Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: State Deficit...WOW

State Deficit...WOW

Excerpt from today's Buffalo News...

...Paterson, however, focused on educating New Yorkers about the necessity and inevitability of reducing spending.

The state’s top 20 corporations and banks paid $72 million in taxes for the last quarter of last year, he said, compared with $533 million for the same period the year before.
    All I can say is.... WOW.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

From Bad to Worse

What about this part...

Patterson warns of a $5 billion deficit projected for next year and $21.5 billion over the next three years.
    Buffalo should consider itself lucky whenever it is able to lure any qualified professional who comes and takes up residence here. That is one reason why I was so upset to hear that NEWCO passed on hiring Mike Young. .. and now, ...he's gone. All Erie County taxpayers should be very afraid.

We're in deep s h i t and need all of the expertise that enters into our city intent on success. We shouldn't be chasing people out of town. Do I have to remind you that Tom Golisano got a very chilly reception here at one time? We cannot afford to snub smart, motivated executives. Who are we kidding? It's hard enough to survive in this State. Let's not fight over the dung heap.
    Last edited by buffy; July 24th, 2008 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    What about this part...

Buffalo should consider itself lucky whenever it is able to lure any qualified professional who comes and takes up residence here. That is one reason why I was so upset to hear that NEWCO passed on hiring Mike Young. .. and now, ...he's gone. All Erie County taxpayers should be very afraid.

We're in deep s h i t and need all of the expertise that enters into our city intent on success. We shouldn't be chasing people out of town. Do I have to remind you that Tom Golisano got a very chilly reception here at one time? We cannot afford to snub smart, motivated executives. Who are we kidding? It's hard enough to survive in this State. Let's not fight over the dung heap.

We need to get out of office these lazy, good for nothing legislators and senators that do nothing but SPEND SPEND SPEND! Nobody wants to step up to the plate down there and say NO.

I want to know who that Legislator was that asked for 1 million for the museum or whatever, it was turned down, and then when Patterson came into office, he asked for 5 MILLION! How ignorant is that? How self serving is that?
    Those people are pathetic.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Blind as a Bat

Gov. Paterson is a do as I say not as do kinda guy...

The man submitted a budget which had a projected $5 billion deficit from the get go and now he's saying that "others" just don't get it. Did I miss something?

Wait there's more...seems like he can't stop spending either.....

Quote Originally Posted by nysun
    .........Mr. Paterson's yearly payroll totals $15.68 million, $1.5 million more than what the state was spending on personnel during the Spitzer administration.
    The data doesn't take into account the recent departures of three high-level staffers — the director of state operations, a deputy secretary, and the governor's counsel. The exits, however, are not likely to lead to an overall reduction in the staffing level. Mr. Paterson has already filled two of those positions with acting officials, who had held senior positions in the chamber that will, in turn, also be filled.

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/paters...ng-cuts/81507/

So what's the deal? I just don't get this state! Where is the self control? What next pool alarms, I mean geesh!

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    We need to get out of office these lazy, good for nothing legislators and senators that do nothing but SPEND SPEND SPEND! Nobody wants to step up to the plate down there and say NO.

I want to know who that Legislator was that asked for 1 million for the museum or whatever, it was turned down, and then when Patterson came into office, he asked for 5 MILLION! How ignorant is that? How self serving is that?
    Those people are pathetic.
    I dont think every legislator voted for the budget. So I wouldnt categorize them all in their. But a vast majority yes.

So, where is the outrage that Paterson continues to spend, spend, spend???

It's not just the out-of-sight spending that is killing us, the taxpayers are supporting a HUGE NYS administrative body including all of its layers and public unions.

Paterson is the blind leading the blind...he passed the budget.

Just how bad do things have to get before someone suggests maybe it's time to reform Albany?

TOM GOLISANO - PLEASE RUN FOR GOVERNOR, again.
    Last edited by buffy; July 24th, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Not good this state is bad in what ever it does! The people have to vote all this politicians out that have been in office forever. No wonder everyone leaves this state. I like the forum about the nys disability retirement and how they screw these people that are disabiled, that is terrible again the politicians
    make the laws and tax tax and tax and tax you to death.

I am going to sit back and Roll a fat one becuase this train wreck is going to be a riot to watch.The politicians are like deer in the headlights and some of em come November could be road kill. Vote Sam Hoyte out,Vote George Maziarz out,Vote Francine Delomte out and I will save the biggest creep for last Dale Volker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    I am going to sit back and Roll a fat one becuase this train wreck is going to be a riot to watch.The politicians are like deer in the headlights and some of em come November could be road kill. Vote Sam Hoyte out,Vote George Maziarz out,Vote Francine Delomte out and I will save the biggest creep for last Dale Volker.
    I don't agree CGood, this train wreck is going to be in slow motion.

None of those you mentioned are going to be voted out. The general public doesn't have the wherewithal to vote against them.

These politicians are professional speakers. We spend way too much time listening to what they are saying instead of watching what they are doing. That idiot Hoyt has made a living by talking about change the last 19 years. He talks a good talk but we have seen absolutely no results!

STOP LISTENING TO THEM AND START WATCHING THEM!

The politicians are too indebted to the public sector to risk initiating reform; however, this is another warning from the above-referenced Patterson article.
    Elizabeth Lynam of the Citizens Budget Commission warned against adding to the state's debt burden of $11 billion. "State leaders need to take a hard look at spending cuts and that means the salaries and benefits of public employees."

The Public Employees Federation and Civil Service Employees Association (CSEA) yesterday expressed disappointment that Paterson hadn't given them advance notice of his speech, which was first reported by the New York Post. And CSEA's Stephen Madarasz said cutting the state payroll would only worsen the economy: "You cannot balance the budget on the backs of state workers."
    No one is saying that the state worker's bear the brunt of the cut-backs, what Patterson said is that no one is exempt, the situation is severe enough that diistractions (exemption/arguments) is exempt from 7% across the board cut. This is Patterson's recommendation after meeting with evryone he should have consulted with in Washington. They all said: Get busy Albany!

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    The politicians are too indebted to the public sector to risk initiating reform; however, this is another warning from the above-referenced Patterson article.

No one is saying that the state worker's bear the brunt of the cut-backs, what Patterson said is that no one is exempt, the situation is severe enough that diistractions (exemption/arguments) is exempt from 7% across the board cut. This is Patterson's recommendation after meeting with evryone he should have consulted with in Washington. They all said: Get busy Albany!
    I am saying it,go to every department and fire 10% of em Think about it 100 people in a department you cut 10.Doesnt look like hardship to me unless you are one of the 10. Speaking of imcompetent I have to go to the DMV tommorow.

Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    I don't agree CGood, this train wreck is going to be in slow motion.

None of those you mentioned are going to be voted out. The general public doesn't have the wherewithal to vote against them.

These politicians are professional speakers. We spend way too much time listening to what they are saying instead of watching what they are doing. That idiot Hoyt has made a living by talking about change the last 19 years. He talks a good talk but we have seen absolutely no results!

STOP LISTENING TO THEM AND START WATCHING THEM!
    I dont listen to Liars so I sure dont listen to a politician.

Say one thing, do another......
    Grant-After-Grant-After-Grant-After-Grant......

Starline gets grant

Updated: 07/19/08 6:53 AM

Starline USA will receive a $275,000 capital grant from Empire State Development Corp. to help defray costs related to expanding its Grand Island location.
    Starline, the U. S. branch of a Canada- based promotional products company, previously announced plans to expand its warehouse space, make some renovations to its existing facility and invest in new equipment. The project is estimated at $2.1 million.
    The company plans to keep its 121 jobs and add 41 new jobs with an average annual wage of $40,000. Starline also received Foreign Trade Zone status to reduce its tariff costs. A large percentage of Starline’s products are shipped to Canada.
    Starline adds emblems, logos and lettering to promotional items used by companies and institutions.

Seminars scheduled for grant applicants

Updated: 07/14/08 6:42 AM

NORTH TONAWANDA — A series of seminars on obtaining state grants for arts projects begins at 6 p. m. Wednesday in the Carnegie Art Center, 240 Goundry St.
    The center is administering an arts grant decentralization program funded by the New York State Council on the Arts. The competitive grants are meant for community-based arts activities offered by nonprofit organizations in 2009. Amounts range from $300 to $5,000.
    Applications are available online at www.carnegieartcenter.org . All applicants, whether they’ve received grants before, are required to attend a seminar. Other seminars are set for: noon July 24 in Youngstown Free Library, 240 Lockport St.; noon Aug. 2 and 6 p. m. Aug. 27 in the Niagara Arts and Cultural Center, 1201 Pine Ave., Niagara Falls; 10 a. m. Aug. 7 in the Kenan Center, 433 Locust St., Lockport; 2 p. m. Aug. 13 in the Middleport Free Library, 9 Vernon St.; 2 p. m. Aug. 18 in Wilson Town Hall, 375 Lake St.; 6 p. m. Aug. 21 in the Lewiston Public Library, 305 S. Eighth St.; and 4 p. m. Sept. 4 in the Carnegie Art Center.
    Registration for any seminar is available by calling 694-4400, Ext 302. The grant application deadline is Oct. 1.
    $180,000 state grant boosts housing services agency

Updated: 08/04/08 6:47 AM

West Side Neighborhood Housing Services received more than $180,000 for homeownership assistance and foreclosure prevention counseling, advocacy and legal services. The grant was secured by Sen. Antoine Thompson, D-Buffalo, from the State Division of Housing and Community Renewal and the State Banking Department.
    The two departments have given $1.765 million in grants to different agencies in New York. Housing and Community Renewal has awarded $975,000 to 12 organizations through its Urban Homeownership Assistance Program for homeownership assistance programs for low-income families. The Banking Department granted $790,000 for foreclosure prevention services.
    Erie, Niagara counties slow to seek state grants for shared services
    Dollars earmarked for collaborations

By Irene Liguori NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Updated: 07/14/08 8:03 AM

New York State put $13.7 million up for grabs this year for local governments willing to work together and find creative ways to save taxpayers money.
    Erie and Niagara counties, it turns out, won just $1 million of those grant dollars.
    “Why aren’t there more grant recipients from Erie County? I’ve asked that same question,” said Assemblyman Sam Hoyt, chairman of the Assembly committee with jurisdiction over the Shared Municipal Services Incentive grants.
    “Even though we have been a hotbed of discussion about municipal cooperation in this region, for whatever reason, Erie County hasn’t received as much of the SMSI resources as I’d like to see,” Hoyt said.
    Hoyt said he plans to send a letter to area municipal government leaders publicizing the grant program, established during the state’s 2005-06 budget year.
    Winning proposals involve two or more units of local government that cook up joint ideas for trimming costs and improving municipal efficiency through shared services, cooperative agreements, mergers, consolidation and even dissolution.
    This year, 67 municipal partnership proposals across the state won money to do just that.
    The grants are being used for everything from building new shared public works facilities to upgrades for aging water supply and distribution systems.
    Individual grants this year ranged from $28,690 to $579,600.
    One of the smaller grants, for $41,426, went to Niagara County’s Village of Youngstown, which is working with the Town of Porter to study the possibility of merging the village’s Department of Public Works and the town’s Highway Department.
    Among the largest of the 2008 SMSI grants was $579,600 for the Glenville/Clifton Park Joint Sewer Project in Schenectady and Saratoga counties and $449,792 for three towns and one village in Wayne County to jointly purchase specialized pieces of heavy equipment.
    Only a handful of this year’s grant recipients went to counties, cities, towns or villages within Erie or Niagara counties.
    One of the larger grants — $209,364 — went jointly to Erie and Niagara counties for online GIS (geographic information system) and parcel research tools to be made available to municipalities in both counties — allowing the public to review and compare assessments and other information about properties.
    Other SMSI recipients in Erie and Niagara counties include:
    • The Town of Newstead and the Village of Akron: $386,400 to build a shared highway facility.
    • The Town of Boston in collaboration with the towns of Collins, Colden, Concord and Eden: $217,350 for a street sweeper and hydro-seeder.
    • The Town of Evans: $125,772 to consolidate the Village of Angola Police Department with the Town of Evans Police Department.
    • The Village of Lewiston: $79,115 to study the feasibility of consolidating services and potentially merging with the Town of Lewiston.
    Other Western New York communities receiving some of the grant money included $259,274 for the city of Batavia and Genesee County to create a countywide unified dispatch and information system.
    Also, Chautauqua County won $173,880 to conduct a comprehensive review of county, town, city and village roads to determine how existing highways are maintained, cleared of snow and ice, repaired or replaced and what joint municipal model would accomplish this work in the most effective manner.
    iliguori@buffnews.com
    State grant to help fund purchase of future rink site

Updated: 07/16/08 6:52 AM

LOCKPORT — Hopes for an indoor ice rink here are getting a major boost.
    State Sen. George D. Maziarz, R-Newfane, said Tuesday he has lined up a $400,000 state grant for the purchase and the beginning of renovations for the former Jubilee store on Chestnut Street, which is to be converted into an arena.
    It was estimated earlier this year that the total cost of buying the building and installing ice is $3 million.

Joint municipal facility plan revived

By Karen Robinson NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Updated: 06/24/08 6:51 AM

The nearly $400,000 state municipal grant intended to study the feasibility of a joint Aurora/East Aurora municipal facility to house town and village governments, along with a larger library, may finally be acted on after lying dormant for more than a year.
    Town and village officials, who just a few months ago were embroiled in political fighting as the town was buying a former school on Gleed Avenue for new town offices, seem to be edging closer to looking at the joint facility option if that is what the community backs.
    “This is good news. The community should have the option [to say] whether they want a facility on Main Street,” East Aurora Mayor Clark Crook said late Monday after the Town Board unanimously voted to reaffirm its support for the grant.
    The town’s support followed a letter drafted by Crook and Aurora Supervisor Dwight Krieger showing joint support of pursuing the study and using the state grant funds already awarded.
    Quelling the previous political infighting was critical since the community only has about six more months until the grant is set to expire. An extension for the grant may have to be sought from the state.
    “These grants are on a timetable and already, it’s been a year. We don’t have a lot of time to take advantage of the grant,” Crook said last week.
    “We’re elated that we’re going to proceed on this,” said Library Board President Deborah Carr- Hoagland. “It should be presented in a permissive referendum. The need for a new and expanded library will be proven. We’re the most utilized building on Main Street, other than the school.”
    The latest estimate pegs a library expansion at $3.7 million, which the town has previously said is too expensive.
    The grant would be used to study and establish the cost of a new joint facility for the town, village and library at Whaley Avenue.
    If the public does not approve a new joint facility, the grant money would be used for the Gleed Avenue building recently acquired by the town.
    The Village Board still needs to vote on the letter, restating both governments’ support of the grant. That action is expected to come at the village’s July 7 work session.
    “We felt it was a good communication step in moving forward,” Crook said of the joint statement. “The state is just waiting for us to execute on the grant.”
    krobinson@buffnews.com
    $89,620 state grant to help UB match interns, firms

Updated: 08/05/08 6:47 AM

The University at Buffalo received a grant from the state to administer an internship program for students living or attending college in Western New York.
    The $89,620 grant will fund Buffalointerns.com, a service based at the UB Office of Career Services, meant to match up companies with interns. Dan Ryan, director of career services, said the goal is to connect at least 200 employers with interns in the first year.
    The internship possibilities will be promoted online and at UB’s annual job fair, Jobsapalooza, Ryan said.

Town, village receive grant to pay for new master plan

By Teresa Sharp NIAGARA CORRESPONDENT
    Updated: 06/07/08 7:12 AM

WILSON — Town and village officials recently learned that they will receive a $50,000 state grant to create their first master plan in more than 40 years.
    Supervisor Joseph A. Jastrzemski and Mayor Thomas J. Bateman said this week that they received word that State Sen. George D. Maziarz, RNewfane, had procured the grant for the project.
    “The old master plan for Wilson was done in 1966 and it was never formally adopted,” said Jastrzemski. “It’s outdated and we need to move forward.
    “The county is updating its master plan and this is a good time for us to do this, too,” he added. “We have to have direction. We need to know what kind of growth we want to have.
    “People from other areas like Wheatfield, Cambria and Pendleton who want to stay in a rural/agricultural area are moving and building here in Wilson,” he added. “The growth of schools, subdivisions, etc., will all come into play. We’ll put a master plan together that boards will be able to work from in the future.”
    The town has a population of 6,000, including 1,300 in the village.
    “We are two completely separate entities and we need a different plan for each,” said Bateman. “We have the business section and sewer treatment plant here in the village, but the town is more rural. Our situations are different.
    “We will need to educate our planning boards [about master plans] and find an engineering firm that specializes in this type of work to guide us.”
    Commenting on the need for a municipality to have a master plan in place when applying for government grants, Bateman added, “it’s kind of hard to actively seek grant money for projects when there is no permanent plan in place. People want to know where you’re going to spend that money.”
    Bateman noted that the village serves as the business hub for the town, but needs to strike a balance.
    “We need to develop commercial zoning for responsible growth,” he said. “And, once a plan is developed and adopted, I would hope it would help increase tourism.
    “Unlike a lot of other communities, our village is three-sided, in that we have the harbor on the fourth side,” he said. “But that is one of the most beautiful natural harbors on the lake and is certainly a drawing card.”
    niagaranews@buffnews.com
    Plans ready for restoring old station

By Thomas J. Prohaska - NEWS NIAGARA BUREAU
    Updated: 08/08/08 6:49 AM

LOCKPORT — Residents who want to see the plans for restoring Union Station are invited to the Union Street site from 11 a. m. to 5 p. m. Saturday.
    Michele Davidson, who with her husband, Mark, owns the burned-out former train station, will be there with free food for visitors.
    She also will show blueprints and artist’s renderings for the planned rebirth of the station.
    Mark Davidson, a set dresser in Hollywood movie studios, won’t make the trip, but Michele Davidson, a Niagara County native whose father lives in Newfane, will bring the couple’s three children — 10, 8 and 5 years old.
    The Davidsons are awaiting the results of applications for state grants to pay for the exterior restoration of the station, which was being used as a restaurant when it was gutted by fire more than 35 years ago.
    A previous owner, Brian D. Yaiser of Royalton, obtained state grants to restore the station in the mid-1990s, but the need for matching funds and escalating construction costs outran his resources. He eventually returned the grant money to the state and sold the property to the Davidsons for $80,000 in 2006. Michele Davidson said exterior repairs are estimated to cost $1.2 million.
    The Davidsons have hired Clinton Brown Architecture of Buffalo to design the work. In June, they applied for about $1 million from the state Department of Transportation and $600,000 from the state Environmental Protection Fund.
    The total price tag for reactivating the station, inside and out, is estimated at as much as $3 million.
    “We should find out [about the grants] by the end of the year,” Michele Davidson said.
    The Davidsons will have to provide matching funds: 20 percent on the transportation grant and 50 percent on the environmental grant.
    They also face another financial hurdle: They might not be eligible for government grants for work on the interior, where they intend to open a gift shop, restaurant and banquet facility.
    “I’m thinking we can’t get a grant for that. That isn’t not-for-profit, it’s for-profit,” Michele Davidson said.
    Plans also include making the station a stop on the Medina Railroad Museum’s excursion trains between Lockport and Medina. The museum’s long-term hope is to extend the service to Niagara Falls, making day trips available to tourists without forcing them to drive.
    Mayor Michael W. Tucker said he was optimistic about the Davidsons’ project.
    “They paid a lot of money for that building,” he said. “I’m sure they’re not going to lay out that amount of money without having a plan.”
    He cited activity under way in that part of the city, with Niagara County Produce opening a store nearby and the planned ice rink to open next year on Chestnut Street, a block from the station.
    “It makes this project a more viable project,” Tucker said. “I think there’s more awareness than there used to be of historic preservation.”
    He said the involvement of the Brown firm, which specializes in historic restorations, is another positive. “Clinton knows exactly what to do,” Tucker said.
    tprohaska@buffnews.com
    3 arts programs share $23,200 from state

Updated: 06/10/08 6:44 AM

Three state grants totaling more than $23,000 will boost Western New York arts, Assemblyman Jim Hayes, R-Amherst, announced.
    The Musical Fare Theatre based at Daemen College in Snyder will receive $12,700 to support professional performances.
    The Road Less Traveled Productions in Buffalo will receive $3,900 for theater advancement. The company was founded in 2002 and recently opened a permanent performance space in the Market Arcade Film and Arts Centre at 639 Main St., Buffalo.
    The Jewish Community Center of Great Buffalo was awarded $6,600 for electronic media and film exhibitions as well as funding for public literacy programs.
    ORCHARD PARK SCHOOLS

Prekindergarten applications double from last year

By Barbara O’Brien NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 08/06/08 7:05 AM

More than 100 children have applied for universal prekindergarten in the Orchard Park Central School District, double the number who were enrolled last year.
    The district expects to receive a state grant for $270,000, enough to enroll 100 pupils in prekindergarten programs at six locations, Eggert Elementary Principal Lisa M. Krueger told School Board members Tuesday night.
    “Ten children are on a waiting list,” she said. Last year there were 48 children enrolled in universal pre-k throughout the district, she said.
    The program operated for 2z hours a day through Child Time, EduKids and the YMCA, and followed the regular school schedule of 180 days, Krueger said. The schedule will be the same this year, with a ratio of 18 children, one teacher and one aide per class.
    The district received proposals from those providers and three others this year, offering 209 slots for the district program.
    She said the district plans to place up to 29 children at Doodle Bugs, 36 children at EduKids, 29 at Wee Can, 10 at Child Time and five at the YMCA.
    She said Child Time and the YMCA offered only afternoon slots, and many parents prefer morning programs. Wee Can accepts children with disabilities and will offer a blended program, for all children, she said.
    District faculty and staff have visited each of the providers, and all offer programs that meet the district criteria, Krueger said.
    There have been discussions with the providers about aligning their curriculum with what is required for children entering kindergarten, and the programs will be monitored by the district.
    Also Tuesday night, the School Board set the tax rates for the coming year. Assistant Superintendent for Business Jeffrey Petrus said the final assessments and equalization rates for the six towns in the district would have raised some tax rates more than estimated in May. To offset that, the board reduced the tax levy by $210,000, bringing the tax rate for Orchard Park residents to $26.07 per $1,000 of assessed valuation, up 1.49 percent, which is in line with estimations made last spring. Other tax rates include Aurora, $34.75 per $1,000; Boston, $15.64 per $1,000; Elma, $312.82 per $1,000; Hamburg, $25.02 per $1,000; and West Seneca, $32.24 per $1,000.
    The board also raised the price for several a la carte lunch items, including milk. Milk will increase from 40 cents to 50 cents, and fruit snacks will go up from 35 cents to 50 cents.
    bobrien@buffnews.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information