Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Christian Critiques Obama

Black Christian Critiques Obama

Maybe We Can't
    by Cinque Henderson
    The black case for Obama-skepticism.
    Post Date Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Last week, I was sitting in a lobby chatting with the woman next to me. All of a sudden, she grabbed my hand as if she realized at that moment that I was black. She asked, do you go to church? I responded in the affirmative. Then she asked, do you go to a black church? I said yes. She said, I'm so glad that I met you. I have been really wanting to discuss this with someone. Is it true what they are saying about what goes on in the black church? I smiled and we had a lovely chat about pastors, Obama, civil rights and all things colored. She looked so relieved and really wanted to understand.

This story broke my heart. As the son of a Baptist minister, I can attest that Wright is and was an extreme aberration from how the overwhelming majority of black Christians worship. In church, black people hear about Peter, Paul, Mary, and how to get into heaven. How to forgive. How to love. Not how to vote.

But here was Barack suggesting that Wright's behavior was commonplace in black churches: "I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community." He generalized Wright's ridiculousness to distract from his individual choice to worship under a buffoon for two decades. I have a cousin who attended Wright's church for three weeks and then left, never to return. She had no interest in hearing his nonsense from the pulpit.

Barack obscured the true nature of black religious life because, to do otherwise, he would have had to answer the question, "Why are you a member of a church that is this racially divisive and such a sharp aberration to how the rest of black people worship?" When Barack beautifully suggested that the beliefs pronounced from the pulpit of Trinity in Chicago are not uncommon, he was feeding us garbage. But Barack needed to protect his reputation as a race-healer and unifier, so he told a lie about black religious life to help keep the glow of his own reputation alive. And now the evidence suggests that Barack didn't, in the end, break with Wright over his outrageous racial claims, but over his suggestion that Barack is just a politician.

That so many people have a stake in ignoring these real concerns is troubling. At least the Hillary supporters I know seem to be aware of her more unsavory traits: that she carries a knife with her that she could pull out at any minute. Not so with Obama's fans. It's nearly impossible to get them to admit any wrong in him. Given the choice, I prefer to side with the group that knows their candidate can be a jerk, rather than the group that believes their candidate is Jesus.

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.ht...a741c6ebb9&p=3
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

A black Christian critiqued a white guy?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    A black Christian critiqued a white guy?
    Obama is now presenting himself as white???????
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEDNY
    Obama is now presenting himself as white???????
    No, but he is none the less.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

No, but he is none the less.
    Care to explain that?

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Care to explain that?
    What is it that you don't understand? Barack Obama is a white guy.

Unregistered

Henderson vs Urban Black Churches

Apparently Mr Henderson did not grow in in an urban black church.

I learne much about black churches in Bflo when I exposed the non-residency of Masiello's Treasurer Marilyn Smith, who also happened to be the young 2nd wife of powerful Rev Bennett W (BW) Smith.

Having been treasurer of my HS class for 3 years soley because I was honest & good at math, I was apalled that Marilyn was neither. And I had just helped write the Mayor's housing platform in 1993 promising city residency for all city workers.

BW & Marilyn had moved to 292 Red Oak in 1986. But they were above the law. I was dragged into court where BW in clerical collar commited blatant perjury . . and Marilyn put on a dramatic performance about me jumping from behind bushes, causing her to spill her groceries in terror, where she never lived ("stalking & harassment" are charges for-all-seasons).

She fled the courtroom in tears. Later Marilyn was fired after the (2nd) discovery of millions of uncashed tax-checks under her desk.

The point is that In Bflo, powerful black ministers are VERY political. Politicians stumbled over each other to campaign (unconstitutionally) from BW's & other black minister's pulpits.

Chicago is also known for political corruption. I'm sure there are many black churches where "gospel" & politics are happily mixed.

What is it that you don't understand? Barack Obama is a white guy.
    His Kenyan relatives might have a little disagreement with that.

As for ILOVEDNY:
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    I don't think he's capable of unique or original thoughts. For him, this is just a place to copy and paste.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

His Kenyan relatives might have a little disagreement with that.

As for ILOVEDNY:
    His mom is white, I think she had blond hair, that's pretty white.

His mom is white, I think she had blond hair, that's pretty white.
    His dad don't count, eh?
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Yeah, I can't see how he could be called black.

Yeah, I can't see how he could be called black.
    Especially with a mother that has blonde hair

Quote Originally Posted by MERL J
    Especially with a mother that has blonde hair
    Maybe that one of his aunts from Kenya.

Well, yeah.
    I still don't get why the media/some of the country is giving Obama a pass on this. I cannot accept that the majority of black churches preach that the US government created the AIDS virus to kill black people. I just don't. Wright is psychotic, he would be if he was white, hispanic, or bright green.
    "You show what you are willing to fight for when you fight friends." - Hillary Rodham Clinton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information