Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Houghton College site to become seniors’ community

Houghton College site to become seniors’ community

What for years has been used as a college campus in West Seneca is set to become a campus for senior citizens.

Houghton College has made a deal to sell its satellite campus in West Seneca to an Orchard Park developer, who will use the large, scenic property to build a$30 million retirement community with an assortment of senior housing.

Young Development signed a contract to purchase the 36-acre site at 810 Union Road—just south of Seneca Street and Southgate Plaza— one of the largest pieces of property offered for sale in Erie County in recent years.

Closing is set for next spring or summer. The developer hopes to break ground for the senior project in September.

“There’s a need for senior housing. There’s a real need for it,” said Bryan Young, president of Young Development. “They seem to be among the few who aren’t moving out of the area.”
    From: http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/890720.html

Thoughts?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Wow. Wonder if they're relocating the West Seneca campus or shutting it all together. They used to do their adult education program from there.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

I think that is a perfect area for senior housing.

Great idea.

And, where does this Young Development guy get all his money?

Is this project going to have HUD "projects" style apartments on site?

Quote Originally Posted by WESTENDFIRECO View Post
    Is this project going to have HUD "projects" style apartments on site?
    According to someone at the meeting, sorry I can't remember his name, there will be HUD housing on the property. Allegedly, all of it will be senior housing, with some of it run by PEOPLE, Inc. If this gentleman's facts were correct, there will be over 400 units total.

Ultimately, I foresee added expense to the tax payers, not to mention the added strain on our fire companies. A traffic signal will need to be installed, along with secondary access to the area.

Given the demographics of our society, it will be approximately 15 to 20 years for the aging "55 and over" crowd to be gone, myself included. When that happens, there will not be sufficient numbers to fill these complexes and they will need to re-evaluate their business plan. That's when these units will be made available to the general low-income renter. An example of this is the Allenhurst Apts. in Amherst. Once primarily senior housing, now a HUD housing project. When the owners could no longer find senior tenents they needed to fill the spaces. School enrollment increased, and an addition was needed on the Windermere Elem. School. The middle and high schools had to be reconfigured to handle the additional students. I graduated from Amherst HS with a class of 488, and there were four elementry schools at that time, while my son graduated almost 30 yrs later with a class closer to 1000 with just two elementry schools. The crime rate around that area has risen since the transformation occured.

A group has formed on Facebook called "Save Our West Seneca". There is more information there.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Thanks for the info

Wow they increased the number of units by 4x's!
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Wow they increased the number of units by 4x's!
    I thought that seemed like a lot myself. But this gentleman went so far as to draw a comparison to the number parking spaces in the front portion of the SG Plaza. He definately appeared to have his facts in order, along with a great deal of suppoters. He was stopped by a number of others who were unaware of the magnitude of the project.
    There was also a meeting with the residentsof the area,Mr. Young, and his attorney, Ralph Lorigo (SURPRISE!) They claim the property is already zoned for the project, but need the "S" classification. I didn't get alll of the details, but assume they'll be in the minutes or even the Bee this week.
    I only hope Ralphy boy doesn't use his endorsements over the boards head to get this passed.

Question Dan, given Ralph's position and power for the C endorsement, isn't there a conflict when he brings matters like this before the board? Should members he endorsed abstain from voting?

I am not sure, but it just doesn't look right. On top of his endorsement as Chair of the Conservative Party you also have him appearing as attorney of record for the Town Clerk in my action challenging the effective date of the downsizing.

Since when...

I am not sure, but it just doesn't look right. On top of his endorsement as Chair of the Conservative Party you also have him appearing as attorney of record for the Town Clerk in my action challenging the effective date of the downsizing.

... does our Town Board care what it looks like? And when it looks bad all they b=need to do is to throw it to the fourth councilman- Town Board Member Ex Officio Shawn Martin! Or so it would seem.

This is from the Town Website for the Planing Board on March 11th:

"A request from Young Development Inc. for a special permit for property located at 810 Union Road, being part of Lot Nos. 329 & 330, changing its classification from R-60 to R-60(S), for one 3-story, 158-unit senior apartment building; two 2-story, 8-unit apartment buildings; and one 2-story, 47-unit HUD 202 apartment building."

Doesn't say anything about the Lambein building usage or the fact that he was also proposing some conveniences he wants for the seniors. The developer said he would like to see a beauty salon and recreation building possibly.

Let us not forget that Wally worked for Ralph at one time.

This is more confusing than a redneck family reunion.

I hope they keep the walking trail and the woods. It seems like a good place for senior housing but most of the neighbors are used to walking their dogs and hiking over there.

I found out about the meeting at Town Hall late yesterday and couldn't make it back in town to go

any one want to fill me in on what happened?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information