Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Street brew pub's 'added attractions' deemed inappropriate by preservationists

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Pearl Street brew pub's 'added attractions' deemed inappropriate by preservationists

By Mark Sommer
    Updated: 05/16/08 10:09 AM

The hardscrabble face can be seen from the Niagara Thruway, a hat pulled down around his eyes in what appears to be a futile attempt to stave off the bitter elements.

Perched atop a silver beer tap, the 25-foot-tall “Lake Effect Man” is the most visible part of the Pearl Street Grill & Brewery’s $3 million expansion.
    Exterior changes include up to three levels of terraces, stairwells and awnings on three sides of the mid-19th-century brick-and-mortar building at Pearl and Seneca streets.

Earl Ketry, managing partner, says the changes offer a “wow” factor designed to lure more customers and enhance the restaurant’s identity.
    To the Buffalo Preservation Board, it’s more of a “yuck” factor.
    The board has voted down changes twice in the past 10 months, claiming harm to the architectural integrity of a building that dates back to 1841 and is part of the Ellicott Historic District.

Ketry went around the board by gaining approval from the Common Council in a 5-4 vote last July.

He is considering whether to do so again after the Preservation Board rejected additional proposed changes last month.

“Lake Effect Man is our absolute icon, and it will become a central part of our marketing,” Ketry said of the dominant, 2- ton sculpture.

Read the full Article in the Buffalo News

Email at msommer@buffnews.com

They are not happy with thier new sign on the corner of the building.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    To the Buffalo Preservation Board, it’s more of a “yuck” factor.
    Sometimes various groups of people need to be told to mind thier own business.

Ketry went around the board by gaining approval from the Common Council in a 5-4 vote last July.
    Why does a business owner need their approval over signage?

As long as it's basically safe for the people walking underneath and isn't "obscene" (to completely offend anyone) why do they need to approve what a business is going to do?

Do the people who are on the common council basically need to approve everything?

“They have far and away exceeded what we thought would be appropriate for that building,” said John Laping, board chairman.
    Does anyone know this character?

Tell him to register and explain what he would think would be appropriate for that building.

I'm curious if his interest is to grow business or to stay stuck in the 1840's.

Laping said the Common Council should not have overruled the Preservation Board without seeking its advice.
    I wonder what that advice would have been.......

personally I like the idea of he terraces around the building , you can sit above the traffic in summer & see the lake , relax outdoors without carbon monoxide fumes , perhaps expand the capacity as they'd be like fire escapes........the preservationists need to bend a little , be way more flexible..........plus reastaurant busineses need to "re-invent" themselves as the competition is so tough , a change is usually good for business.......
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

The Lake Effect man is hideous. Honestly, I am not crazy about the obtrusive wooden carved sculptures in and around the city, but can appreciate the work that went into them, and that they were salvaged from the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresthesun
    The Lake Effect man is hideous. Honestly, I am not crazy about the obtrusive wooden carved sculptures in and around the city, but can appreciate the work that went into them, and that they were salvaged from the storm.
    OK , I'll give ya that one , the Lake effect" "sculpture" is a little weird...........
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

I adore Lake Effect Man. ADORE him. I have never before loved so deeply and passionately a piece of building sculpture than in this instance.
    And it is totally not because I would otherwise be indifferent to it, but because it pisses the preservationists off, I love the thing.
    "You show what you are willing to fight for when you fight friends." - Hillary Rodham Clinton

Not my cup of tea when it comes to art, but I feel it's appropriate to the building and the business.
    It very much reminds me of historic towns and pubs in the northeast like Mass, Maine, NH, etc.
    I think the preservation board is full of over zealous, unreasonable, extremely opinionated obstructionists. As someone that has money tied up in a downtown renovation, I would seriously think twice and maybe even 4 or 5 times before considering doing another. No wonder we lose as many gems as we have. It would be wonderful to have money to just throw at projects like this, and be able to do it for the sheer joy of spending money to rebuild, but the reality is, very few have unlimited resources.
    Someone on another message board brought up a very good point. In other cities, the P.B (or sometimes called Heritage Boards) are very proactive in finding funding and sponsors to help renovate their cities. The board here seems very unwilling to dirty their hands on something like raising funds. Although they certainly can find time to run to court again and again. I think Buffalo deserves better. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it, but there are some very wealthy companies and foundations in this area that could and should be tapped to sponsor some of the city's rebirth.
    That's just my 2 cents, I could be totally wrong and out of line but I'm sticking to my belief on this.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

pub signage examples from boston

Yeah, this seems hella silly. This has the same smell the "OMG MUSIC IS ART IS NOT ART WILL RUIN OUR ARTS [& crafts] FESTIVAL!!!!" fiasco had. I'm a preservationist at heart, but no where have I ever claimed that preservationists have all the "right" ideas or motives and here it looks like some people, well intentioned or not, have been eating moron sandwiches for lunch.

Personally, I think the actual Lake Effect Man sculpture is hideous. I like the idea they are going for, but I stood looking at it for a long moment trying to figure out what the hell I was looking at. Great plan, IMO. Poor execution. Maybe they can change it, but if not, oh well, no biggie.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    As long as it's basically safe for the people walking underneath and isn't "obscene" (to completely offend anyone) why do they need to approve what a business is going to do?
    Well Res, I have to tell you that it completely offends ME!

But that's only because it looks less like a "Lakefront Man" and more like a big turd with a metal penis hanging off the bottom.

Seriously...and we at HSBC have to explain to guests from all over the world what the heck it is. It's great hearing a visitor say in a British accent "But it looks like a piece of (insert expletive)."
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Does anyone have a close up picture of this Lake Effect Man?

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me, especially if the terrace will stay open throughout the winter! Now all they need is snowmobile parking and a volunteer club willing to build a snowmobile trail right to this place! I'd ride there from Wyoming County when the weather is right.

Remove Head From Sand Or......

THIS wooden sculpture is a commercial landmark, an icon, part of the "come on" to make this commercial establishment known...in order to be successful.
    If you preservationists want history..go to the Historical Museum on Nottingham Terrace.
    If it offends you, dont look at it. And if you are really that closed minded, than dont visit this establishment.
    Havent you time in the bottle people already caused enough damage to business' that wish to expand, employ people, and create a business friendly atmosphere for potential developers in a city that screams for investment.

Support the Preservation Board

I say we should fully recreate the Cobblestone and Waterfront Districts just as they were in the 1800's. I would love to see more taverns in the area. Don't forget the brothels that once flourished down there. Let's recreate those, it would give tourists something to do downtown, and make us the toast of the north east.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    Well Res, I have to tell you that it completely offends ME!

But that's only because it looks less like a "Lakefront Man" and more like a big turd with a metal penis hanging off the bottom.

Seriously...and we at HSBC have to explain to guests from all over the world what the heck it is. It's great hearing a visitor say in a British accent "But it looks like a piece of (insert expletive)."
    I should clarify:

On balance, yes the Pub should be able to erect a "lakefront man" even if it looks suspiciously like a 'great big dookie' with an aluminum crank. It's their business operation...the icon is not affrontingly offensive....and it's certainly distinctive.

However, don't lie to yourself and think that it can't reflect in a negative manner on the city, and that there is no public interest to be found in such reflection.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information