outside of doing 5,000 demolitions. PUSH is willing ot help through its volunteers. We can also help put people who need jobs with the new rehab jobs that would be created... But, we definitely need a comprehensive plan."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You know I can make a seperate page for people that could do this per lifer politician. Would be nice to have a complete reference why they need to be voted out of office never to return again.

Board'em Up Betty gets the Shaft

Quote:
    http://artvoice.com/issues/v7n3/getting_back_at_betty

Getting Back at Betty

by Peter Koch

If you were to ask Betty Tryjankowski what her work on the City of Buffalo’s demolition team includes, she would tell you, matter-of-factly, “Everything.” And she wouldn’t be lying. As an integral member of the city’s Department of Economic Development, Permit and Inspection Services (EDPIS) for the past 10 and a half years, it’s been her job to process all of the paperwork that makes city demolitions possible. She puts together bid packages, she opens the bids, she sends out notices to proceed to demolition contractors, she makes sure the funding is available to pay contractors and then she pays them, she bills the property owners for demolitions, she schedules air monitoring on demolition sites, she processes the information from final inspections and, finally, she enters all of the important data into the city’s Hansen computer system, so it can be tracked by the city. To put it simply, were it not for Tryjankowski working hard and pulling at the reins, the city’s demolition activity would come to a complete halt. And doubtless that is what is about to happen.

That’s because Tryjankowski—lovingly referred to by colleagues as “Board ’em up Betty” for her role in reforming the city’s board-up program—was physically transferred out of her office on the third floor in EDPIS to a first floor office in the Division of Treasury and Collections at the end of 2007. According to a December 11 memorandum sent by Tim Wanamaker to Tryjankowski’s commissioner, Richard Tobe, the transfer came at the recommendation of a secretive Billings and Collections Taskforce, formed, no doubt, at the behest of Deputy Mayor Steve Casey. The memo states, “…the Taskforce has determined that significant changes need to be made to the current process of billing and collecting demolitions and board-ups in the Department of Economic Development, Permit and Inspection Services. The report submitted by the Taskforce indicates a significant decrease in revenues generated by the department from $6.5M in 2002-03 to $3.2M in 2006-07.” To address the problem, the memo recommended Tryjankowski be transferred “no later than December 24, 2007.”

But Tryjankowski claims that the taskforce is flat-out wrong. “Those numbers aren’t correct at all,” she says. “They were looking at a really tiny portion of the stuff that was on one of the computer systems, the old one.” In fact, she says that since she changed the board-up billing system in 2005, collections revenues have been on the increase. The more recent information is stored on the city’s newer computer system, Hansen, and has been entered there since 2004. And even if the memo were correct about the numbers, it offers no clear solution to the supposed revenue dilemma. In her new post, Tryjankowski is ostensibly charged solely with the processing of board-ups, their billings and collections. The transfer, she says, “is kind of like being sent to Siberia.”

In a strange twist of fate, however, the new post is really the opposite of a work camp. Because Betty was on vacation when she was supposed to be transferred, it became effective on her first day back, January 2. She returned to City Hall to a stack of fresh bills to process for board-ups performed by the city’s clean-and-seal crew. It took her only two days to process the paperwork, and then she was done. For the week. “The work that they’ve assigned me to do comprised about five percent of my previous job,” she says, clearly disturbed. You see, Betty is a good worker, concerned with filling out her job description effectively and efficiently. She’s done so in various posts as a civil servant in the City of Buffalo for decades. This month marks her 33rd year with the city. And all of this sitting around idly while demolitions languish has Betty stressed out, so much so that she’s out on sick leave until February 1.

If something doesn’t seem right about this whole situation—a taskforce working in secret, a respected, efficient employee set adrift, a demolition program put in jeopardy—there’s probably good reason for it. Here’s the rub: Although she’s only met the mayor once in person, Betty Tryjankowski has had another, more publicly adversarial relationship with Mayor Byron Brown’s office. Think back, if you will, to a February night in 2007, when the mayor’s SUV was “stolen” from his house, crashed into several vehicles in the neighborhood of Canisius College and abandoned. We all know now, of course, that it was the mayor’s son, Byron III, who took the vehicle joyriding. One of the vehicles that he damaged, a small pickup, belonged to Betty’s college-aged daughter, Janelle Tryjankowski. In early April, while the story was unfolding, Betty’s husband, Stephen, and daughter appeared numerous times on television news and were quoted by the Buffalo News about the incident. But Betty never approached the media, and she asked that she not be quoted or pictured in the news. As was the case with this article, the media sought out the Tryjankowskis; they didn’t go in search of a media circus. But eventually her name appeared in print. In an April 7, 2007 article, News reporter Brian Meyer quotes Betty thusly: “‘But I don’t believe the son was lying to his parents all this time,’ said Betty Tryjankowski. ‘I believed it was a concerted effort to cover it up.’”

And that, you could say, is where she gets herself in trouble. Free speech is not a highly regarded right now in City Hall, and publicly accusing the administration of a coverup is akin to workplace suicide.

The main reason that the Tryjankowskis were concerned about the whole incident in the first place was because the mayor’s insurance—Allstate—wouldn’t release the money to pay for repairs to Janelle’s truck until the case was deemed something other than a genuine theft. So, the longer it took for Byron III to reveal that he was behind the wheel—a fact that surprised almost nobody save for the mayor—the longer it would be before Janelle had an operational vehicle. By the time the truth came out six weeks later, the Tryjankowskis had already begun repairs to the crippled truck. The force of the impact had spun the truck 180 degrees in the accident, ruptured the gas tank and rammed the exhaust system into the engine. To make matters worse, two months later, after Allstate had paid off on the accident, the truck’s head gasket blew and it died anyway. And then the mayor’s office accused the Tryjankowskis of “running to the media” and making the mayor’s car caper into a bigger deal than it really was.

So is this whole situation the result of a long-held vendetta by the mayor’s office against Board ’em up Betty? It’s the explanation that makes the most sense, simply because no other explanation makes any. Everyone who works with Betty—from her commissioner to her director to her direct colleagues—supports her, and warned against transferring her to another department. Her work is integral to the functioning of EDPIS. When the Billings and Collections Taskforce was told that they had looked at information from an old system, it neglected to inspect the correct, up-to-date information held on the Hansen database. And now everyone’s suffering, particularly the demolitions contractors who aren’t getting paid for their work. Several contractors have reportedly sought audiences with the mayor to discuss Betty’s situation, but none have been granted. Things have gotten so bad, in fact, that a number of asbestos and demolitions contractors are holding a rally in support of Tryjankowski this Saturday.

Where does that leave Mayor Brown’s much-touted five-in-five demolition program? It’ll be hard to demolish 5,000 structures over the next five years if there’s nobody in City Hall to process them.

Above all, though, she just wishes the situation would disappear, and she’d be free to return to her old job. “I just need to be left alone to do the work that I’m supposed to do,” Betty says, finally. “If only I’d be allowed to do the work I’m supposed to do

Quote:
    http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/255477.html
    BUFFALO

Demolition unit focus of controversy

By Brian Meyer NEWS STAFF REPORTER, Updated: 01/19/08 7:07 AM

A longtime employee in Buffalo’s demolitions unit has been reassigned, but city officials deny the move is tied to an auto accident last year involving Mayor Byron W. Brown’s son.

Some contractors, meanwhile, are holding a meeting today on demolitions unit changes that they find worrisome.

Contractors have complained about delays in receiving payments from the city and about processing snags that they claim are delaying demolitions.

Brown talked with a couple of contractors Friday, and his finance chief said the problems they highlighted predate the recent restructuring.

One change involved the transfer of Betty Tryjankowski to the Treasury from a post she held for more than a decade in the Department of Economic Development, Permit and Inspections Services. Days after her Jan. 2 transfer, Tryjankowski went on medical leave for what she said are stress-related maladies. She said she was not sure when her doctors will let her return.

Tryjankowski’s daughter owned one of three cars damaged early one morning last February when the mayor’s son crashed the family vehicle. The mayor said he and his wife thought a thief had taken the vehicle and later abandoned it until their son confessed to a detective six weeks later.

Tryjankowski made no public comments on the crash until the day the mayor announced that his son had confessed. At that point, Tryjankowski responded to a reporter’s question by saying she didn’t believe “the son was lying to his parents all this time.”

But Tryjankowski said Friday the matter is over in her eyes, adding her daughter received an insurance settlement. Tryjankowski said she doesn’t want to believe her transfer is fallout from the controversy.

“I really believe the mayor is a big enough man to rise above anything like that,” she said.

But she added that others suspect her transfer is retribution carried out by someone in Brown’s administration.

Such claims are unfounded, said First Deputy Mayor Steven M. Casey, who pointed to proof that changes were being discussed months before the auto accident. An article Jan. 6, 2007, in The Buffalo News referred to concerns about collections of various demolition and board-up fees, intimating that some billing tasks might be centralized in one office.

Tryjankowski’s transfer to Treasury was part of the plan to streamline operations, Casey insisted.

“Some people don’t like change,” he added.

The owner of Hannah Demolition in South Buffalo praised the mayor’s desire to improve operations. Albert Steele gave Brown credit for making strides during his two years in office. But he said he and other contractors worry about the impact of Tryjankowski’s transfer on demolitions.

“We’ve been told there’s no one trained to process some of the things she handled,” Steele said.

Finance Commissioner Janet Penksa said the contractors’ complaints show that restructuring is needed. She said one company had been waiting a year for $300,000 owed by the city.

“The reason were making these changes is so that this kind of thing never happens again,” Penksa said. “We clearly need to make more reforms.”

bmeyer@buffnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    You know I can make a seperate page for people that could do this per lifer politician. Would be nice to have a complete reference why they need to be voted out of office never to return again.
    That would be great! How do I help?

I'm surprised!

Hey CS....did you take a page out of Dick Kern's primer on copying and pasting???

Quote Originally Posted by knowsitall
    Hey CS....did you take a page out of Dick Kern's primer on copying and pasting???
    actually I copied his posts and pasted them here. Ironic don't you think?

BTW, I just wanted to make a list, with some backup (showing that it actually occurred) so that people would remember. I could care less if the article is actually posted but you know people on this board, if they can't see it, it means it never existed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    That would be great! How do I help?
    If we do this we can't just target one person.... I would like all the useless lifer politicians targeted. Are future is too important as a community to leave anyone out

Seriousily if we come up with a way to do this you'd like to help out?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You should email the Buffalo News and ask permission for copy/pasting thier stories though. You saw how they emailed Joe Illuzi for pasting thier content on his site.

You should email the Buffalo News and ask permission for copy/pasting thier stories though. You saw how they emailed Joe Illuzi for pasting thier content on his site.
    Though Illuzzi, supposedly, is a for profit website. I would think a certain amount of Fair Use would apply on a community message board. Unless you've found some way to rake in teh dough with Speakupwny.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

If we do this we can't just target one person.... I would like all the useless lifer politicians targeted. Are future is too important as a community to leave anyone out

Seriousily if we come up with a way to do this you'd like to help out?
    Agreed, all useless (local) lifer pols (database would be huge if we went further out). Although we could do statewide seats (gov, Comp, DA, senators, etc). Yes, I'm serious too, I'm will make myself available to help out.

I copied and pasted from previous posts threads (Kerns, it was gut wrenching after I lambasted him for posting the entire article). Maybe we could work out some sort of agreement with the news to post snippets and redirecting them to the BFLO News site for the full article.

In the future I'll only post a snippet.

Peace Bridge - Plans? What Plans?

Brown’s position is clear on Peace Bridge expansion

"Thanks to Mayor Byron Brown for visiting the homes of the Columbus Park neighborhood, communing with the residents and meeting to discuss the Peace Bridge expansion project. But while we have, again and again, made our position clear, we’ve yet to hear the same from him. When pressed, he stated he wanted the “process to move forward.” Further, he sees himself in the role of “shepherd.” If he is a shepherd, who is his flock?

When a resident in our meeting questioned whether a Porter Avenue property was earmarked for development, Brown professed no knowledge of any plan for the property. Then, one week later, his office announced a plan to turn property barely one block away into a “prime development site.” Choosing to withhold this information from us speaks volumes. It is deception by omission, and it makes Brown’s position abundantly clear.

But he is less the shepherd of this project than the sheep dog. He is herding a great part of a vital urban neighborhood to slaughter and exiling the remainder to a concrete encampment inside a profoundly foolish public works project. He may as well put up the barbed wire now, and call in the wolves."

Buffalo Resident

++++++++++

So you think you know the man! Smooth talkin'... out of both sides of his mouth!

Steve Casey - Aka Dr. Evil

From the Artvoice. Hoyt has a good point - why is Casey using his public position for purely political games? How is that legal?

Quote:

The Bully's Pulpit
    by Geoff Kelly

Today Judy Einach announced that she was dropping out of the race for the Niagara District Common Council seat being vacated by Nick Bonifacio, who is retiring. Or possibly making himself available for a new job, should Jim Keane become the next county executive. That’s a different story, to be explored in these pages soon enough.

This story is about why Einach dropped out—and, more particularly, how Deputy Mayor Steve Casey, the mayor’s chief political officer, is waging a no-holds-barred war to win a rubberstamp Common Council for the Brown administration. That war is being fought most fiercely in the Niagara District, because Bonifacio represents a swing vote separating administration allies (Bonifacio is generally one of five) and the somewhat independents (of whom there are four).

Einach’s departure leaves Buffalo policeman David Rivera, who won the endorsement of the Niagara District’s Democratic committee, and assistant corporation counsel Peter Savage III, who didn’t, despite the worst efforts of Casey. As reported in the Buffalo Rocket last month, Niagara District committee people who were leaning toward Rivera—the candidate advanced by Assemblyman Sam Hoyt, who has substantial influence in the district and is a rival to Brown in party politics—began to receive less-than-subtle messages, supposedly emanating from the second floor of City Hall, that they should stay away from the committee’s June 7 endorsement meeting. Or, if they insisted on attending, that they had better vote for Savage.

Threats like these are illegal but not unusual in Buffalo politics. They are delivered second or third hand, in somewhat vague language, but in such a way that the recipient knows the threat’s provenance and its consequences. The consequences of backing Rivera? Well, say you’re a committee person in the Niagara District, and you or a relative works for the city—not unlikely, given the city’s patronage structure. Maybe you or that relative will lose an office, or a computer, or a phone. Maybe you’ll both wind up working in the basement. Maybe you’ll lose your job, or your relative’s job will be made so unpleasant she’ll quit.

Jonathan Rivera, who resigned his staff position with Congressman Brian Higgins in order to run his father’s campaign, told Einach about these threats in advance of the June 7 meeting, according to the Rocket. Einach, who had announced her intention to run for the seat, initially had asked her supporters on the committee to abstain. But that evening, when she saw that many Rivera supporters had failed to show up, and that others seemed poised to vote for Savage, she realized that Jonathan Rivera was correct: Hoyt’s committee people had been strong-armed to abandon their candidate. Disgusted, she told her supporters to cast their votes for David Rivera—who thus squeaked by Savage to win the committee’s endorsement, a step toward winning the Democratic primary, which is tantamount to winning the general election.

Casey was said to be furious at the setback. He reportedly tried to apply pressure on Jonathan Rivera, through another staffer in Higgins’ office, to recant the story the Rocket had reported. Jonathan Rivera refused. Casey began spreading stories about Einach, according to sources in City Hall, suggesting that Einach had made a deal with Sam Hoyt: that he had promised her a job, which would be illegal, and that she was a political pawn and not the independent voice she portrayed herself to be.

To suggest Einach is in Hoyt’s pocket is absurd. In a conversation with Artvoice a week after that June 7 meeting, Hoyt was reluctant to give Einach any credit for Rivera’s close win over Savage. But he was quick to light into Brown for allowing Casey to run a rough-and-tumble political operation out of the mayor’s office. Hoyt described Casey as a first-rate political operative. “But he has no business holding a position in government,” Hoyt said.

That position gives Casey incredible leverage to achieve his political ends. And, for his part, Casey seems to believe that a rubberstamp Common Council is good government. “This is about governing for this administration,” Casey told Robert McCarthy of the Buffalo News back in June. “We need folks in place to help us achieve our ultimate goals.”

Hooray for checks and balances.

Einach says that Casey has gone far past rumor-mongering. “Messages have been delivered to me through friends of mine, with Casey’s name on them,” she told Artvoice in an interview last week. “The administration figures out someone who knows me, and whom I trust, who calls me and says, ‘This is what Casey said.’ They’ve contacted businesses with which I have relationships and they’ve threatened those businesses in some way. They’ve threatened other friends of mine with serious actions that are highly illegal.”

Einach did not elaborate on the nature of the threats to herself, her friends and their businesses, but Bryon McIntyre, a Buffalo firefighter who’s running against the Ellicott District incumbent, Brian Davis, offered a few examples. McIntyre left a stack of fliers in Destini’s, a pizzeria on Main Street near Allen, which was spotted by a staffer in Davis’s office. The staffer said that if the restaurant kept the fliers, a grant the owner had applied for would be denied. The owner removed the fliers, still has not received the grant and Davis’s campaign office has opened across the street. Meanwhile, McIntyre’s campaign office at 397 Jefferson Avenue was burglarized on July 3. The suspected burglar—identified in the police report as a “local winehead”—bypassed the alcohol in the refrigerator, instead stealing an ancient, mammoth, black-and-white TV (“The dust on that thing was 12 years old,” McIntyre said) and a three-CD changer.

Oh, yes—and a manila envelope filled with signed petitions, some for McIntyre and some for other politicians running against the Casey-Brown machine.

McIntyre said that one Thursday night not long ago he sat next to Brown while the mayor was watching his son play basketball. The mayor asked McIntyre how he was doing, and McIntyre replied that he was fine, except that he’d just announced his candidacy for the Ellicott District seat and he’d had the tires on all four of his vehicles slashed overnight. During his life in politics, McIntyre explained, he’d had his car tires slashed several times, including when he ran for the city’s school board. He described it as “a message,” as “the price of doing business.” Einach said that her tires were slashed during her run for mayor in 2005. She said friends had told her to expect that sort of thing: “They told me they’d do anything except kill you,” she remembered.

“[Brown] told me, ‘Yeah, they used to do us like that too when we started,” McIntyre recalled. “I said, ‘So that makes it right?’”

Davis, McIntyre’s opponent, has the support of the Brown administration. So powerful is the pressure to elect administration-friendly councilmembers that McIntyre’s own union, IAFF Local 282, has endorsed Davis. It’s the first time the firefighters union has ever endorsed a non-member over a member.

The fight for the Common Council has extended to the Delaware District, as well, where incumbent Mike LoCurto—formerly Hoyt’s chief of staff—is facing a Casey/Brown-sponsored primary challenge by Jennifer Maglietto. Maglietto works in the administration’s CitiStat office. City Hall employees have been circulating her petitions. As this newspaper was readying to go to print, a press release for Maglietto’s campaign arrived by email; it came from the private email account of Melanie Gregg, who works for the city’s Office of Strategic Planning and whose emails are more often titled “News from Mayor Brown.”

City Hall employees who work on campaigns are ostensibly volunteers—and maybe that’s what Gregg is—but most are more aptly described hostages. They work for whomever their bosses in the administration tell them to support.

“I’ve had City Hall employees come up and apologize to me for carrying my opponent’s petitions,” LoCurto told Artvoice. “They tell me they have no choice, they have to do it.”

Einach said that City Hall insiders are circulating Savage’s petitions, too. They’ll approach other city employees and ask them to sign; if they hesitate, she explained, “They’ll say, ‘How’s the job going?’ or something like that.” The implied threat is clear. Einach said her supporters told her that Savage’s campaign workers were on the streets circulating petitions two days before they were legally allowed to do so. McIntyre said that sort of cheating is typical. But, he said, what are you going to do? The deputy commissioner who hears petition challenges at the Erie County Board of Elections is Alonzo Thompson, a close ally of Byron Brown.

“How can you trust the petition process when the guy your petitions have to go through is the president of Grassroots?” McIntyre said. “This is a dinosaur democracy. It’s one of the last old machines.”

In the press release explaining her withdrawal from the race, Einach wrote,

The wonderful and awful thing about running for public office is that as a candidate I have gotten a clearer picture of local government…

What I see is despicable…

The language of threats against me during this race has been violent…They have come with Steve Casey’s name as the sender…

I have seen enough to know that I want to make sure the Primary votes in the Niagara District do not split in such a way that Peter Savage III, the candidate supported by the Casey-Brown administration, secures the Democratic line in the General Election. Since it is unrealistic to expect the endorsed candidate, David Rivera, to withdraw, I am bowing out.

That is a sad story indeed—and we’re only on chapter one. Tune in next week, when the saga continues.
    Last edited by CSense; July 11th, 2008 at 11:55 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information