Thread: New grant may help pay Amherst home repairs

Tony Fracasso - Admin

New grant may help pay Amherst home repairs

The Full Story

New grant may help pay Amherst home repairs
    By THOMAS J. DOLAN
    News Northtowns Bureau
    1/25/2005

Amherst is exploring whether a new grant program from the Federal Emergency Management Agency can be used to help residents dealing with cracking and sinking homes.
    Up to $3 million could be available to Amherst under
    FEMA's "Pre-Disaster Mitigation Program," officials said Monday. However, the town is unlikely to win that much, and it must act fast if it is to have any chance for a grant, they said.

Supervisor Susan J. Grelick said she will call a special Town Board meeting Monday to decide if Amherst should apply.

"This would be the town's first real action behind all of the kind words," Darlene Torbenson, a leader of the North Amherst Residents Coalition, said.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

These crybaby people with houses that are failing do not deserve any of my money as a free or near-free handout. They bought a faulty product and are now looking to everyone but themselves to solve the problem they jumped into. Where do they think the "grant" money comes from? It doesn't grow on trees people... it comes from my taxes and everyone elses.

The people that will be hurt by getting this grant are the taxpayers. The only people that will benefit are the people that made bad decisions to begin with. Why should anyone believe that their judgement is any better now?

The council board members and the people with broken houses need to fix the problem privately like other Amherst homeowners do when they have a problem. They need to grow up and take responsibility for their own mistake.

If they get even a dime for repairs, it is no better than stealing.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Where do they think the "grant" money comes from? It doesn't grow on trees people... it comes from my taxes and everyone elses.
    Doesn't is just urk you when you see our money go to other nations for projects?

Here's a dilemma....

You have housing stock in an area that suffers a common problem that wasn't properly identified when the houses were built. All the parties responsible are enjoying their retirements in Baca Raton and can't be held accountable.

But.

If something isn't done, it could lead to a crisis of confidence in the real estate in the area, which would result in a reluctance of lenders to issue mortgages for those houses, which would result in a free-fall of home values, which would then result in a free-fall in property tax revenues.

In short, a little intervention in terms of grants or low-interest loans could save a real-esate market that could collapse. Spending 3 million of taxpayer money could save 100 million of lost tax revenue and economic distress.

It's called a "bailout".

Does it suck? Yes. Is it probably the right thing to do? Yep. Nobody said it has to be done really well, just enough to ensure stability of the market. The last thing Amherst needs is a panicking real-estate market. Nobody likes uncertianty.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    WHo decids what is a stress crack versus poor workmanship?

When I was house shopping, my wife and I looked at a home in Amherst. We couldn't believe how little they were asking for a large split level with an in-law apartment, and about a 100x500 lot. We were sold on it... until we walked into the room that was noticably sloped towards one corner... and saw the cracks in the walls right in the center of the house... and the water damaged walls in the basement. Obviously, we didn't buy it. But there's definitely a difference between their problems and poor workmanship.

I guess I don't understand why their homeowner's policy wouldn't cover damages. Granted, they might have to wait until there was significant damage, but how is that different from any other damage due to nature?

Grants

If the people with sinking homes get grants to repair them, is that grant taxable?
    dono

Thread Information