Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Amherst adds a 5% tax to your tv viewing pleasure

  1. #1
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    65,073

    Amherst adds a 5% tax to your tv viewing pleasure

    The Town of Amherst Signed a 15 year Agreement with Verizon.

    Time Warner TV cable service, as early as this August, will have competition from Verizon Communication for cable TV service. Some people in Amherst will be able to buy this service as early as August.
    The Village of Williamsville will be the only area which will not be wired to receive Verizon cable within 5 years. The rest of Amherst will be connect in two to five years.
    The Town of Amherst will receive 5% of Verizon’s gross cable revenue. The 75 buildings owned by the town will get free cable. No nursing home or hospitals will receive any free benefits.
    There will not be extra benefits for the aged. The service and price between the two companies will be compatable. Verizon will not tape the Town meetings for broadcast.

    Why is Amherst taxing the tv viewers of Amherst 5% ?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    The Town of Amherst Signed a 15 year Agreement with Verizon.




    Why is Amherst taxing the tv viewers of Amherst 5% ?
    I wouldn’t call it a tax. I would call it Verizon buying the right with some sweet kickbacks.

  3. #3
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    65,073
    Quote Originally Posted by GG716
    I wouldn’t call it a tax. I would call it Verizon buying the right with some sweet kickbacks.
    It's a tax no matter how you want to twist it. It's a fee added to the cost of doing business for verizon.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    It's a tax no matter how you want to twist it. It's a fee added to the cost of doing business for verizon.
    At least it's not a FORCED tax. Only a tax if the citizens choose to do business with Verizon.

  5. #5
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    65,073
    Quote Originally Posted by GG716
    At least it's not a FORCED tax. Only a tax if the citizens choose to do business with Verizon.
    But what about Verizon? It's a business. WHy should it be taxed to do it's business in Amherst?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,075
    Boo-hoo, don't want to pay the "tax"? Don't do business with verizon. That's how the market works, right? Am I right or not?

  7. #7
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    65,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie
    Boo-hoo, don't want to pay the "tax"? Don't do business with verizon. That's how the market works, right? Am I right or not?
    Jus another burden to Verizon.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    But what about Verizon? It's a business. WHy should it be taxed to do it's business in Amherst?
    Verizon agreed to this w/o protest correct?
    What is this 5% concidered to the Town Donation, surcharge, fee, tax?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Williamsville, N.Y.
    Posts
    1,596

    Why the tax

    Because they can - that's why!
    dono

  10. #10
    Member Add It Up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Amherst
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by GG716
    Verizon agreed to this w/o protest correct?
    What is this 5% concidered to the Town Donation, surcharge, fee, tax?

    The town also gets services for town owned buildings/centers as well as 5% strict revenue which I imagine goes into the general fund for spending at the will of the town board. The cost to verizon will reasonably be made up by consumers, but we will still get the services to the town faciities which many of us use.

  11. #11
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    65,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvoakley
    Because they can - that's why!
    Isn't it enough that they generate taxes on revenue and property taxes?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvoakley
    Because they can - that's why!
    Can you hear me, can you hear me now.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    954
    I may be able to comprehend some of your issues in regard to the 5 % surcharge, but it is commonplace throughout the country for governmental agencies to obtain some $$ from a cable vendor outside of an outright franchise fee. Regardless of this issue, with Time Warner's contract with the town, Senior Citizens received free basic cable service, so who do you think paid for that?

  14. #14
    Unregistered Enough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,544
    http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/se...&submit=Submit

    Donor occupation: Verizon

    Donor State: NY

    785 records found in 1.341 seconds.
    Total for this search: $499,644

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by forreason
    I may be able to comprehend some of your issues in regard to the 5 % surcharge, but it is commonplace throughout the country for governmental agencies to obtain some $$ from a cable vendor outside of an outright franchise fee. Regardless of this issue, with Time Warner's contract with the town, Senior Citizens received free basic cable service, so who do you think paid for that?

    It is just a legal form of a kickback. If an individual member or the TS would have done this, he would be looking at jail time, however, if a Municipality does it, well, hurrah!!!
    "In valor there is hope" -Tacitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Amherst Advised to Tighten Controls
    By eyeswideopen in forum Amherst, Clarence and Williamsville
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: June 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM
  2. Rediscover Amherst St Xi
    By joe d. in forum Events in WNY
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
  3. 36 suspects arrested in searches in Clarence, Amherst & Niagara County
    By steven in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 31st, 2008, 06:11 PM
  4. Amherst Beware! Town Board Members, serve the people!
    By The Fairways Group in forum Amherst, Clarence and Williamsville
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •