Thread: Car Sharing… Coming to Buffalo

Unregistered

Car Sharing… Coming to Buffalo

This is very good news in a poor city where many cannot afford cars. And its even more valuable as the economy struggles & gas prices kep rising. For many who cannot afford a car, or those who want to save money by gving up their own car, this might be the perfect alternative.

The fact that it is a volunteer-driven non-profit should keep costs lower than in many cities where costs of somewhat high.

http://buffalorising.com/story/car_s...to_buffalo#sca

Car Sharing… Coming to Buffalo

Today, 2:53pm By Green Options Buffalo

Following post submitted by Creighton Randall, Board Member of Green Options Buffalo.

Just in time for $5.00/gallon gas, an affordable and environmentally friendly alternative to auto ownership is soon to be introduced here in Buffalo. The concept is car sharing: urban dwellers become members of the program and access a car around the corner from their apartment, loft or house when they need it, allowing them to run errands such as trips to the grocery or the doctor's office at a fraction of the cost of car ownership. With the total cost of owning a car averaging 71 cents per mile (AAA), car sharing is a cheap and convenient alternative.

The most recognized version of car sharing is the national for-profit company ZipCar (founded in Boston) but several forward thinking cities like Austin, Philadelphia, Ithaca and Boulder, Colorado have recently formed locally focused non-profit initiatives with much success. In Philadelphia, PhillyCarShare has 50,000 members and operates a fleet of nearly 500 vehicles, more than half of which are hybrids.

Here in Buffalo, the concept has been gaining momentum over the last several months and a group of Buffalonians are taking the idea forward under the auspices of Green Options Buffalo. According to one of the team members, Michael Galligano, "Our analysis has led us to focus on Elmwood, Allentown, and the Lower West Side initially, but with success, we could expand our scope to other neighborhoods from there."

While Buffalo may be smaller than some of the other cities where car sharing has been successful, that doesn’t deter these folks, “We’re planning a visit to Ithaca Car Share, where they’ve just launched operations. If they can do it in Ithaca, we can do it here” says Galligano. Indeed, car sharing seems to take off in mixed-use urban areas that attract environmentally conscious types. While it might not seem so at first, the service actually makes people drive less and some members even give up their cars – PhillyCarShare members own nearly 13,000 cars less than they would have without the service - just one more reason Buffalo Car Share may be coming to a corner near you!

The team reminded us that Buffalo Car Share is a not-for-profit initiative, and relies on volunteers to turn this vision into a reality. As the venture is still in the start-up phase, there are plenty of exciting ways to get involved. Those interested should contact the Buffalo Car Share team at BuffaloCarShare@gmail.com.

The Buffalo Car Share initiative is another component of Green Options Buffalo adding upon its award winning Recycle-A-Bicycle youth program and Blue Bicycle; its current bicycle sharing program, as a mechanism to advance healthy, environmentally sustainable, community friendly transportation in Greater Buffalo.

www.wnycarpool.com (local)

The web blog wnycarpool.com is a locally managed website to hook up riders and drivers around WNY. You don't have to give out any of your personal information on the blog.

Unregistered

Ithica CarShare

Ithica CarShare has just gotten up & running in a much smaller city than Bflo.
    It is a helpful model to review in seeing how a carshare plan could work in larger, but poorer, Bflo.

There are two rate plans in Ithica, one for regular users at $200 a year, $4.95 hourly, plus $.20 a mile. The "Just in Case" plan for occasional users is $50 a year, $7.95 an hour, plus $.20 a mile.

See:

Ithica Carshare

http://www.ithacacarshare.org/

Choose the rate plan that makes the most sense for you. If you are affiliated with a college, your membership fee or usage may be partially paid by the college.

PLAN 1 It's My Car

MEMBERSHIP $200/year or
    $20/month
    USAGE $4.95/hour $0.20/mile

This is the right plan for you if you need a car more than a few times a month.
    One account on the It's My Car plan covers two drivers; add additional drivers at a reduced rate.

PLAN 2 Just in Case
    MEMBERSHIP $50/year
    USAGE $7.95/hour $0.20/mile

This is the right plan for you if just need a car once in a while.
    Covers one driver.

A friend of mine if Philadelphia uses car share all the time. He figures it saves his wife and himself $2000-$3000 a year.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Thumbs up Better, better, better...

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    A friend of mine if Philadelphia uses car share all the time. He figures it saves his wife and himself $2000-$3000 a year.
    Isn't better to take a bus, a taxi, a train, or a helicopter than own a car?

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida
    Isn't better to take a bus, a taxi, a train, or a helicopter than own a car?
    Sure it is. With the exception of the taxi. But in this area, these modes of transportation are not widespread. If I could pick the bus up near home and then be at work 20 minutes later I'd take the bus every day.

I'm able to bike the 8 miles to work faster than the bus could ever do.

Thumbs up Bike, jet and money: freedom of movement

I bike is also good. It saves a lot of money, however, it's not as fast as a corporate jet. Money is time and time is money.

Money also talks. This is why I drive my 4x4 Explorer Sport Trac. It's comes handy during the winter time and helps my freedom of movement.

Thread Information