Thread: NY Gov. Paterson rejects Clinton's case for counting Florida, Michigan votes

Unregistered

NY Gov. Paterson rejects Clinton's case for counting Florida, Michigan votes

By Tom Precious - News Albany Bureau
    Updated: 05/22/08 3:30 PM

New York Gov. David Paterson says "we are starting to see a little desperation" on Sen. Hillary Clinton's part."

ALBANY — In a case of bad timing for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the top Democrat in New York is throwing cold water on her argument that primary votes in Florida and Michigan should be counted.
    Gov. David Paterson said "we are starting to see a little desperation on the part of a woman who I supported and I'll support until whatever time she makes a determination.''
    Paterson said he attended the Democratic National Committee meeting last year in which it was decided that Michigan and Florida contests would not be counted if those states moved up their primary dates to December. He said he opposed the move by the national party.
    "I didn't agree with it at the time. However, right now as we come to a reconciliation, candidates have to be careful in their zeal to try to win that in some respects they're not starting to trample on a process,'' Paterson said without naming Clinton. "Everybody agreed to the process at the time.''
    Paterson, in a call-in show this afternoon on an Albany public radio station, also questioned Clinton's demands that her performance in Florida and Michigan be counted as victories for her. In Michigan, he noted, the other Democrats, including Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, took their names off the ballot.
    Paterson, a superdelegate, said he does not see the DNC changing its position on the Florida and Michigan primaries.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/353008.html

Hopefully by the time of the next presidential election, the Democratic party will have totally modified its whole system of choosing a nominee.

The present one stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by speaker
    Hopefully by the time of the next presidential election, the Democratic party will have totally modified its whole system of choosing a nominee.

The present one stinks.

I disagree.

Whats happening in the democratic party right now is what should happen every election in both parties.

Too often candidates lose a few states and drop out, nullifying the voices of everyone else in the country.

Every presidentail primary in both parties should be like this every election IMO.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unregistered

McCain comments on the battle for the Democratic nomination

Last edited by Ragin; May 23rd, 2008 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    I disagree.

Whats happening in the democratic party right now is what should happen every election in both parties.

Too often candidates lose a few states and drop out, nullifying the voices of everyone else in the country.

Every presidentail primary in both parties should be like this every election IMO.
    Oh that I agree with, steven. I'm all for Clinton sticking there until June 4. Why not?

The process I'm talking about is using (ugh, I can't even articulate it) the long method of some delegates go to one and some to the other candidate, from the same state. And this newest thing of Florida starting too early and so now are disenfranchised. What is that???

I'm glad we had a long revealing nomination because truly it's a survival of the fittest and most qualified. As I say that I still think that Clinton is the most qualified, and lost because there's baggage attached to her name. But, c'est la vie and all that.

Again tho, I agree, all elections for the highest office should be so revealing and thorough.

Thread Information