Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man goes Amherst IHOP to clean his gun

Man goes Amherst IHOP to clean his gun

Not everyone with a gun has bad intent but some poeple are just plain crazy.
    This is a rather odd story, I'm shure a few people will have some intresting comments about:

"Story Published: Apr 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM EDT

A man with a gun caused a scare at an International House of Pancakes restaurant in Amherst Monday afternoon. Witnesses say around 2:15 a man in his 60s came into the restaurant at 4003 Maple Road, sat at a booth near the center of the restaurant, placed a shotgun on the table and said he was going to clean the gun.

Police say they don't think the man went there with any intention of hurting anyone, and thankfully no one was hurt. The calm, quick actions of restaurant employees to diffuse the situation are earning praise from customers. Witnesses say many people in the half-full restaurant didn't even realize what was going on because the manager quietly talked to the armed man and got him to give up his gun before police were called.

When police arrived, they took the man outside and questioned him. He appeared to be somewhat confused and police say the man will receive a mental evaluation. University at Buffalo students Taylor Frisina and Kathryn Bartlett were sitting in the booth across from the armed man, and they say the situation unfolded so calmly they didn't even think to be afraid until later. "We asked our waitress what had happened and she said he place a rifle on the table," says Frisina. "She's like 'He had a gun on him', and we're like, 'Oh a hand gun?' and she's like 'No he placed a rifle, like a huge rifle', and he was at one of the small booths so it was hanging over the table," says Bartlett.

The man still had the ammunition for the gun on him when police arrived. Some people are stunned that an incident like this would happen in Amherst. "Amherst used to be one of the safest places in America," says Frisina, "There's a lot more crime in general, and now this stuff... it's like what's going on?"

Police say the man was not making any threats, and it did not appear he was going to fire the gun in the restaurant. He'll be given a mental evaluation, and at this time there are no charges filed against him. "

Are there no firearms allowed in IHOP?

justKel
    Yeesh! That's right down the road from where I work and probably the only restaurant on that section of Maple Road I have never been to. That is one of the weirdest things I have ever read. Bring your rifle to a restaurant to clean it? WTF?

I stopped being surprised by people's actions a long time ago. I love Buffalo and its people, but really, we have our share of crazies! I've met thousands and thousands of people during the last 5 years of Central Terminal events and there have been some that you just can't believe are left free to roam!
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

I hear IHOP butter is a great gun barrel cleaner.

hit me with both barrels....

DO YOU THINK..he got any better service from the waitress?

No one. Crazy or Cheney walks into a public resturant with a shotgun and ammunition, sits down without even the smallest kernel of an "idea" to shoot people

The guy intended to kill people

I don't care how "nice" and "cooperative" he was

He didn't walk into IHOP with his dog, naked or dressed as a clown.
    He took his shotgun with him.

The news would never come out and say that he's confessed to the police that he was thinking of shooting a few people, especially in the burbs where MOST of the violent news is supressed and it IS

And if by "some remote chance" Mr. Kind Hunter"
    is a Schizophrenic, he had a much higher potential of firing away at customers because sadly, Schizophrenics are the type of mentally ill people who committ the most violent crimes (even though violence among the mentally ill is RARE, unless against themselves)

Surrrrrrre...He just walked into IHOP with his shotgun & shells, sat down to have some pankcakes and coffee, pay his bill, leave a tip then go hunting.
    He took his shotgun with him because he though someone would steal it if he left it unattended.

Can you say "local news spin, kiddies?"
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Ah

Stupid is as stupid does !!!!
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

The manager should receive a huge bonus in his next paycheck with a paid vacation for putting his customer's and staff's welfare ahead of his own.

Most managers would have kept a safe distance (the kitchen or parking lot) after calling the police

But enough of "he was harmless" or "he was really cooperative"

HE BROUGHT A SHOTGUN WITH AMMUNTION INTO A PANCAKE HOUSE!!

"But he was just confused and such a nice guy too!"

Confused people sometimes go postal, firing away in a haze, a blood-soaked daze!

What do you THINK he would have done if the manager somehow provoked him or he simply "lost it" (even more)?!

Usually, I could care less about MOST local news stories but THIS one is so damned fascinating and well, weird that I'm wondering WHY this guy walked into IHOP with a shotgun!

Yes, I'm "jumping the gun" (NO PUN!), but I hate to think what MIGHT have happened with a loaded shotgun and a resturant full of people too fat and tired to run from all the syrupy & buttery pancakes and waffles they gorged themselves on!!!

Emma Bull

Notice that everyone was so focused the their yummy butter covered syrup coated pancakes they never noticed the guy walk in, sit down and put the gun on the table? At least the employees are attentive.

justKel
    Well it doesn't seem to have hurt IHOP's business. I worked late last night and drove by there and it was packed out -- at 8:30 PM!

What hurst IHOP's business is crappy service. I went to the new one on Delaware a couple of months ago...we were there for 45 minutes and no one seemed to be able to bring my wife 2 PANCAKES! and you KNOW there's a guy in the kitchen who does nothing put pour, flip, and plate pancakes. And the manager didn't seem to care. Oh well...no going back, to that one at least. stupid monkeys....
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by GG716
    Notice that everyone was so focused the their yummy butter covered syrup coated pancakes they never noticed the guy walk in, sit down and put the gun on the table? At least the employees are attentive.
    That's funny!!

That's also AMHERST
    (suddenly, choirs of Angels sing, while a light from the Heavens shines upon wondrous Amherst!)
    -where people rarely if ever expect the kind of violence the local media so happily announces the city of Buffalo as having 24/7

So a guy toting a shotgun into IHOP, sitting down with it in plain sight while a packed resturant of pudgy patrons gorge themselves, not noticing said gunman until he's been there for ten or twenty minutes is no surprise in
    AMHERST
    (Angels sing, a bright, white light shines down upon Amherst and Jesus smiles and blesses all those who dwell in the paradise known as Amherst;And Somewhere-a flower blooms, heralding Spring
    in that verdant Eden we call...AMHERST:God's country

So yeah, in the suburbs, someone bringing a shotgun into a resturant WOULD go unnoticed for a while as opposed to Buffalo where people expect this kind of craziness (Including North Buffalo)

And if this guy was TRULY crazy,
    wouldn't he have placed an order of pancakes for himself
    AND
    a seperate order of pankcakes or waffles for his SHOTGUN?

"Ah'll have the Belgium waffles an' Betsy here'll have a stack of your Blueberry pancakes..
    Hey, whut's wrong with you?!
    Stop staring at my girlfriend!
    She's just a little skinny and needs some meat on her!
    So bring us our food or else!!
    Just kiddin'!!
    Stop staring at my lady!!! (shotgun)
    No, I "don't want to speak to your manager."
    My gurlfriend an' me are mighty hungry so bring us our order!"

THAT'S "CRAZY"

Emma Bull

justKel
    Dumbfounded, ROFLMAO! I lived in Amherst, in a crappy duplex run by a crappy management company. I'm happy to be out of there. I survived the October Storm there and happily helped my neighbors by giving them power from my generator and helping pump out a few basements. But in general I found the people there to be a bit unfriendly, not anything like the rest of the WNY population. No offense to you if you live there and somehow don't fit the Amherst stereotype, but they seem to be in their own little world there. I'm happy to be gone from there.

Anyway...

I think the only time I've ever actually eaten at an IHOP was when I was doing some contract work down in Memphis a few years ago. I wasn't impressed.
    Last edited by justKel; April 16th, 2008 at 09:15 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by justKel
    Dumbfounded, ROFLMAO! I lived in Amherst, in a crappy duplex run by a crappy management company. I'm happy to be out of there. I survived the October Storm there and happily helped my neighbors by giving them power from my generator and helping pump out a few basements. But in general I found the people there to be a bit unfriendly, not anything like the rest of the WNY population. No offense to you if you live there and somehow don't fit the Amherst stereotype, but they seem to be in their own little world there. I'm happy to be gone from there.

Anyway...

I think the only time I've ever actually eaten at an IHOP was when I was doing some contract work down in Memphis a few years ago. I wasn't impressed.
    I lived in SNYDER (God smiles) for nearly two years and I never knew so many people were walking around with sticks up their asses and their noses high in the air

Miserable, condescending, snooty, elitist, two-faced smug pampered perverts and drug addicts.

Yuppie trash with spoiled, over-protected tweens and punks!!!

BACK ON TOPIC:

I can SEE how something like the IHOP incident occured because there ARE a lot of mentally unstable people in AMHERST

(trumpets blare as Gabriel the Angel descends upon Snyder Square, declaring, "this great town, AMHERST is under my protection and woe be the poor soul who dares sully this perfect world in which my lord's children dwell!!!")

Then Gabriel ascends back into the sky as the good citizens of AMHERST wave farewell to Gabriel,
    one of Amherst's (GASP!) guardian angels

MOST of these mentally unstable suburbanites are white collar professionals (no lie)

If you've eaten at an IHOP in TENNESEE of all places,
    DIDN'T EVERY CUSTOMER HAVE A GUN ON THEM with some customers sharing tables & booths with their bloodhounds?

You'd think in the South that it was NORMAL to bring your guns into resturants, churches, weddings, funerals

Enough talk about inbred rednecks!

I'm going to check the web for info on this crazy IHOP shotgun incident in AMHERST!!!!
    (the earth quakes as the skies darken and it begins to hail, rain, thunder and lightening across Western New York-EXCEPT for AMHERST, always sunny and happy...AMHERST:God's country...)

Emma Bull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information