I am writing in response to the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority's recent increase in bus fare. My all-zone pass is now $66 a month. That is a $13 increase.
Are we getting better service for this increase? No. As a matter of fact, the bus that goes to North Tonawanda did not even bother to show up on the first day of the increase. The reason? I don't know, because nobody at the NFTA knows or cares. This is the fourth time this has occurred in two months.

I have been riding the Metro Bus since 1998, when I started working downtown. It wasn't a cost savings, since $53 a month is equal to driving for me. However, to help the planet and lessen traffic congestion, I decided it was the right thing to do.

In the last two months, this is how the NFTA thanked me: It caused me to be late for college and late for my son's teacher's conference, and it increased my fare by $13 per month.

So, this is how I am thanking the NFTA. I will cancel my greenback plan at once, start driving to work and hopefully never have to use this incompetent system again. The only reason the NFTA increased fares is because it can't increase ridership. Until the NFTA gets its act together, forget this loyal rider.

MARK GREENAUER
Tonawanda

www.buffalo.com