Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heritage Trail Bike Path

Question Heritage Trail Bike Path

I see that the Heritage Trail bike path has been paved along the railroad tracks that go under the 90, North of the William St entrance. From a map that I have it show that the trail folows the tracks from Harlem east to Union and then follows union to Como Park Boulevard. It there follows Como Park east to the back entrance of Stiglmeier Park.

Has anyone seen where the path is planned to go eastward into depew/Lancaster? I found the following exerp from a Lancaster town board meeting in 2006:

The path will now start in Como Park, then cross the islands down Burwell Street, up Court
    Street, over Erie Street to Walter Winter Drive. Once it reaches the former Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western
    Railroad right-of-way, it will follow the ROW eastward to Townline Road.
    Hopefully it'll be a safe ride from Lancaster to the newly paved portion in Cheektowaga. I'd really like to ride my bike to work while avoiding William Street at all costs.

I would use this path a lot too

Interesting. If you go by Como Park blvd between Hawthorne & Bennett it looks like there is some stone going down along the north side of the road. Maybe that is part of the path? I would think that the path would then just go right out Como Park blvd and continue on the Lancaster route you describe. The path really could not go down Broadway or William through Depew, I wouldn't think.

I'll see what I can find out.
    'If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much
    about it?' Sagoyewatha 'Red Jacket' 1757-1830

Ah

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat
    I see that the Heritage Trail bike path has been paved along the railroad tracks that go under the 90, North of the William St entrance. From a map that I have it show that the trail follows the tracks from Harlem east to Union and then follows union to Como Park Boulevard. It there follows Como Park east to the back entrance of Stiglmeier Park.

Has anyone seen where the path is planned to go eastward into Depew/Lancaster? I found the following excerpt from a Lancaster town board meeting in 2006:

Hopefully it'll be a safe ride from Lancaster to the newly paved portion in Cheektowaga. I'd really like to ride my bike to work while avoiding William Street at all costs.

May be if you get some time this weekend take a ride through there, and give the MB a good report. I didn't even know about that trail, and I walk at Stiglmeier often in the back ball diamonds.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Here's a map of the cheektowaga portion:

I took a walk on the path today during lunch. I went from st. felix to Union. It's a great path. About 10 feet wide and they're installing fences along portions.

I had heard that it was supposed to follow the railroad tracks much further into lancaster and depew but the railroad wanted to retain the right to use the land if a light rail were to be installed. This is why the plan follows Como Park.

great place to hide from "the man" too....

How safe is this trail? Any security features? You would hope, after what has happened in the past in this region(BPR). These trails must be made safe for the public. At the same time, those who want to walk them, should never go alone!

It's still under construction, but I thought that there's a plan to install call boxes.

Call boxes would be great. Let's hope they are monitored to work properly. This trail system could be a good thing as long as it is well maintained and kept secure. Hope it doesn't become a dumping ground either!

Post Bike path in Lancaster

Over the weekend we walked parts of the newly constructed tail from Town Line Road in Lancaster to Ransom Road. I have no idea where it goes from here, but plan to find out. Looks like it is following the old abandoned rail way....
    Kevin B Leigh

Can someone explain to me, specificially, where this Cheetowaga portion is?
    Is it the overpass over Union between the Police Building and Como Park?
    Paved?
    How wide?
    Parking?
    Mostly bikes, running, walking?

Mile markers?

I get excited over trails, so please forgive all the questions!

Quote Originally Posted by kleigh View Post
    Over the weekend we walked parts of the newly constructed tail from Town Line Road in Lancaster to Ransom Road. I have no idea where it goes from here, but plan to find out. Looks like it is following the old abandoned rail way....
    I may have to check out the new Lancaster trail tonight. Are there mile markers?

Originally posted by therising:
    I may have to check out the new Lancaster trail tonight. Are there mile markers?

Opening this Summer!
    This summer the Town of Lancaster will open its newest outdoor recreational facility. The Lancaster Heritage Trail will be completed this
    summer commencing years of planning and about 8 months of construction. The 4 mile off road hike & bike trail will start at the end of Walter Winter Drive and continue to Townline Road and have mile
    markers every 1/4 mile. The Trail will give us the opportunity to see many different aspects of nature and wildlife other than the regular

suburban lifestyle that we are accustom to.

http://www.erie.gov/lancaster/pdfs/s...happenings.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Thank you, Gorja.

What say you about parking?

Saw the asphalt going down on the trail this afternoon on the west side of Cemetery Rd.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information