Thread: Why did the Budget increase $10 million dollars over the last few years?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Why did the Budget increase $10 million dollars over the last few years?

res, yes the budget has increased over $10 million in the last 4 years and the population in chtwga is steadily declining. check out the below website
    $10,000,000... that's a lot of dollars...

Exactly how much is $10,000,000 dollars..

Lets see...Seeing it's Cheektowaga....

Kiszka is an old favorite item of Poland.

Buffalo Foods

Kiszka
    $4.99 lb

$10,000,000 / $4.99 = 2,004,008 pounds of sausage! That's a lot of sausage...

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Oh I have to

How many pink Flamingos will $10,000,000 buy?

12 birds for $102.55

$10,000,000 / $102.55 / doz = 97,513 dozen = 1,170,160 Pink Flamingos.

Plus shipping...

We need to act fast!!

Pink flamingo fading to black
    Leominster maker of lawn icon to close Nov. 1

LEOMINSTER — The iconic pink flamingo, which has adorned millions of American lawns since 1957, may go the way of the dodo, a victim of rising plastic resin and energy prices.

Dennis L. Plante, president of Union Products Inc., which manufactured the famous plastic birds, said the Lancaster Street injection molding firm will close its doors as of Nov. 1.

“The plant’s pink flamingo will be an endangered species,” he said.

Union Products ceased manufacturing on June 9, laying off 30 full-time production workers and some temporary employees, he said.

There are still employees taking care of getting back orders out, he said.

“Little by little, there will be less and less,” he said. “It’s mainly sales and shipping people. We’re shipping the inventory that I have.”

Read the full story

It's crazy stuff like putting a bocce court in for a few residents

Town opens first bocce court

Joe Carlino rolls the first ball in the new bocce court in Stiglmeier Park during Monday’s dedication ceremony. Carlino had been asking town officials for four years to install the court. Joe Carlino’s first toss of the bocce ball didn’t land closest to the jack, but he’s sure to get plenty of practice in the coming years.

Carlino was the driving force behind the Town of Cheektowaga constructing a new bocce court in Stiglmeier Park. As he put it, he begged for four years, before the town finally agreed.

That bocce court is now open following Monday’s dedication ceremony.

“I’m very proud of it,” Carlino said of his role in securing the court which sits next to diamond No. 1 near the Losson Road entrance to the park.

Because of his persistence in asking the Town Board and the Parks Department, Carlino partook in the ceremonial “first ball” on Monday. He rolled against Supervisor Mary Holtz, Councilman James Rogowski and General Crew Chief John Jaroszewski.

Carlino, who lives near Stiglmeier Park and walks through it every morning with his friends, got the idea for the bocce court by playing it during his winters in Florida.

“I spend a lot of time in Florida, and over there I see them playing all the time,” he said. “But that’s in the winter. In the summer, we don’t have nothing over here. That’s why I went to the office and begged many times. Finally, they said, ‘You got it.’ So here we are.”

Rogowski said he would take a look at the feasibility and said he was happy to work on fulfilling Carlino’s wish.

“He’s been asking for four years, and he’s been patient,” Rogowski said. “I told him if we could find a way to get it done, we would get it done. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but I always like to help people when I can. If we can get something in the park to make it a better atmosphere for people that come here to play games, we’ll do it.”

Jaroszewski said the project cost about $12,000 and was done in conjunction with improving the drainage on the baseball diamond. Construction on the 76-foot by 13-foot court lasted about six weeks.

Town employees did all the work over four weeks.

This the first and only bocce court in the town. There are no plans to build another one, but Rogowski said the town is open to adding more in the future.

“I think it’s the start of many new amenities we’re going to do to build better parks,” Rogowski said.

Residents will have to supply their own bocce balls to play, but the court is available any time the park is open.

“It’s a very relaxing, friendly game,” Carlino said. “It don’t cost you nothing, and ladies and men can play it. This isn’t just for the men.”

Return to top

THIS WEEKS CHEEKTOWAGA BEE:

Ted Morton, the Republican candidate for town supervisor, has spent a considerable amount of time during his campaign blasting Max and the Sanitation Department, which he claims is a haven for wasteful spending.

“We can save at least $5 million off the current budget if the Sanitation Department was run properly,” Morton said during a debate with Supervisor Mary Holtz.

Very often, Morton has drawn a comparison between Cheektowaga and Amherst. Cheektowaga, he pointed out, has a 40 percent smaller population but spends three times as much on sanitation.

Max scoffed at that notion, saying his department’s $9 million budget is fiscally responsible. He also said comparing Cheektowaga to Amherst is unfair, since Amherst has entirely privatized garbage collection.
    Max then pointed out the fixed costs in the budget, including $960,000 for recycling, $485,000 for the central garage and $1.6 million for landfill.

“That comes to $3 million of the $9 million budget,” he said. “These are fixed costs. You’re not getting out of that. The remaining $6 million are fixed costs for personnel.”

Holtz said the town currently doesn’t have any plans to privatize garbage collection, as it did with recycling in 2003, because the union would never agree to it.“The union would never negotiate with us if we tried to eliminate an entire department,” she said. “It won’t work. There are too many employees there, and the union is protecting their interests.”

The number of employees in the Sanitation Department has been another sticking point for Republicans. They have specifically called out the Town Board for allowing a clause in the union contract to dictate a minimum number of employees.

Max countered by saying that contract clause has been intact for decades and that the unions have no reason to negotiate it out.

WHO IS RUNNING CHEEKTOWAGA?????

$10,000,000 increase in spending in 6 years VS. a $1,000,000 DECREASE in spending in Hamburg.....AND Hamburg is growing. They get away with the "average increase" baloney because of 1000's of REASSESSMENTS each year. The difference.....LEADERSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I am not an expert on bocce courts but...

Let see... $10,000,000....can buy.....

Building the 'iBocce Court'

Total Cost:
    Wood, stakes, brackets $210
    Lawn Roller $80
    Mansonry Sand $160
    Cement Rake $50
    Utility Sand $35
    100ft Hose $15
    Crushed Oyster Shells $45
    Final: $595 (year 2003 dollars)

We'll figure in inflation and say $795 in 2011 dollars..

$10,000,000 / $795 = 12,587 Bocce Courts if you shop it out...

OR

We let the current crop of people who run our town do it thier way...

Jaroszewski said the project cost about $12,000 and was done in conjunction with improving the drainage on the baseball diamond. Construction on the 76-foot by 13-foot court lasted about six weeks.

$10,000,000 / $12,000 = 833 Bocce Courts

With new leadership we can deliver 15 times more Bocce Courts.

We forgot about balls..

I bet you can buy a lot of balls with $10,000,000 of budget increases over the last 5 years.

Lets see...

EPCO 114mm Personalized Tournament Bocce Set

Item# PII001
    Starting Price: $179.99

$10,000,000 / $179.99 = 55,558 sets with 9 balls = 500,022 balls.. That is a lot of balls.

So if the Union doesnt agree to it we will just keep the Dept no matter what the cost. 6 mill fixed cost for personal
    Geez give me a break

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Holtz said the town currently doesn’t have any plans to privatize garbage collection, as it did with recycling in 2003, because the union would never agree to it.“The union would never negotiate with us if we tried to eliminate an entire department,” she said. “It won’t work. There are too many employees there, and the union is protecting their interests.”
    You are supposed to be protecting our interests... the entire towns interests..

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Governor Cuomo Launches SAGE Commission Web Site for Public to Submit Ideas on How to Make Government More Efficient

by Cuomo

Governor Cuomo today announced the launch of the Spending and Government Efficiency (SAGE) Commission's Web site to invite the public's participation in the process of modernizing and right-sizing state government, improving performance, increasing accountability and saving taxpayers' money.

The Web site, www.governor.ny.gov/sage, allows the public to suggest ways to improve the efficiency and quality of government services. The submissions will be an integral component to the reform process. The site will also include listings of the SAGE Commission's public meetings and materials from the Commission's first meeting on April 25.

"As I have said repeatedly, right-sizing government is essential to get the state back on the right track, but we can’t do it alone ," Governor Cuomo said. "The future success of New York requires that we consolidate the sprawl of state entities, find efficiencies, and further improve the state's operations. As this is the people's government, the public must have a say in how it operates."

The Commission includes representatives from the private sector, labor and government. The Commission is co-Chaired by Antonio M. Perez, Chairman and C.E.O of Eastman Kodak Company and Paul Francis, the Director of Agency Redesign and Efficiency.

The SAGE Commission is conducting a comprehensive review of state government including its structures, operations and processes with the ultimate goal of saving taxpayers' money, increasing accountability and improving the delivery of government services. The Commission's final recommendations to the Governor will be delivered by June 1, 2012. Periodic progress reports will be delivered on an ongoing basis.

Contact Information:
    Governor's Press Office
    NYC Press Office: 212.681.4640
    Albany Press Office: 518.474.8418
    press.office@exec.ny.gov
    Albany, NY (May 13, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    $10,000,000 / $12,000 = 833 Bocce Courts

With new leadership we can deliver 15 times more Bocce Courts.

$10,000,000 / $179.99 = 55,558 sets with 9 balls = 500,022 balls.. That is a lot of balls.
    and let us not forget we need to maintain those bocce courts too. a bocce court in stiglemeier park is something we just can't live without

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Town employees did all the work over four weeks.
    So it took them 4 weeks and $12,000 to build versus the $595 Building the 'iBocce Court' system?

I was under a time constraint due to wanting to build it before my oldest daughter's high school graduation. So I got help from a contractor. I knew what I wanted and bought all of the materials myself before hand. My son and I prepared the area before they arrived. That was the hardest work as it was all dead grass and bark from a previous play structure I built for my children 10 years ago. The court is only roughly 40 x 61/2 feet. Which is extremely small but I have to say that all our friends love it and think our house is definitely the place to party! It took the contractor 2 days to finish it. We have 4 to 5 inches of gravel with another 2 inches of gold fines. Then I added the final 1/2 inch of oyster shell on top. We did lay out a series of pipes that led to a french drain so the water wouldn't build up. It's been working really well. I have to tell your readers to go for it. It's not hard to build and gives us and our friends so much pleasure. It's definitely worth the effort!

Mike

Max scoffed at that notion, saying his department’s $9 million budget is fiscally responsible. He also said comparing Cheektowaga to Amherst is unfair, since Amherst has entirely privatized garbage collection. Max then pointed out the fixed costs in the budget, including $960,000 for recycling, $485,000 for the central garage and $1.6 million for landfill.

“That comes to $3 million of the $9 million budget,” he said. “These are fixed costs. You’re not getting out of that. The remaining $6 million are fixed costs for personnel.”

“ I like to know what are those personal fixed cost…what is it medical payments, cell phones, computers, a car, kickbacks just what are those fixed personal cost. When politicians say fixed personal cost…watch out there is a trick in the bag somewhere.”
    Riven37

Holtz said the town currently doesn’t have any plans to privatize garbage collection, as it did with recycling in 2003, because the union would never agree to it. “The union would never negotiate with us if we tried to eliminate an entire department,” she said. “It won’t work. There are too many employees there, and the union is protecting their interests.”

“ It sounds like the Union is running Cheektowaga and not Mary Holtz…you know what I say…BUST the union ! Then maybe, just maybe the town will be better off. “
    Riven37

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Morton View Post
    THIS WEEKS CHEEKTOWAGA BEE:

Ted Morton, the Republican candidate for town supervisor, has spent a considerable amount of time during his campaign blasting Max and the Sanitation Department, which he claims is a haven for wasteful spending.

“We can save at least $5 million off the current budget if the Sanitation Department was run properly,” Morton said during a debate with Supervisor Mary Holtz.

Very often, Morton has drawn a comparison between Cheektowaga and Amherst. Cheektowaga, he pointed out, has a 40 percent smaller population but spends three times as much on sanitation.

Max scoffed at that notion, saying his department’s $9 million budget is fiscally responsible. He also said comparing Cheektowaga to Amherst is unfair, since Amherst has entirely privatized garbage collection.
    Max then pointed out the fixed costs in the budget, including $960,000 for recycling, $485,000 for the central garage and $1.6 million for landfill.

The number of employees in the Sanitation Department has been another sticking point for Republicans. They have specifically called out the Town Board for allowing a clause in the union contract to dictate a minimum number of employees.

Max countered by saying that contract clause has been intact for decades and that the unions have no reason to negotiate it out.

WHO IS RUNNING CHEEKTOWAGA?????
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    “ It sounds like the Union is running Cheektowaga and not Mary Holtz…you know what I say…BUST the union ! Then maybe, just maybe the town will be better off. “
    Riven37
    Then go pick up your sign.

You have a lawn sign fetish, you should get that taken care of before it gets out of hand.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information