Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dissolve the Village

Dissolve the Village

Should the citizens call for the dissolution of the Village of Depew? Depew is shared by both the Town of Lancaster and the Town of Cheektowaga. I pay taxes to the Village of Depew and the Town of Cheektowaga. I receive no services from Cheektowaga. I know that my taxes will probably not be cut in half by the dissolution of the Village, but I believe that it would cut down on the layers of Government and would surely save on costs.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

60 views and no one dares to say boo? I'll bite.
    I think Depew should be allowed to stand on it's own. So the village went bankrupt 150-ish years ago, is that a valid reason for Lancaster and Cheektowaga, especially Cheektowaga, to hold the citizens of Depew financially hostage? My God, I can file for bankruptcy and only be penalized for seven years. I think 150-ish is a little excessive. Let us go and let us live.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Your confusing me

For two guys that play together, your posts are confusing.

I totally agree with Mikenold that the Village of Depew should be abolished. Such abolishment would mean that the towns of Lancaster and Cheektowaga would have to respectfully take over their areas of responsibility.

The villages served their initial intent and function and do not have new development revenues coming in to sustain them. I would like to see some of the village board members run for town board positions. The villages would have more say in how the town is developing and how that develpment is impacting them.

Mesue: What do you mean when you say "Depew should be allowed to stand on its own?" If you are implying Depew should get rid of the towns and become a municipality on its own, it doesn't work that way.

Depew has been getting screwed over by Cheektowaga for years, especially with police - handing the town $3 million a year and getting back $300,000 for police protection.

Depew has had numerous board members who went to serve on Cheektowaga boards and they all did nothing to bring tax relief to Depew.

Gaughan is working to reduce the size of the West Seneca Town Board. The Villages of Depew and Lancaster have already put the process in motion. They should take another step forward and abolish both boards.

In doing so, it would also rid the villages of planning and zoning board members; speaking of which, the town of Lancaster should reduce the size of their planning and zoning boards; seven appointed minions of the Lancaster Democratic Party.

I think the Village of Sloan should be disolved in the same fashion its clerk records were disolved.

What's the history of Depew? How did one village end up being divided between two different towns?

Georgia L Schlager

I don't know if any Lancaster taxpayer would want downtown Depew to suddenly be part of their town.

I never understood the concept of a village within a town.When my nephew started looking for a house I told him to stay away from Depew and Sloan because the taxes are much higher.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Why not ?

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    I don't know if any Lancaster taxpayer would want downtown Depew to suddenly be part of their town.
    The Village of Depew is no better off than the Town of Lancaster having Bob Giza, Look at the record of the two of them and same old same old the residents and taxpayers getting screwed over and over.
    The Village of Lancaster has been screwed when they mergered their police Dept. and the Town board is laughing all the way to the bank for taxes from the Village for less protection and personal service they were getting for years. The Town of Lancaster board went a head and purchased the coldcraft building and that was going to be the central police station and the Village of Lancaster fathers didn't have the BALLS to question the Giza idiots about it and the Village of Lancaster lose their force, the Village of Depew I hope would not be stupid to get screwed buy Giza and jump on board because Giza needs $5 million or more to get a bearbone police station and Giza thinks that Depew is in the crosshairs to pay for that. Giza and the board goofs need Depew, Depew doesn't need Lancaster and if Lancaster and Cheektowaga would have allow Depew to seperate 20 years age this point would not be debated.

It would be no different than the end of Garfield.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by pudge
    Mesue: What do you mean when you say "Depew should be allowed to stand on its own?" If you are implying Depew should get rid of the towns and become a municipality on its own, it doesn't work that way.

Depew has been getting screwed over by Cheektowaga for years, especially with police - handing the town $3 million a year and getting back $300,000 for police protection.

Depew has had numerous board members who went to serve on Cheektowaga boards and they all did nothing to bring tax relief to Depew.

Exactly my point. If Depew isn't going to be dissolved, then it should be allowed to stand as it's own entity. All, or nothing. This in between stuff is too expensive for the taxpayer and is serving no one's best interests but those that work for Lancaster, Cheektowaga and Depew.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    Where's Garfield? By Top's somewhere? Is it bad over there?

Quote Originally Posted by gorja
    What's the history of Depew? How did one village end up being divided between two different towns?
    http://www.villageofdepew.org/index_files/history.htm
    ... The Depew Improvement Company went bankrupt in 1902. The Equitable Assurance Company purchased the companies remaining assets for $50,000, acquiring 280 lots in Cheektowaga and 642 lots, 124 parcels and 259 acres in Lancaster ...
    It wasn't 150 years ago that Depew went bankrupt, it was 106 years ago. I'm very sorry for the misinformation.

Where's Garfield? By Top's somewhere? Is it bad over there?
    Off Aurora near Broadway.

Originally posted by Mesue:
    http://www.villageofdepew.org/index_files/history.htm

Quote:
    ... The Depew Improvement Company went bankrupt in 1902. The Equitable Assurance Company purchased the companies remaining assets for $50,000, acquiring 280 lots in Cheektowaga and 642 lots, 124 parcels and 259 acres in Lancaster ...

It wasn't 150 years ago that Depew went bankrupt, it was 106 years ago. I'm very sorry for the misinformation.
    Thanks for the link and the info.

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by mesue:
    Is this the end of Garfield?

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information