Thread: Is there a statute of limitations for collecting on a bill?

Is there a statute of limitations for collecting on a bill?

I just received a first bill from a doctor's visit that dates back to 2007. I shows that I paid my co-pay but now they want more money. I'm not trying to get out of paying my debts, but this visit was in 2007 and now they send the bill? Can they do that?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

It sounds like there may have been a problem with the health insurer payment, maybe some of it was retracted after utilization review? I would start by talking to the health insurance company and get as many details as possible. Ask also for a copy of the 2007 Evidence of Coverage so you can read what your contract said about such incidences. You can go through their internal appeal process and, if you lose, depending on the type of health plan you had at the time, appeal it to the next level. At the same time, I would contact the NYS Dept of Health and ask your statute of limitations questions. I'm under the impression that 2007 billing is a bit late, but it could also depend on the whys and wherefores. Good luck.

Thread Information