Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you plan to leave the Buffalo area?

Smile How many of you plan to leave the Buffalo area?

I moved back here a year ago to reconnect to my past - thought it was a good idea at the time. Wow was I wrong. I can't believe how this area has gone to hell in a handbasket. I have never run across so many frustrated angry people. It's like everyone here thinks that because we're so tough - we're from Buffalo -we can take all this abuse - like it's bragging rights to put up with so much...bad weather, a receding population, an unimpressive reputation for growth, bad local politics, suffering thru the "laughing stock" syndrom of being from Buffalo from other parts of the country...hey we lost a Super Bowl on a field goal, hell we can take anything cuz we're from Buffalo! The place that made it's name eating a part of a chicken everybody else threw away. Sometimes it seems like this overcast town has a terminal case of schaudenfraud. From the bad weather, to the overpriced real estate - yes! Amherst housing is far more expensive than many parts of the country - especially when you factor in what you pay per month in taxes, you could afford a lot more house in many other, economically healthy cities - and get far better year on year appreciation rates. And with far fewer land fills, superfund sites, and compromised land due to all the years of manufacturing abuse that we are paying for now. The agents here compare Buffalo to places like Los Angeles when they want you to feel like you're getting a deal - sure - it's cheaper, it's got 80 inches of freaking snow a year, and a crumbling economy, and oh yeah, it kinda doesn't have the PACIFIC OCEAN in its backyard, but yeah, I can see how they can make the case for comparison sake. Why don't they compare Buffalo to say, Raleigh North Carolina, or even Greenville, South Carolina where property taxes are one third or less what we pay. There are far more new construction houses that keep the prices stable. And all have very healthy local economies, great schools, and even better weather. I am just curious to know why people stay in Buffalo. Are you here because of family? Is it inertia? It's easier to deal with the bad stuff you know rather than risking taking on a new one?
    Or is it your job that keeps you here? Would you move tomorrow if you could just transplant yourself with the same job and schools someplace else? Are any of you planning on leaving Buffalo in the next 3-5 years and if so, where are you looking? I know Buffalo has some good stuff about it....but the stuff that doesn't "work" here, really doesn't work....I know there are people here that love Buffalo, but the situation that Buffalo finds itself in makes that love difficult to reciprocate. I am not trashing the place, just curious as to the reasons why folks stay in the face of all these challenges that would not even be an issue in many other parts of the country. I grew up here. I have a ton of memories. It pains me to have to leave, but I should have remembered my wordsworth. And I cannot ignore what's wrong with the place. There is no staying to fight the good fight. What doesn't work here isn't readily fixable imo.And I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better - if it ever does.

Thanks for reading this far. This is a great forum. Kudos to the site!

The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Quote Originally Posted by ceglia
    Hi, my name is Ceglia and I am an alcoholic.
    Everyone say, "Hi." to Ceglia
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

I moved back here a year ago to reconnect to my past - thought it was a good idea at the time. Wow was I wrong. I can't believe how this area has gone to hell in a handbasket. I have never run across so many frustrated angry people. It's like everyone here thinks that because we're so tough - we're from Buffalo -we can take all this abuse - like it's bragging rights to put up with so much...bad weather, a receding population, an unimpressive reputation for growth, bad local politics, suffering thru the "laughing stock" syndrom of being from Buffalo from other parts of the country...hey we lost a Super Bowl on a field goal, hell we can take anything cuz we're from Buffalo! The place that made it's name eating a part of a chicken everybody else threw away. Sometimes it seems like this overcast town has a terminal case of schaudenfraud. From the bad weather, to the overpriced real estate - yes! Amherst housing is far more expensive than many parts of the country - especially when you factor in what you pay per month in taxes, you could afford a lot more house in many other, economically healthy cities - and get far better year on year appreciation rates. And with far fewer land fills, superfund sites, and compromised land due to all the years of manufacturing abuse that we are paying for now. The agents here compare Buffalo to places like Los Angeles when they want you to feel like you're getting a deal - sure - it's cheaper, it's got 80 inches of freaking snow a year, and a crumbling economy, and oh yeah, it kinda doesn't have the PACIFIC OCEAN in its backyard, but yeah, I can see how they can make the case for comparison sake. Why don't they compare Buffalo to say, Raleigh North Carolina, or even Greenville, South Carolina where property taxes are one third or less what we pay. There are far more new construction houses that keep the prices stable. And all have very healthy local economies, great schools, and even better weather. I am just curious to know why people stay in Buffalo. Are you here because of family? Is it inertia? It's easier to deal with the bad stuff you know rather than risking taking on a new one?
    Or is it your job that keeps you here? Would you move tomorrow if you could just transplant yourself with the same job and schools someplace else? Are any of you planning on leaving Buffalo in the next 3-5 years and if so, where are you looking? I know Buffalo has some good stuff about it....but the stuff that doesn't "work" here, really doesn't work....I know there are people here that love Buffalo, but the situation that Buffalo finds itself in makes that love difficult to reciprocate. I am not trashing the place, just curious as to the reasons why folks stay in the face of all these challenges that would not even be an issue in many other parts of the country. I grew up here. I have a ton of memories. It pains me to have to leave, but I should have remembered my wordsworth. And I cannot ignore what's wrong with the place. There is no staying to fight the good fight. What doesn't work here isn't readily fixable imo.And I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better - if it ever does.

Thanks for reading this far. This is a great forum. Kudos to the site!
    OK, bye.

I agree- just go and don't come back.

Hi ceglia, ever hear of paragraphs?

btw, I'm picking up a relative from the airport tomorrow from LA; she HATES it there after only 2 months andis hoping to move back here asap!

Hey Buffy-
    How is it going-
    long time no hear since the Bucky posts;
    Buffalo- WNY- yes, we want it to grow; yes, we want it to prosper, have jobs, etc.- but I'm sure you will all agree that we don't want the "rejects" from some other part of the country coming here;
    how about- come here if you truly have something to offer, otherwise, stay out;

Quote Originally Posted by Run, Bucky, Run
    Hey Buffy-
    How is it going-
    long time no hear since the Bucky posts;
    Buffalo- WNY- yes, we want it to grow; yes, we want it to prosper, have jobs, etc.- but I'm sure you will all agree that we don't want the "rejects" from some other part of the country coming here;
    how about- come here if you truly have something to offer, otherwise, stay out;
    hey, did you hear that the Horton's filed their civil suit against NYS today?

no, I did not hear that- can you fill me in?

Quote Originally Posted by Run, Bucky, Run
    no, I did not hear that- can you fill me in?
    oh, sure, I'm sure ceglia won't mind...here's the news story
    ATV Rider Suing Trooper, State Police

Oct 04, 2006 - Last week, a grand jury cleared a New York State trooper of charges in the shooting death of a Chautauqua County man while riding an ATV. The family of the young man who died is filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the trooper and the state police.

The grand jury proceedings were held behind closed doors...so no one will ever know the testimony. The family of Bradley Horton says a civil suit is the only way they will be get their questions answered.

"I need to know why my son isn't here today because he should be." Gloria Horton has many unanswered questions about the death of her 25 year old son, Bradley. He was riding an ATV in the town of Sheridan in June...when a state trooper tried to stop him for not wearing a helmet. Trooper Sean Pierce says his gun belt got stuck on the ATV...that Horton drove off, dragging him for a half mile. Pierce shot Horton five times, saying he feared for his own life. A grand jury cleared Pierce...but the Hortons want to know more about what happened. That's why they're suing Pierce and the New York State Police.

Gloria Horton: "We have not been able to question him and I feel it's only fair and right that we do."" Jenni Lyn Fiala, Sister: "Trooper Pierce talked about his training in one of his statements. I would have to ask is the training also involving also jumping on a moving vehicle."

There have been allegations that Horton may have used alcohol or drugs. Gloria Horton: "There may have been...it would not have anything to do with the point that he shot my son so many times for what was supposed to be a minor traffic offense."

Horton's widow, Kelly, says they were together at a winery that night...and he left to go to a friend's house. "I saw him on the ATV he said 'I'll be back in five minutes. So I assumed he'd be back in five minutes."

Doc Horton still can't understand why his son didn't stop the ATV. "I wonder that every day. Every hour I ask myself that question. I don't understand the whole situation how it escalated that far."

Kelly Horton: "I wanted to be the mother of his kids...doesn't seem fair that I can't have that anymore."

The Hortons also wonder if Pierce mistook their son for Ralph Phillips..who at the time was the focus of an intense manhunt in Chautauqua County. Pierce says he made no mistake about the two men's identities...and today he declined our request for an interview.

We also called State Police Headquarters in Albany. They will have no response until they are officially served the lawsuit paperwork...probably next week. The Hortons have also contacted the feds to look into civil rights violations -- a spokesman for the FBI will only confirm that they look into all bonafide cases of that nature.

Okay-
    I see-
    hmm-
    the first thing that comes to my mind is why not just shoot out the tire(s)- or even wound the guy in the leg, the arm- or even fire a shot off near his ears;
    it seems that the Southern Tier is becoming like a no-man's-land where anything will go at any time;

I moved to the South in January. I was the Project Manager for a Katrina Redevelopment Project in Mississippi that lost funding in May. Mississippi sucks for the most part. I then moved to Southern Alabama on the Coast and it's pretty cool here. Florida is 15 miles away and I can get great airfare out of Pensacola. I've already met so many new GOOD friends - that is key. In 1993 I moved to N. Carolina and was there until 1999, and like many I was ready to reconnect with everyone, and when I came back it was fresh for a while, new girlfriend, old great friends but things became benign again after a few years. I got engaged and then when she wanted to call it off last October, I felt as if a weight was moved off my shoulder. I decided to get the hell out of dodge (Buffalo) again and although I'm coming back to visit this month, I have zero intentions on coming back anytime soon permanently, and it's not even on my mind or on the radar. I think I'll gradually wane myself off of this site... but it's all part of the closure that is in progress.

I know people that went to California and they hated it because for one, it's rediculously expensive. Some moved to N. Carolina but they couldn't meet friends (like I have) so they also returned to Buffalo - but many remain gone and some of my old friends who moved to California, Florida, Washington and Colorado never plan on moving back.

EVeryones got stories of positive and negative progress of people who left, but all in all, a lot of people left because of the reasons already stated, which in my estimation are warranted.
    Activity + Opportunity = Success

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    Hi ceglia, ever hear of paragraphs?

btw, I'm picking up a relative from the airport tomorrow from LA; she HATES it there after only 2 months andis hoping to move back here asap!
    hey, I didn't expect to get any agreement on my post - No one wants to be made wrong for their choices - you choose to stay in Buffalo, knock yourself out. But like the guy who wrote a chorus line said - to commit suicide in Buffalo would be redundant...bwahahaha.

you can all go back to your daily dose of schadenfraude now....bye...

Quote Originally Posted by 1964
    I moved to the South in January. I was the Project Manager for a Katrina Redevelopment Project in Mississippi that lost funding in May. Mississippi sucks for the most part. I then moved to Southern Alabama on the Coast and it's pretty cool here. Florida is 15 miles away and I can get great airfare out of Pensacola. I've already met so many new GOOD friends - that is key. In 1993 I moved to N. Carolina and was there until 1999, and like many I was ready to reconnect with everyone, and when I came back it was fresh for a while, new girlfriend, old great friends but things became benign again after a few years. I got engaged and then when she wanted to call it off last October, I felt as if a weight was moved off my shoulder. I decided to get the hell out of dodge (Buffalo) again and although I'm coming back to visit this month, I have zero intentions on coming back anytime soon permanently, and it's not even on my mind or on the radar. I think I'll gradually wane myself off of this site... but it's all part of the closure that is in progress.

I know people that went to California and they hated it because for one, it's rediculously expensive. Some moved to N. Carolina but they couldn't meet friends (like I have) so they also returned to Buffalo - but many remain gone and some of my old friends who moved to California, Florida, Washington and Colorado never plan on moving back.

EVeryones got stories of positive and negative progress of people who left, but all in all, a lot of people left because of the reasons already stated, which in my estimation are warranted.
    Knowing you have to get out of Buffalo is step one. Finding your new home is the harder part of the equation. Most people don't do enough research. You can't take a list off Forbes to know what's best for you. It takes a lot of time and introspection to learn enough about yourself to pick the right place. Most of the people who hightail it back to Buffalo just made the wrong choices. They aren't coming back to Buffalo because they want to. Otherwise, they never would have left to begin with!
    But I hear ya, and appreciate your thoughts. You've been thru a lot. Change sucks. It's always tough to embrace change - you'll find many people are threatened by those willing to take a risk - it's much harder to pull up stakes and face a new place than inertia. Me? After I realized how different this Buffalo is to the one I remembered, I felt really really stupid for being here at the mercy of the government, the high taxes, the high cost of living, the ridiculous housing market, and the weather. It takes a lot of guts to do what you did. Congratulations, you deserve every happiness and I wish you the best.

hey, I didn't expect to get any agreement on my post - No one wants to be made wrong for their choices - you choose to stay in Buffalo, knock yourself out. But like the guy who wrote a chorus line said - to commit suicide in Buffalo would be redundant...bwahahaha.

you can all go back to your daily dose of schadenfraude now....bye...
    Schadenfraude. Roughly translated, it means “taking joy in another’s misery”.

Anyways, that relative I mentioned?...she left b/c she believed the myth that there are no jobs here...Thursday, when I picked her up at the airport she went straight to 3 interviews and got two solid job offers in her field and she is ectastic that she can move back home! Sick of the smog, hassel to go ANYWHERE, $1,650/month rent for a neighborhood nearer the ocean breezes (to blow away the smog) COLD people in a warm cllimate - that's what she found in California.

Going to Ellicottville this weekend to feel the love and take in the color.

Still, taxes here are killing us, but, we've got some saving graces!
    Last edited by buffy; October 7th, 2006 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information