Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student Loans

Student Loans

After reading an article in today’s Buffalo News about the collages in this area raising tuition rates again. I thought why should any collage have to worry about raising tuition’s?

The majority of collage students can get students loans that will cover the tuition cost. What a sweetheart deal those liberal union educators have when the government is guaranteeing their lifestyle through guaranted government loans. That may not have to be paid back.

If I worked for any collage that was dependent on government programs that gave tuition money to students. I would vote for those politicians that supports these student loans and I would never have to worry about money again.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

Most of the crap that they study in college (esp liberal arts schools) is worthless in a normal work environment. The exceptions are foreign languages, and a good command of the English language both oral, and composition. When is this nation going to wake up to this fact ? According to UN statistics, the United States is 27th in science and math. That is where (and why) we are now getting our lunch eaten by foreign imports. We have to import engineers to fill the demand because instead of engineers and scientists, we lave lawyers, bankers, psychologists, salesmen, advertising, poly-sci, and communication majors up the a**. I wonder how many engineers are down there in Niagara Square at the occupy Buffalo fiasco ?

The housing fiasco was just the 1st event. Next in line is the focus on institutions of higher learning.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    And why is college getting more expensive? What is changing from the year before? Is gas and electric going up ? what is causing the tuition increases?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    And why is college getting more expensive? What is changing from the year before? Is gas and electric going up ? what is causing the tuition increases?
    The price of anything is what somebody is willing to pay. Quite simply people are willing to pay. It's priced on percieved value not what actual costs are (private) institutions.

Tenure at a major college is not a chump change situation.

Consider what happens if the Obama student loan or what I call the "buy the vote of the student with cash" program goes through!

Obama student loan program: the basics
    Take this example: If Suzy Creamcheese gets into George Washington University and borrows from the government the requisite $212,000 to obtain an undergraduate degree, her repayment schedule will be based on what she earns. If Suzy opts to heed the president’s call for public service, and takes a job as a city social worker earning $25,000, her payments would be limited to $1,411 a year after the $10,890 of poverty-level income is subtracted from her total exposure.
    Twenty years at that rate would have taxpayers recoup only $28,220 of their $212,000 loan to Suzy.
    http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/9563

Obama's student loan debt-relief plan: Too good to be true?
    The plan, to be implemented by executive authority alone, allows some 1.6 million students to cap their loan payments at 10 percent of their discretionary income starting in 2012. It also forgives the balance of student loans after 20 years of payments. Current law allows students to limit loan payments to 15 percent of income, forgiving debt after 25 years of payments, though few students are aware of this option.
    http://news.yahoo.com/obamas-student...234242818.html

Some interesting reading from the CBO regarding subsidy rates (taxpayer bailout of student borrowing) and other mundane costs of the program (only for those that like to punish their mind with accounting detail):
    http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/110xx/doc...udentLoans.pdf

This blatant waste of the taxpayers money in order to buy votes has got to stop!!!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    The price of anything is what somebody is willing to pay. Quite simply people are willing to pay. It's priced on percieved value not what actual costs are (private) institutions.

Tenure at a major college is not a chump change situation.
    The ability to pay is made a lot easier by the granting of government supported student loans.
    These loans are a win win godsend for the collage staff.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan View Post
    Most of the crap that they study in college (esp liberal arts schools) is worthless in a normal work environment. The exceptions are foreign languages, and a good command of the English language both oral, and composition. When is this nation going to wake up to this fact ? According to UN statistics, the United States is 27th in science and math. That is where (and why) we are now getting our lunch eaten by foreign imports. We have to import engineers to fill the demand because instead of engineers and scientists, we lave lawyers, bankers, psychologists, salesmen, advertising, poly-sci, and communication majors up the a**. I wonder how many engineers are down there in Niagara Square at the occupy Buffalo fiasco ?

The housing fiasco was just the 1st event. Next in line is the focus on institutions of higher learning.
    You are 100 percent correct!!

Universities could give a rat's behind on job placement,,, just fill the damn curriculum.

At the very least college should teach analytical problem solving and critical thinking. Many Americans are lazy and take all the easy courses.. look at the population of most engineering programs. Then again I know a lot of attorneys that couldn't wire an outlet or change a tire.

So its another welfare program...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    So its another welfare program...
    This is simply a program to buy votes for the 2012 election, plain and simple! People need to wake up and claim responsibility for their actions!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    This is simply a program to buy votes for the 2012 election, plain and simple! People need to wake up and claim responsibility for their actions!
    Exactly ! Hopefully at least half of these students are not so stupid to recognize that they are being bought. At least I remain hopeful. If I was a student right now I would say "wow, thank you" as I went to vote against emporer Obummer next year.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    i posted this in the OWS thread earlier, but it's because the student loans are essentially free money to the colleges. Tuitions are higher than the actual cost to educate. the extra $$ being paid (much of it funded by loans) is being transfered (yes wealth transfer) going to pay for the financial aid for special interest groups. It's all done via the Dept of Education which functions as a vehicle for wealth transfer and redistributions via the Financial aid application form, FAFSA, which is based on line items on tax returns. Unsuspecting parents and students are taking out loans, and unwittingly going into debt to helpf fund not just their own kid's education,, but also to subsidize the education of special interest groups. The item below is a cut/past from a yahoo news article that was posted today.

Higher Costs, More Aid

You'd think with the struggling economy that private schools would have priced themselves out of the market. In fact, enrollment at these schools is rising, and not just among the affluent. Private colleges are attracting more low-income students, students who are the first in their family to attend college and students of color, says David Warren, of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU). Meanwhile, sticker prices keep rising, by an annual average of about 4.5%. The price tag at private institutions currently runs an average of about $37,000; many colleges blew past the $50,000 mark several years ago.

Still, "the important thing is to not obsess on posted tuition, because there is so much financial aid out there," says Ronald Ehrenberg, director of the Cornell Higher Education Research Institute. That allows more students — including low-income students — to attend. The need-based aid packages in our list generally rose in lockstep with rising prices. At Princeton, average aid knocks the total cost from $50,269 a year to less than $16,000, a bargain by any definition. At Pomona, aid reduces the $54,010 sticker price to less than $20,000.

-------------------------------------

the "so much financial aid out there" is a veiled reference to the deep well of free money that the colleges have access to by A) raising tuitions, so B) families borrow more $$ (or pay cash), so the colleges can C) use the money to fund "scholarships" and provide financial aid for the special target groups mentioned above.

The OWS people should be yelling and screaming outside the Dept of Education..they're the culprits.

In the end, the student will be left holding the bag and they will have that Berry dude to thank. Big business already said college student can’t even write, or speak to people but they sure know how to text well; so much for college people the dumbest population in the last ten years.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan View Post
    I wonder how many engineers are down there in Niagara Square at the occupy Buffalo fiasco ?
    None. We're all working.

My mechanical engineering and computer science degrees and my wife's masters in teaching netted us a total of 20k in school loans. UB is cheap.

The whole college experience was really glorified in the Hollywood movies starting in the early 20th century shows an elite class having fun at frat parties, football games, stud jocks, cheerleaders, and homecoming dances. The 'fun' aspects were glorified wheras the 'nerdy', studious students were made out to be outcasts who eventually came to the rescue.

Not much has changed in the interim. Subjects such as history, political science, communications, psychology, are called soft science for a reason. These people were out partying throughout the semester, while math and engineering students were cracking the books 'till the wee hours of the morning. Sure math, and especially college level math (not remedial) really exhausts the brain cells. Yet look around any science and engineering class at any university and you will see that it is dominated by either 2nd generation Americans or foreign students, primarily from the middle and far east. Those students are not afraid to really work. Contrast this with the average 'entitled' American student which gets by with maybe 2 hours of homework per night.

Look at the US Dept of Labor stats and it is apparent that the compensation for most (not all) engineering fields is significantly higher than the average for all fields (except MDs). The time to repay an student loan for say, engineering, is a lot less than say, a poly-sci major, who will probably wind up working in the public sector (if he can get a job) or more likely, as a checker at Wegmans, or as a tent resident in Niagara Square.

I argue that most of these students that are part of the occupy movement feel entitled, and they are now realizing that they were sold a bill of goods.

Amen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information