Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charles Burchfield Nature & Art Center

Charles Burchfield Nature & Art Center

The Charles Burchfield Nature & Art Center has been under fire for quite some time now. Like so many other great cultural ideas, it seems the Burchfield is quickly becoming yet another victim to the politics and bureaucracy that has consumed so many in the region for so long.

First of all, Manuel is right on the money when talking about these “firings.” How is it that someone can state publicly for the record that any decision affecting a privately run organization was made without its Board’s knowledge? And whether the Town funds these positions or not, to decide not only on cutting two positions, but deciding specifically which employee they were going to keep without the Burchfield Board’s knowledge was ridiculous. If they need two cut to positions to alleviate the burden to the taxpayers, that’s fine. But when deciding this, my feeling is the Burchfield Board should have been notified and brought in from that point on to decide which employee to keep. And where is the Burchfield Board in all of this? Why is the Town even funding positions for a private non for profit organization with tax payer money to begin with? The whole thing seems rotten.

Secondly, I noticed in the Buffalo News the quote from Councilwoman Bove, “There should be an open work session on Americorps and Youth Bureau so residents can here what is going on,” “No decisions should be made behind closed door. Nothing should be a surprise.” Nothing against Americorps or the Youth Bureau and all the work and service they provide our community, but why is this policy only in place for them? The exact opposite was done to Burchfield as admitted to in the West Seneca Bee. And again, why are we only hearing from the Town? Why is the Burchfield Board not enraged by this and speaking out about it? Perhaps the original idea for the organization is something not meant for West Seneca after all as no one is willing to fight for it.

Finally, in response to 4UWS’s quote in reference to the $100,000 that is being saved: the salaries for the two employees that were cut were worth more than $8.00/hour. And these salaries do not include the $56,000 expense account under the Burchfield name which apparently current and former employees and a majority of Board Members were unaware even existed. Where did all that money go? And why is the Burchfield being held accountable for money they apparently didn’t even spend? Lots of questions, but I digress.

Yes indeed, perhaps the Burchfield Park was a mistake. Perhaps its mission was too grandios. Perhaps just a park, with no art, and activity component.

I think it was setup in the way it was because perhaps the thinking was "what do town boards know about art?", and volunteer concerned citizens might be better tasked with the job. It was never thought that these concerned citizens should also have to pay to do their volunteer job, or be unreasonably tasked to fund raise to run this park. The whole thing was done as sort of a hand shake, but new administrations, and handshakes are forgotten.

With regard to the building, Americorp is paying for the building through rent. High rent. Most likely, in fact, that building never would have been built had it not been for funding coming from Americorp.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel
    Yes indeed, perhaps the Burchfield Park was a mistake. Perhaps its mission was too grandios. Perhaps just a park, with no art, and activity component.

I think it was setup in the way it was because perhaps the thinking was "what do town boards know about art?", and volunteer concerned citizens might be better tasked with the job. It was never thought that these concerned citizens should also have to pay to do their volunteer job, or be unreasonably tasked to fund raise to run this park. The whole thing was done as sort of a hand shake, but new administrations, and handshakes are forgotten.

With regard to the building, Americorp is paying for the building through rent. High rent. Most likely, in fact, that building never would have been built had it not been for funding coming from Americorp.
    I am glad we are on the same page Manuel, but I noticed in a post concerning the open work session for Burchfield you wrote, "I urge everyone to attend. Fill the place. Let them know you support an activity park, not just a pretty park."

I am just curious which side of the argument you are on?

I believe also that everyone knows by now the arrangment that brought the Park and the Center into existence. The only problem people had with it was very little to no distinction between Burchfield/ Americorps/ WS Youth Bureau. Whether through bad leadership or poor planning, the ambiguity of the situation lead to all the problems that have occured and continue to occur. Now with this new Town Board in place, a third unstable element has added their two cents making the situation even worse. What do you feel is the best solution for all of this so that everyone will be happy?

Bnac

I'm sure when Mark Lazzara gets his dirty hands out of the running of the building, you will see a park and art center run like it should be run. It has been his interference into the workings of all the programs that has caused chaos among programs and among staff. Everyone will be surprised how good things become when HE is gone! And don't let him convince you that it was his efforts that kept the park up. FALSE!

Quote Originally Posted by snowwhite
    I'm sure when Mark Lazzara gets his dirty hands out of the running of the building, you will see a park and art center run like it should be run. It has been his interference into the workings of all the programs that has caused chaos among programs and among staff. Everyone will be surprised how good things become when HE is gone! And don't let him convince you that it was his efforts that kept the park up. FALSE!

so true, so true....ask the many GREAT, HARDWORKING, FORMER EMPLOYEES OF HIS and the hardworking former employees of the BNA that he bullied into either leaving or firing them for no good reason.

What is with all these rumors that Americorps grant money was used to pay for Burchfield Staff? I don't understand how the mission of Americorps and the mission of Burchfield mesh. Sure they are both dedicated to serving the communicated, but in entirely different ways. There were bound to be problems with both organizations sharing the same space. High traffic through a Gallery is a bad idea. Using a room for children's and adult art classes but also as a meeting area for staff was not a good idea. And the community seeing Americorps rugs at everyone entrance potentially suggests to them that the building is for private use only. My understanding is that a lot of people in the community do not realize it is a town owned building accessible to anyone. I am sure the list of problems goes on and on.

Unregistered

AmeriCorps Paid and pays for the Building!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofCharles
    What is with all these rumors that Americorps grant money was used to pay for Burchfield Staff? I don't understand how the mission of Americorps and the mission of Burchfield mesh. Sure they are both dedicated to serving the communicated, but in entirely different ways. There were bound to be problems with both organizations sharing the same space. High traffic through a Gallery is a bad idea. Using a room for children's and adult art classes but also as a meeting area for staff was not a good idea. And the community seeing Americorps rugs at everyone entrance potentially suggests to them that the building is for private use only. My understanding is that a lot of people in the community do not realize it is a town owned building accessible to anyone. I am sure the list of problems goes on and on.
    AmeriCorps paid and pays for the Building! AmeriCorp should leave, go where they are wanted and the town should repay the money they put into it! The park goods very bad and unsafe without AmeriCorp help.

Rent and only Rent

The Americorp pays rent to use the building. Initially, the building was paid for by the Burchfield Penney Art Gallery and the Town. The Americorps grant has funds built into it to pay rent. That's it. They also pay for some utilities but that's because they use them. I heard that Mark is trashing the place so people think it is going down hill without the Americorp staff to maintain it. In the end, everyone will know that his smoke screens and tricks were what was wrong with the program from the beginning. Mark my words (no pun intended).

Unregistered

Burchfield Penny had nothing to do with the building or park!

The Americorp pays rent to use the building. Initially, the building was paid for by the Burchfield Penney Art Gallery and the Town. The Americorps grant has funds built into it to pay rent. That's it. They also pay for some utilities but that's because they use them. I heard that Mark is trashing the place so people think it is going down hill without the Americorp staff to maintain it. In the end, everyone will know that his smoke screens and tricks were what was wrong with the program from the beginning. Mark my words (no pun intended).
    Burchfield Penny had nothing to do with the building or park! AmeriCorps developed the project and paid on the morgage.

Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Historygirl
    Burchfield Penny had nothing to do with the building or park! AmeriCorps developed the project and paid on the morgage.

Wrong again. Call Burchfield Penney and ask them. They put up a lot of money to help build that center. Who ever you are getting your info from is not telling the truth. Wise up!

Unregistered

Mis-informed!

Wrong again. Call Burchfield Penney and ask them. They put up a lot of money to help build that center. Who ever you are getting your info from is not telling the truth. Wise up!
    Misleading, luckily anyone can say whatever they want in this blog, even if it is not true. Like your comments. You call Ted and ask how much money they put into it.

Misleading, luckily anyone can say whatever they want in this blog, even if it is not true. Like your comments. You call Ted and ask how much money they put into it.
    $150,000 from the Burchfield Foundation was donated to the town of West Seneca as a deposit for a bond sponsored by the Town of West Seneca is my understanding of how everything got started. I believe that to be a matter of public record. My feeling is Americorps was simply dooped into paying off the bond for the Town with the promise of a sparkling new building to house their organization. Now that the new Board doesn't want their help anymore, Americorps and their Director are not happy and taking it out on everyone and anything they can. I can't help but question their true commitment to service and their mission when demonstrating behavior like that.

sorry historygirl....snow white is correct. This is public record.

The problem began before the shovel was put into the ground... Excitement started until AmeriCorp announced that they would be in the BNAC....Mr. Clark should have never allowed it. I can't wait for the day that AmeriCorp is out of the building that they never belonged in to begin with.

Historygirl.....you never answered my question.....what has AmeriCorp done for West Seneca? Time for them to stop crying and crabbing and move on !

Snowwhite, I mean Wally, you are wrong, why don't you call Burchfield Penny and ask them. This site is full of disgruntled town employees. It is a wonder anything gets done in this town with the quality of talent I have seen here. You think, therefore it is. You are like a five year old, uneducated, ignorant, and don't know it.

Quote Originally Posted by be true to yourself
    sorry historygirl....snow white is correct. This is public record.
    Another WS employee. Produce the public record. Name something that says the Burchfield Penny helped financially start the WS BNAC other than you own blog postings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information