Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plans to rent Wright-designed home scapped amid neighborhood opposition

Unregistered

Plans to rent Wright-designed home scapped amid neighborhood opposition

Plans to rent Wright-designed home scapped amid neighborhood opposition

by Sharon Linstedt -- News Staff Reporter

Updated: 05/22/08 11:37 AM

Plans to turn a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed home in North Buffalo into a guest house have been shelved due to neighborhood opposition.
    Russell Maxwell, owner of the Wright-designed home at 57 Tillinghast Place, has withdrawn a zoning variance request filed with the city's Zoning Board of Appeals to rent out the Walter V. Davidson house to overnight guests. The request was to be aired at Wednesday's zoning panel session.
    Maxwell has also shut down his Web site marketing the unique overnight stay opportunity and notified the Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau to remove information about the house from its www.wrightnowinbuffalo.com Web site.
    Maxwell could not be reached to comment, but sources familiar with the situation said the abrupt change in his highly-publicized plans is tied to mounting opposition to a commercial use in the quiet residential neighborhood.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/352905.html

Geez, what's the matter with these people?

I haven't heard of this before. So I wonder what the opposition is all about.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald
    Geez, what's the matter with these people?

I haven't heard of this before. So I wonder what the opposition is all about.
    I suppose they just don't want their neighbor running a hotel out of his house.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    I suppose they just don't want their neighbor running a hotel out of his house.
    No one is talking about renting out rooms at the Holiday Inn to just anyone. He wants to rent out a historical house to at most 6 people a night. He could have a bunch of collage party kids living in the house and they would have no say. But no they are against someone who values the great architecture in the community and wants to open his doors so others can experience it.

This is a sad story. The complaints are laughable. Traffic problems? Even if he filled all 6 slots at one time, the odds are that would be 3 couples. Max 3 cars. That seems to be a well to do neighborhood. It's not uncommon for well to do families to have more than one vehicle. Noise problems? Sure, we read all the time how those architectural buffs are rowdy, hard drinking, rabble rousing nuisances, always causing disturbances!
    Really, what a nice package to promote the niche market of architectural tourism- stay in a FLW home, and tour the gems we all seem so hell bent on protecting.
    No wonder Buffalo doesn't have hoardes of investors jumping all over themselves to bring back these historic gems. It's a VERY expensive proposition, especially when you have historic preservation agencies to please. The few tax breaks and low cost loans probably help in the expense, but you still end up with an over-priced, difficult to sell property that many can't afford to keep up.

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't want my next-door neighbors to suddenly open a Bed and Breakfast. I don't blame these people for fighting it.

This lesser known house by Wright is in a quiet neighborhood, not even close to commercial establishments. I don't see how the zoning would allow this business to be there, even if it's a small business.
    I don't know how the designation of being a historical structure impacts that. This is a smaller home in a middle class neighborhood, where a family with several children lived.

It is a difficult structure to buy or sell. At one time there were no closets, in the interest of beauty and lines that Wright so valued. That may have been changed. And there are some other anomalies. So whoever owns it has blessings and curses.

I am absolutely appalled by this.

That house was in a shambles before Maxwell bought it, took care of it, and make it something to be proud of again. its a WRIGHT house for God's sake, and you have someone who is once again doing GOOD in Buffalo only be be persecuted by neighbors who seem to complain just for the sake of complaining. it's not a hotel, its not a brothel, its at MOST a Bed and Breakfast. This isn't a party type house, its a retreat type house.

More barriers to growth and progress in the area.
    More ignorant people getting in the way of good people trying to make a difference.

Shame on that neighborhood.

ROFLOL
    The year 2015 two of Buffalos remaining fools Luey and George can be heard discussing.....

Duh, Hey Goerge! Whys' Buffalo a run down slum pit with no residence?
    Uh George?

More of the same Luey. More of the same. That's what kept happing George. Now no one is left to bring new ideas to town. They moved to more receptive areas of the country.
    Quick roll the hobo he's got beans! Nope just crack. Throw him back.

These are the same people who will vote Obama for change yet can't get out of their own way for change where they live.

TR thinks it's a hotel six or something. People of WNY are fools.

Unless you're the Mrs. Cravits of the neighborhood it is unlikely anyone would know the differance. How about those families with six teenage drivers and a car for each clogging the streets. No problem there. Yet don't give a guy an opportunity to earn a living or extra cash to pay the ever increasing taxes of this area.

Quote Originally Posted by LHardy
    TR thinks it's a hotel six or something. People of WNY are fools.
    I suppose if your next-door neighbors decided that, regardless of zoning, they wanted to open a Bed and Breakfast, you would be fine with that?

I suppose if your next-door neighbors decided that, regardless of zoning, they wanted to open a Bed and Breakfast, you would be fine with that?
    This is regardless of zoning. The zoning and plan was approved. They do hold public meetings for those who have concerns about zoning.
    They are listed in the town hall and local papers.

If I was concerned I would go but I'm also an entrepreneur who appreciates the best use of space for commercial enterprise. Especially small business who hire local people.

I would look for a way to capitalize on the new neighbor and if I didn't like the new neighbor, I'd sell or lease my property. I can be very mobile for money.

Quote Originally Posted by LHardy
    This is regardless of zoning. The zoning and plan was approved. They do hold public meetings for those who have concerns about zoning.
    They are listed in the town hall and local papers.
    Read the article. The zoning was not approved - he withdrew his application.

Russell Maxwell, owner of the Wright-designed home at 57 Tillinghast Place, has withdrawn a zoning variance request filed with the city's Zoning Board of Appeals to rent out the Walter V. Davidson house to overnight guests. The request was to be aired at Wednesday's zoning panel session.

Read the article. The zoning was not approved - he withdrew his application.
    I'm sorry your right. We have two projects being discussed about Buffalo's never ending obstruction and I was thinking about the driveway zoning.

Still, my thoughts are the same as far as the B$B is concerned. I'd rather have them as a neighbor versus 6 loud teenagers or college students living next to me.

Yes that is a dollar sign on purpose. New cash flow for the area is what we need and a B$B is a great idea for those who can do and are willing to do.

They are fun to visit and considering the architectural appeal you won't have crack heads renting a room for the night. They are sole proprietors and usually owner operated living on premises. Those who think this is a bad idea have no common sense. But hey this is WNY; there is no common sense, only obstructionism.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarThePirate
    I am absolutely appalled by this.

That house was in a shambles before Maxwell bought it, took care of it, and make it something to be proud of again. its a WRIGHT house for God's sake, and you have someone who is once again doing GOOD in Buffalo only be be persecuted by neighbors who seem to complain just for the sake of complaining. it's not a hotel, its not a brothel, its at MOST a Bed and Breakfast. This isn't a party type house, its a retreat type house.

More barriers to growth and progress in the area.
    More ignorant people getting in the way of good people trying to make a difference.

Shame on that neighborhood.
    Growth and progress? Money invested in a Wright House is never lost. It's a quiet neighborhood, for cryin out loud.

The problem with rezoning the Wright house is that the zoning goes with the building, so once the house is rezoned, the current or a future owner could then use the house for any purpose allowed under the business zoning. This is really what people are worried about, rather than the immediate use intended by the current owner.

Homes with SFD residential-only zoning tend to be worth more than the same exact homes in MFD or business zoned neighborhoods, and home buyers are willing to pay extra for the "quiet residential neighborhood". The people in this neighborhood bought their homes with the expectation that a neighbor would not be able to open a business next door or across the street. I agree with TheRising. If I was a neighbor, I'd oppose the re-zoning, too.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information