Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is americorp moving?

is americorp moving?

After reading the article in the Buffalo News, will West Seneca be losing Americorp? Rumor has it that they may have a new home in Cheektowaga. Does anyone know if this is true?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why would they move locations?

Well according to the article, the Supervisor wants to separate Americorp from the town government, as well as stating the residents have complained for years about this program. This seems like the beginning of the end of Americorp in West Seneca. Is the writting on the wall. I have lived in this town my entire life and feel that Americorp has added to this town.

"manuel" would be the person to ask. He's the authority.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    "manuel" would be the person to ask. He's the authority.
    No, the one to ask is another poster. He might know.

For my part, Wallace Peotrowski has been a disaster. I think for Americorp's part, it would be a good move. They need a sponsor, otherwise they can be anywhere. Nobody wants to be where they are not wanted, and WP has made it know he does not want them together with many posters on this web site. Maybe the skin color of some of the workers was offensive to some. In the end, if they leave, it will cost the town money, not save it. But fear not, we will still have Wallace Peotrowski to make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel

For my part, Wallace Peotrowski has been a disaster. I think for Americorp's part, it would be a good move. They need a sponsor, otherwise they can be anywhere. Nobody wants to be where they are not wanted, and WP has made it know he does not want them together with many posters on this web site. Maybe the skin color of some of the workers was offensive to some. In the end, if they leave, it will cost the town money, not save it. But fear not, we will still have Wallace Peotrowski to make it right.
    Did you really just try to turn this into a race issue?

No I must have read this wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by yokes
    Did you really just try to turn this into a race issue?

No I must have read this wrong.
    No, you read it right. I did not try to turn anything. I have ears, and I have heard.

Another beef is that the grounds are hard to keepup for the WS Grounds crew. They say the Americorp does not have the equipment, so the extra work falls to them. That the flower beds are a nightmare for upkeep. That the Grounds is understaffed, and that extra is added, but nothing extra is allocated for upkeep.

I think many of the complainers are themselves town employees. Town residents yes, but also town employees.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    No, you read it right. I did not try to turn anything. I have ears, and I have heard.

Another beef is that the grounds are hard to keepup for the WS Grounds crew. They say the Americorp does not have the equipment, so the extra work falls to them. That the flower beds are a nightmare for upkeep. That the Grounds is understaffed, and that extra is added, but nothing extra is allocated for upkeep.

I think many of the complainers are themselves town employees. Town residents yes, but also town employees.
    Then pay the "Administration" less and buy some yard tools.

Mark,
    Let's not be coy. People are opening the curtains and you don't want any of the light to be let in, it's understandable. It's not right, but it's understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    Mark,
    Let's not be coy. People are opening the curtains and you don't want any of the light to be let in, it's understandable. It's not right, but it's understandable.
    Fisher, you are so funny. Mark is here, or he probably will be later, but I am not him. He no doubt will get a charge out of your confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Then pay the "Administration" less and buy some yard tools.
    I am all for that, consolidate, and get ride of a whole bunch of "Administration" starting with Wallace Peotrowski.

Americorps vs. Youth Bureau

The major concern that citizens, like myself, have had for so long is primarily due to Mark Lazzara, who heads up both agencies. With a salary of just under $80K, a town vehicle, state pension, and benefits all at the TOWN"S expense, most of his time was spent performing AmeriCorps functions. The bulk of the work performed by AmeriCorps was done in the City of Buffalo, or communities other than West Seneca. Myself and other residents felt we were not getting our money's worth from Mr. Lazzara, or benefit from the existence of AmeriCorps in our town. For many years this was protected by the Clark administration, and the people's questions and concerns were disregarded.

The Town of West Seneca was also on the hook for the insurance of the AmeriCorps vehicles. Mark's daughter was involved in an accident with his TOWN OWNED vehicle. Fortunately, there were no casualties, known property damage, or fatalities. The Town could have had a major lawsuit filed against it for allowing a non-town employee to operate the vehicle.

The AmeriCorps program was never the issue, as it provides valuable experience to young people. It was Mark and his management tactics that drew the attention of citizens of West Seneca. His actions, or inactions, coupled with his relationship with a less than honorable former Supervisor, were what focused the spotlight on AmeriCorps.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I am all for that, consolidate, and get ride of a whole bunch of "Administration" starting with Wallace Peotrowski.
    Americorps is a federal program isn't it? Why should the tax payers of WS pay one penny into it? Wally is paid for by the tax payers in WS.

I was surprized when I heard that the guy who heads the program was paid like $80,000 grand and recieved a car. Talk about an over paid fluff job. DOn't think I'm singling this program out, there are a lot of fluff jobs in WNY government. THis is just 1 of far too many of them at our expense.

I don't think $80,000 is too much salary for that job. He administers a $4 million plus budget and doesn't he write the grants himself to get the money? If this weren't Buffalo, those skills would get $100,000. Unlike a lot of people with big jobs in West Seneca, Mark Lazzarra shows up for volunteer events and such....he has a presence. The problem seem to be with how the Town set up the youth bureau and americorps with funding, making the distinction between who is paying for what very fuzzy. That must have been Paul Clark the accountant's strong suit. Then the other problem of using the town for the friends and family system......but that is everywhere in Erie County.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1
    The AmeriCorps program was never the issue, as it provides valuable experience to young people. It was Mark and his management tactics that drew the attention of citizens of West Seneca. His actions, or inactions, coupled with his relationship with a less than honorable former Supervisor, were what focused the spotlight on AmeriCorps.
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Americorps is a federal program isn't it? Why should the tax payers of WS pay one penny into it? Wally is paid for by the tax payers in WS.

I was surprized when I heard that the guy who heads the program was paid like $80,000 grand and recieved a car. Talk about an over paid fluff job. DOn't think I'm singling this program out, there are a lot of fluff jobs in WNY government. THis is just 1 of far too many of them at our expense.
    The Americorp is a major program started by Clinton. It is the Homeland Peace Corp. It has rules setup by the federal government which require a local sponsor, just as the Peace Corp requires a sponsoring country. The money and benefit comes to the local community, but they need to provide clerical support. This is not the only program in the country, but it is one of the more successful ones. In past postings on the issue the term "throw baby out with bathwater", and "careful what you sow, for it is that which you will reap" come to mind.

For my part, I would be sad to see them go. I do not think the Burchfield Park might have happened without their direct and indirect support, but I certainly wish them well, and understand the uneasy position it is dealing
    with a... like Wallace Peotrowski.

To WNYres, if you think that being responsible for bringing into WNY 4-6 million dollars at a cost of 80,000 is a fluff job, I don't understand from where you are coming from on that one.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/331598.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information