Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bethlehem Steel site assessment deal hailed

Bethlehem Steel site assessment deal hailed

Sighs of relief were sometimes audible Monday night in Lackawanna, where city and school leaders unanimously approved a settlement in the years-long challenge of property assessments for the former Bethlehem Steel property.

All that is left is for a State Supreme Court justice to sign off on the agreement today.

Under the settlement, the assessments for 2001 through 2007 were revised to 0, but neither the city nor the school district must refund tax revenues they collected. Throughout the challenge, the site’s current owner, Mittal Steel Co., made annual payments of approximately $1 million to the city and hundreds of thousand of dollars to the school district.

“There was a possibility that we could have been paying up to $20 million in paybacks and interest if we lost the case,” said Council President Charles Jaworski.

The school district was looking at a worst-case scenario of having to refund a little more than $9.2 million, according to figures released Monday night by Sameh Masry, school business official.

The assessment for 2008 has been set at $30 million. It will be reduced to $19 million in 2009; $13 million for 2010 and 2011; and $10 million for 2012.
    The city’s share of tax revenue will drop to just under $1 million the first year, Jaworski said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/339907.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Great Deal for the City and School District. Bad deal for Erie County.

Seems the City traded off a lower assessment for past years in exchange for no refunds from the City or School. So the County is responsible for the refund - which means the other county taxpayers pay for our problems. Good for us, but seems like a dangerous precedent for the way municipalities handle court cases.

I heard the assessment was dropped to "0" for the years that the county owes the refund, and then rises back to $30 million for this year. Must be all the development on the waterfront! (The windmills are tax exempt).

Ahhh..

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor
    Great Deal for the City and School District. Bad deal for Erie County.

Seems the City traded off a lower assessment for past years in exchange for no refunds from the City or School. So the County is responsible for the refund - which means the other county taxpayers pay for our problems. Good for us, but seems like a dangerous precedent for the way municipalities handle court cases.

I heard the assessment was dropped to "0" for the years that the county owes the refund, and then rises back to $30 million for this year. Must be all the development on the waterfront! (The windmills are tax exempt).
    I believe the County owes a refund for Sewers, correct? Which is paid fully by the residents of the Lackawanna district only, NOT all the County Taxpayers. Look at your Tax bill. So, who do you think will fund the "refund"?
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Still a good deal for the City and the School District taxpayers. The assessed value portion of the sewer charge is minimal compared to the other taxes. City and School tax rate is around $65 per thousand while the sewer charge is $3.

I am thrilled as a City taxpayer, but you have to have legitimate concern as a County taxpayer that this trend could continue. The property dropped to "$0" for 5 or 10 years and then jumped back up to $30 mil? Where is the justification in that? The County taxpayer pays the refund and the City barters that off for a lower number. It was a manipulation of the numbers that was inequitable to the payers.

Good for the City, but watch out for a trend. What goes around comes around!!

But

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor
    Still a good deal for the City and the School District taxpayers. The assessed value portion of the sewer charge is minimal compared to the other taxes. City and School tax rate is around $65 per thousand while the sewer charge is $3.

I am thrilled as a City taxpayer, but you have to have legitimate concern as a County taxpayer that this trend could continue. The property dropped to "$0" for 5 or 10 years and then jumped back up to $30 mil? Where is the justification in that? The County taxpayer pays the refund and the City barters that off for a lower number. It was a manipulation of the numbers that was inequitable to the payers.

Good for the City, but watch out for a trend. What goes around comes around!!
    Like I said.. only the County taxpayer in Lackawanna will pay this back, not the taxpayers anywhere else. Divide 600k across the Lackawanna taxpayers..
    Last edited by LaNdReW; June 4th, 2008 at 04:38 PM.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Quote of the Month!

The city’s lawyers referred to the county as “Rip Van Erie.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/355537.html

County fails on Bethlehem tax deal

By Matt Gryta NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 05/26/08 6:57 AM

A judge has rejected Erie County’s attempt to undo a tax settlement between Lackawanna and the owners of the old Bethlehem Steel site.
    The county had tried to intervene in an attempt to avoid refunding $2.1 million in taxes and sewer fees. But the City of Lackawanna’s lawyers argued that the county was far too late.
    State Supreme Court Justice Donna M. Siwek had agreed to the settlement April 24 to close a case that had gone on for seven years.
    The city’s lawyers referred to the county as “Rip Van Erie.”
    Meanwhile, county officials could be considering an appeal.
    “We are weighing our options and contemplating an appeal based on the strong merits of our case,” Erie County Attorney Cheryl Green said Friday.
    To settle the tax challenge, Lackawanna officials struck this compromise: The property’s assessed value would fall from $40 million to zero for 2001-07, then rise again. But the City of Lackawanna and the school system would not have to refund the taxes paid this decade by current owner Mittal Steel Co.
    Without a place at the table, Erie County was not spared, however. It is likely the county will have to refund $1.5 million in taxes paid over the years, plus $600,000 paid to one of its sewer districts.
    During the administration of County Executive Joel A. Giambra, County Attorney Frederick Wolf decided against involving the county in the many tax assessment challenges.
    “Had the county administration been involved in this litigation and settlement, the negative impact to the county could have been reduced or possibly even avoided,” County Comptroller Mark C. Poloncarz said this week.
    mgryta@buffnews.com

Post Trouble

Yes I voted for the settlement of the Bethlehem Steel Corp. vs The City of Lackawanna assessment case but I was forced into a corner to do it.
    The attorney fees throughout the years of litigation were outrageous so I had to vote yes to stop them.
    The settlement allows for the assessment to be reduced from $38 mil to $10 mil by the year 2012.
    Who do you all think is going to pick up the $28 mil decrease in assessed business tax revenues in 2 years?
    Lackawanna is in deep ...-..., soon, real soon. Unless new business comes in..........

Thumbs up Visibility

This is why the sign "Welcome to Lackawanna, businesses" has to be more visible from all directions, including Rt. 5

Also, more atetntion should be paid to the Lackawanna' web: http://www.ci.lackawanna.ny.us/
    Why it doesn't promote businesses or, at least, have a link to the Lackawanna Chamber of Commerce: http://www.lackawannachamber.com/

Who's promoting Lackawanna? Does anybody responsible for PR or Community Outreach positions?

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    yes i voted for the settlement of the bethlehem steel corp. Vs the city of lackawanna assessment case but i was forced into a corner to do it.
    The attorney fees throughout the years of litigation were outrageous so i had to vote yes to stop them.
    The settlement allows for the assessment to be reduced from $38 mil to $10 mil by the year 2012.
    Who do you all think is going to pick up the $28 mil decrease in assessed business tax revenues in 2 years?
    Lackawanna is in deep ...-..., soon, real soon. Unless new business comes in..........
    how can new businesses come in when you have been chasing them out for 20 years?????

Post Facts!

OK he/she toms,
    Do you really think the Coffee business, Hotel, Small Boat Harbor expansion, etc. would be there IF the tire burning plant was burning the 2 million tires/day?
    Do you really think Mulberry's' would be on Jackson Street if the Infectious Medical Waste Treatment Plant that eagan/polanski and company wanted was built in the Old Village?
    Do you really think anyone would be living om Jackson, Dona and Wilmuth if Bakery Salvage was built along the creek?

Did you just move to Lackawanna? I was born here and care deeply about my/OUR City of Lackawanna and the people who live here!

I told you yesterday to check the facts before spewing your lies.

Post Facts!

toms,
    Can you please tell me what you are trying to accomplish on here? I understand you are trying to take the pressure and attention off your orange crate but........
    I suggest you take some adult evening classes or something before you continue because you are coming across as...............!

Thumbs up

As a Christian, you should love your neighboors and respect others the way you want to be respected.

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    As a Christian, you should love your neighboors and respect others the way you want to be respected.
    How about them respecting others especially women and how about them trying to respect the taxpayers for they do work for us not the other way around. Besides where were you when toms was dissing cath
    Last edited by mnb811; December 4th, 2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add

Post Facts

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    "Judge ye and be ye not judged!"
    To whom this may concern,
    Some of you folks do not really know me or understand anything about me, you go on hearsay or the media reports. Obviously I choose to do what I do, I could sit in my house and look the other way like the average person does. BUT....I can't because I listen to OUR children and hear the needs of ALL the people!
    I would have a 15 year State pension if I did not step out of the box in order to try to get elected over polanski who ........ One day you will see the truth, there is light at the end of the tunnel!
    There is so much more to this whole picture----this fight has never, I mean never been about me vs them. It is a story of GOD using me to be a Gatecrasher against the corruption that has run wildly throughout Lackawanna since the beginning of OUR City. Ironically I can not get over the timing, our 100 year Birthday. Nothing in God's world is by chance, everything is perfectly scheduled and will be revealed at the perfect moment. 100 years of corruption and now I know our reign of freedom and good things for Lackawanna is near. I feel it and know they will implode as I already mentioned.
    Unfortunately the men in power have always put their own agendas in front of the needs of the people who live here.

I call the crooks on their corruption and they fight back to protect their gravy train.
    I present the facts and it is up to the people to pick up the ball and run with it, to pressure the State Authorities for an investigation into their shadiness.
    If I did not love my neighbors zanna I would look the other way the way you and others do by NOT coming to meetings or supporting Lackawanna events, Churches and businesses. Keep it real now folks.
    I bought a house and invested in a business. I tried and still will continue to fight out corruption because I LOVE my neighbors/Lackawanna!

Quote Originally Posted by toms View Post
    how can new businesses come in when you have been chasing them out for 20 years?????
    Yeah that Bakery Salvage would be an asset....That place smells so bad it'll make you puke.Used to be on Chandler Street in Buffalo.I used to work at the school on Hertel Ave.and Military and the kids, neighbors and everyone living close by used to complain about the stench.Maybe they should have put in next door to Mr.Love's house on Clark St.
    Last edited by mnb811; December 5th, 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information