Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 17.2% Public Employee raises....

Exclamation 17.2% Public Employee raises....

Seems that the City of Buffalo negotiated a raise for the white collar union workers through 2010 @ 17.2% , I've been away , but has someone , somewhere in this MB already started posting on this "touchy" issue ? Can't seem to find anything posted ?
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

I think I read that they hadn't had a raise in five years. So if the contract goes to 2010 that works out to less than 3% a year. Given the fact that cost saving concessions were negotiated as well, it sounds reasonable to me.

OT-Win, did I read you were union member? I can't remember.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Quote Originally Posted by Bannister
    I think I read that they hadn't had a raise in five years. So if the contract goes to 2010 that works out to less than 3% a year. Given the fact that cost saving concessions were negotiated as well, it sounds reasonable to me.

OT-Win, did I read you were union member? I can't remember.
    yep , but not that union......but I'll bet most still would vote against ANY raises for any municipal employees in general............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Quote Originally Posted by winfield31
    but I'll bet most still would vote against ANY raises for any municipal employees in general............
    I've noticed that too.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

I've noticed that too.
    just surprized no threads about the raises yet...........a little eerie.............hmmmmmmmmmm

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Win,
    You have to have the "entire" package before you can raise your disagreement. There were give backs that are major cost savings that far out weigh the percentage wage increase. Taxpayers should be happy that major moves were made. Now time will tell if those cost savings will be passed on to the taxpayers. The union and its members can only do so much, if you know what I mean.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley
    Win,
    You have to have the "entire" package before you can raise your disagreement. There were give backs that are major cost savings that far out weigh the percentage wage increase. Taxpayers should be happy that major moves were made. Now time will tell if those cost savings will be passed on to the taxpayers. The union and its members can only do so much, if you know what I mean.
    Tell me just 3 of the give backs.

I think I read that they hadn't had a raise in five years.
    Someone please show us where it is mandatory to receive a raise every year.
    Then show us how many companies give annual raises.
    Then show us the percentage that those companies represent of the total employed population and the percentage of that population that receive raises every year.

What you will find, if you have the guts to look, is that most Americans do not receive annual raises and that most companies in the US are small business. Small businesses that are taxed and regulated to near death. Having to cut back on things such as health care and annual raises just to keep up with government demands for more money.

When government union employees bitch they don't get a raise is the reason most people hate those unions. You have no realistic view of what the taxpayer is actually going through in their own employment. Add to that the fact that they can't take money out of peoples pocket by force to provide a raise.

The governments of NYS and WNY have done such a wonderful job that we keep loosing employers and families to more productive areas of the country.

Keep up the good work.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by LHardy
    Someone please show us where it is mandatory to receive a raise every year.
    Then show us how many companies give annual raises.
    Then show us the percentage that those companies represent of the total employed population and the percentage of that population that receive raises every year.

What you will find, if you have the guts to look, is that most Americans do not receive annual raises and that most companies in the US are small business. Small businesses that are taxed and regulated to near death. Having to cut back on things such as health care and annual raises just to keep up with government demands for more money.

When government union employees bitch they don't get a raise is the reason most people hate those unions. You have no realistic view of what the taxpayer is actually going through in their own employment. Add to that the fact that they can't take money out of peoples pocket by force to provide a raise.

The governments of NYS and WNY have done such a wonderful job that we keep loosing employers and families to more productive areas of the country.

Keep up the good work.
    Go,,,Hardy,

Two things for y'all
    Consolidate from the stupidity we have now..ie. towns, villages, police etc. etc. and maybe who is left can get raises, the others go somewhere else. Tell me why......more than one health insurance carrier is needed,, not that the 10 mil can help the cities dismal grad rate....but why..does not compute.

and because we negotiated it does not make any sense...not logical...
    then you can tell both control boards as well.

Lower the freakin taxes to match other areas...if you can't find out why they do it better....

cept that you really don't wan't to know..and you like having the public work for you.

Otherwise enjoy the pictures your grandkids and kids email you from out of state...it gets lonely in the old folks home sittin yer own soil....juniors' in North Carolina

How bout this..........nobody gets raises, not anybody, not politicians, workers, judges, not anybody who makes their living from the govt. until we are no longer the #1 highest taxed state in the nation, do not have control boards do not have people fleeing, consolidate...etc etc etc.

You can bet that poorly performing organizations do not operate like that...or they would be out of business. The problem is that compensation is not tied to results in many cases...save for what there is no control over.This should not occur on planet earth, and in fact doesn't in some areas.

Hows that for a suggestion? have the pressure flow up the line.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Tell me just 3 of the give backs.
    1) work rule changes that will cut down on overtime and other costs
    2) Salary schedule modifications for current employees and even more modifications for new hires.
    3) Health Insurance changes, both the plan and the contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us
    How bout this..........nobody gets raises, not anybody, not politicians, workers, judges, not anybody who makes their living from the govt. until we are no longer the #1 highest taxed state in the nation, do not have control boards do not have people fleeing, consolidate...etc etc etc.

You can bet that poorly performing organizations do not operate like that...or they would be out of business. The problem is that compensation is not tied to results in many cases...save for what there is no control over.This should not occur on planet earth, and in fact doesn't in some areas.

Hows that for a suggestion? have the pressure flow up the line.
    Why does the pressure have to flow up the line. That's why there are unions, because the workers are the ones that always take the hit first. Why not start at the top and have the pressure flow down the line?

2) Salary schedule modifications for current employees and even more modifications for new hires.
    Also, heard they (union) conceded on one personal day, extended out their pay from a 5 step to a 7 step, did not seek to get "back pay" from 2004 and are settling /dropping their retroactive back pay lawsuit (which the won).

In order to see any benefit to taxpayers you'd have to know where they started from. Byron is going to make it look like it was a major win and the unions are going to say the got a good deal. Once the dust settles, we can see what really happened.

Why is it that the good news for unions are always clear, 17.2% is a pretty specific number, yet the "givebacks" if you want to call them that are vague.

Just what are the work rule changes? How much OT will be cut down? What is the OT now?

Just what are the schedule modifications? What is "even more" for future workers?

Just what are the Insurance changes? How much of an increase in contributions are coming from workers and how much is expected in plan changes?

There is a reason why these details are NOT released. If you really expect the public to take Bubby Brown at his word....well I just do not know what to say.

I was told the union (650) was having an "informational" meeting today after work to discuss the whole contract , the raises , give-backs , etc. No one except the negotiating & administration knows everything until that meeting is held ? The Buffalo News printed heresay/rumors so far , no concrete facts , plus even if the union & the administration agree , the contract must go through the "Control Board"...........& the Common Council.........

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information