Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promotion in Controllers Office

Promotion in Controllers Office

Why would the Town Board have approved a promotion from an accountant level position to a Supervising Accountant and not hire off of a list? Is the new controller up to her old games again? I have a Board Mereting tapes where not long ago Satish Mohan stated that there were too many people in the Controller's Office? Has he once again changed his mind? Why does governmant promote someone and then AFTER THE PROMOTIOn (although provisional) have them pass the exam? Why not make them pass the exam FIRST and then promote and pay the extra money? Isn't this also the employee that D Caroll wrote to the Board about in the past stating that he didn't deserve to be employed as a jr accountant? My My how Caroll changes with the wind.. whatever is best for HER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eyeswideopen
    Why would the Town Board have approved a promotion from an accountant level position to a Supervising Accountant and not hire off of a list? Is the new controller up to her old games again? I have a Board Mereting tapes where not long ago Satish Mohan stated that there were too many people in the Controller's Office? Has he once again changed his mind? Why does governmant promote someone and then AFTER THE PROMOTIOn (although provisional) have them pass the exam? Why not make them pass the exam FIRST and then promote and pay the extra money? Isn't this also the employee that D Caroll wrote to the Board about in the past stating that he didn't deserve to be employed as a jr accountant? My My how Caroll changes with the wind.. whatever is best for HER!!!!

I don't know anything about this but the person promoted had to be reachable on the list. They would not need to consider anyone else. And they did not hire additional staff, just promote someone who may have been working out of title. Hence, the promotion??

The person promoted was not on the list. They were promoted...and then at some future date (could be years from now) they will take the exam. It is being done backwards and I am wondering why? This exam has been offered before...why didn't this person take it already?

Quote Originally Posted by eyeswideopen
    The person promoted was not on the list. They were promoted...and then at some future date (could be years from now) they will take the exam. It is being done backwards and I am wondering why? This exam has been offered before...why didn't this person take it already?

She could not be promoted if a list existed. The union would not allow it. It is very possible the list has expired. She will have to take the test when it is given again.

1) How often does this type of situation occur within the ranks of the town?

2) I didn't know that there was a female at the accountant level within the department?

Quote Originally Posted by govtchecker
    1) How often does this type of situation occur within the ranks of the town?

2) I didn't know that there was a female at the accountant level within the department?

I know nothing about the department in terms of who is what, job-wise. But this sort of thing happens all the time in government. It is not just Amherst. If there is no list, someone can be appointed provisionally until he/she takes the test and scores in the top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by left wing
    I know nothing about the department in terms of who is what, job-wise. But this sort of thing happens all the time in government. It is not just Amherst. If there is no list, someone can be appointed provisionally until he/she takes the test and scores in the top 3.
    If it happens all of the time, then why single out one department and supervisor out by name.

You're right... this sort of thing does happen quite often. The first hurtle for the employer to get over is...."is there an eligible list?" If there is an eligible list, they MUST choose one of the top 3 "willing" to accept. If there isn't an eligible list, then they can appoint any person, provissionally. This means that the person appointed must take the next test, be one of the top 3. If that person fails the test or is not one of the top 3, he/she can remain in that position until the test comes up again, take it and they must be one of the top 3 to remain in that position. This is NYS Civil Service Law. Not a contractual term.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Happy Belated Birthday, Smiley! Sorry I missed your party, I was over at Satish's place & lost track of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf
    Happy Belated Birthday, Smiley! Sorry I missed your party, I was over at Satish's place & lost track of time!
    Thanks Gan I don't know how you do it. You never forget. The party was good. It would have been better with you there, But I know Satish needed you.

Is it your birthday again, Smiley? How many do you celebrate each year? Many happy returns!

Is it your birthday again, Smiley? How many do you celebrate each year? Many happy returns!
    The big day is July 11th, every year!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf
    The big day is July 11th, every year!
    I must make a note of that. After Smiley wins Supervisor and goes on to be president, I am sure it will be a national holiday!

Just think - TWO holidays in July!!

I must make a note of that. After Smiley wins Supervisor and goes on to be president, I am sure it will be a national holiday!

Just think - TWO holidays in July!!
    Thanks LW Go on to be President????

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley
    Thanks LW Go on to be President????
    You're the best choice we have! Next to Ketchum, that is! Hey, would you do it for an extra $500/week?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information