• Yes

28 65.12%
  • No

15 34.88%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the WSPD and ECSD consolidate

Should the WSPD and ECSD consolidate

Should the WSPD and ECSD consolidate

Looks like Poll-a-mania has become the rage. How about a poll to stop Polling ?
    A remark should only hurt within it's proportion of what is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Ebenezer
    Looks like Poll-a-mania has become the rage. How about a poll to stop Polling ?
    You're such a grouch!

I voted yes. I don't live in West Seneca, but I am familiar with its budget and its costs for police protection. West Seneca's population decreases almost every year, and it's tax base remains pretty flat. If the residents there want to decrease taxes, eliminating an independent police force is the way to do it. I'll look up the FBI crime statistics to see if crime is increasing, but I think it's pretty much status quo, year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    You're such a grouch!

I voted yes. West Seneca's population decreases almost every year, and it's tax base remains pretty flat. If the residents there want to decrease taxes, eliminating an independent police force is the way to do it.
    I agree. If the town is really concerned with cost, let's stop "business as usual" mentality. Let's do something really creative.

As dumb as this sounds, I don't want to lose the West Seneca Police Department. It may be an identity thing, a nostalgia thing, a pride thing, etc

I just think the WSPD would take more pride in the area than the ECSD.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    As dumb as this sounds, I don't want to lose the West Seneca Police Department. It may be an identity thing, a nostalgia thing, a pride thing, etc

I love what you just posted. People love their police departments. It's wonderful to know that you can pick up the telephone and have someone from the PD there in minutes.

But the point about consolidation is that the same officer will be there -- and quickly -- to help you. Those officers will be stationed in headquarters near where ever you are.

The truth is that consolidation will not cut costs at first.
    Last edited by atotaltotalfan2001; May 8th, 2008 at 02:48 PM.

It's a dumb feel good poll. Duh ! Of course the majority would favor it. Wally is attempting to consolidate and cut costs in town.
    Last edited by Spirit of Ebenezer; May 8th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.
    A remark should only hurt within it's proportion of what is true.

I bet if you were able to be around 50-100 years from now, you will find a regional police department. I bet you will see a much leaner more efficient government. I bet you will see it because it is necessary. Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better. That is the truth of WNY. I just hope the timetable for change is sooner than 50-100 years from now.

Go to www.thecost.org and look at the comparison between towns. They are 2005 figures, but comparing the cost of government between West Seneca and other towns is interesting verses the population within the towns.

Ouch!

I am not a resident of your fine town, however, I am a sheriff's deputy and take a little offense to your comment of "take pride". We take pride and many of us live in the communities we patrol and, I may add, are very concerned for the citizens we serve, which, by the way, is you too.

I will say this, although I understand the emotional attachment to local police, you would have the exact same service your getting now, if West Seneca contracted with the sheriff's office. The patrol deputies would be dedicated to your town as are the deputies, for example, that serve in the Village of Springville.

West Seneca police is a top shelf agency. West Seneca residents should be proud of their police. However, when you are ready to cut taxes, you need to look at all municipal services, not just the police.

Quote Originally Posted by RPD86
    I am not a resident of your fine town, however, I am a sheriff's deputy and take a little offense to your comment of "take pride". We take pride and many of us live in the communities we patrol and, I may add, are very concerned for the citizens we serve, which, by the way, is you too.

I understand why you'd take offense although none was intended.

I'm sure you guys take pride in your duties, and you are proud of the job you do. My thinking is more along the lines of "The smaller the organization, the brighter the spotlight".

In other words, if a Deputy screws up it's a tiny ripple throughout the department. In West Seneca it's a tsunami.

I will say this, although I understand the emotional attachment to local police, you would have the exact same service your getting now, if West Seneca contracted with the sheriff's office. The patrol deputies would be dedicated to your town as are the deputies, for example, that serve in the Village of Springville.

West Seneca police is a top shelf agency. West Seneca residents should be proud of their police. However, when you are ready to cut taxes, you need to look at all municipal services, not just the police.
    RPD86,

I am curious as to your opinion in regards to a merger with the BPD.

http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sho...453#post339453

Check out this section of the thread.

agree. Did anyone ever join the West Seneca Citizens Police Academy?
    I hear its a great program, and you will learn a great deal about our fine police officers. Think I take the class the next time it is offered.

WSPD has ownership in our citizens, ECSD could care less....please, stop the talk about consolidation...just won't work here. We are not a rural area, where the ECSD would work just fine.

[QUOTE=be true to yourself]agree. Did anyone ever join the West Seneca Citizens Police Academy?
    I hear its a great program, and you will learn a great deal about our fine police officers. Think I take the class the next time it is offered.QUOTE]

I highly recommend it to everyone.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Ebenezer
    It's a dumb feel good poll. Duh ! Of course the majority would favor it. Wally is attempting to consolidate and cut costs in town.
    You are just a grouch. Sheesh!!!

Well, I'm happy to read that you take pride in your job. All of us should -- and why the fact that you do makes you special baffles me.

But -- now that I've vented -- I want to ask you to analyze the West Seneca budget and find a way to cut costs that offset the police budget.

Won't happen. The police departments are always the single biggest expense of any town budget.That makes sense: police departments hire the most people.

But whether those departments really need to exist at all is the question.

I don't think so.

P.S. Please don't tell me the West Seneca Police Department has its own SWAT team. That would just be too perfect.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information