Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: New York State Disability Retirement System

4 Lancaster doctors must pay $50,000 to state.
    The doctors were outside contractors who provided services to the Lancaster school system but were listed as employees thus erroneously in the pension system.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/527585.html

It makes you wonder what other contracted services are or were provided to schools that has or had contractors listed as employees.

Good job, Cuomo.

Now Mr. Como has to look into the NYSRS (disability) the IMS's are contracted services and so are the law judges that hear the hearings. Are they into the pension system also? May be some of them the political ones I'm sure. My letter went out today to Mr. Como today.

Quote Originally Posted by zinger View Post
    4 Lancaster doctors must pay $50,000 to state.
    The doctors were outside contractors who provided services to the Lancaster school system but were listed as employees thus erroneously in the pension system.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/527585.html

It makes you wonder what other contracted services are or were provided to schools that has or had contractors listed as employees.

Good job, Cuomo.

Now Mr. Como has to look into the NYSRS (disability) the IMS's are contracted services and so are the law judges that hear the hearings. Are they into the pension system also? May be some of them the political ones I'm sure. My letter went out today to Mr. Como today.

Four Lancaster doctors are paying the state $50,000 for abusing the state’s pension system and being improperly listed as public employees of the Lancaster Central School District, Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo announced Thursday.

As part of a widening investigation of doctors who provide services to public entities, Cuomo said he will attempt to determine whether 102 additional physicians across the state — and 10 others in Western New York — may be guilty of the same offense.

The four physicians from Lancaster Depew Pediatrics who provided services to Lancaster schools did so as outside contractors, and they were therefore ineligible for pension credits reserved for public employees, the attorney general said.

“New Yorkers are fed up with the systemic corruption constantly hitting them in their wallets,” Cuomo said.

“This is yet another example of taxpayer dollars too easily slipping through the cracks and into the hands of those not entitled to them.”

The Lancaster physicians are Drs. Michael D. Terranova, Mark D. Bezbatchenko, Elizabeth Davis and Michael D. Rabice.

School Superintendent Edward J. Myszka painted a picture of the four doctors that is in stark contrast to Cuomo’s description.

“They are all honorable individuals, and we continue to have a relationship with these practitioners,” he said.

Myszka said he first became aware of the attorney general’s probe when a questionnaire arrived in the district’s mail last spring. He answered it promptly and said he had heard nothing about it since, until The Buffalo News called Thursday asking about a news release on the doctors’ settlement from Cuomo’s office.

Asked what services the four doctors provided to the district, Myszka said they involved school physicals for student athletes; assistance to athletes during varsity and junior varsity football games; pre-employment physicals for teachers, administrators and civil service employees; tenure physicals for teachers; physicals for bus drivers; and physicals for students at certain grade levels.

At various times between 1985 and 2006, all four doctors from Lancaster Depew Pediatrics were listed as “employees” of the Lancaster Central School District and received employee benefits such as health insurance and pension credits that are ordinarily reserved for actual public employees.

Under the settlement announced Thursday, the doctors will collectively pay the state $50,000 and forfeit any pension system credits accrued as well as any employee contributions made into the pension system. The four are to repay $25,000 this month, $15,000 by next December and the remaining $10,000 by December 2010.

In 2006, the district increased the doctors’ compensation to $42,000, removed all of them from the payroll, ceased providing health insurance and ended the practice of reporting the doctors to the retirement system as “employees.”

Asked why this was done, Myszka told The News that “the board decided the district’s [previous practices were] not fiscally responsible and to just pay the doctors a flat fee.”

A spokesman in Cuomo’s office said the attorney general is looking into dozens of other arrangements that could be illegal. Of those, 10 are in Western New York: one each in Erie County, Orleans and Wyoming counties, three in Cattaraugus and four in Chautauqua.

on the question:

If you find out that your Doctor that is treating you is also an IME in your area. Is this a good thing or Bad ? This happens all the time,

as this is your treating physican...he cannot function as an IME in your claim...regardless of the side the IME is partial to, the doctor must be one that has not treated you previously, or have even been used to provide second opinions to a requested treatment....these are med/legal evaluations used to settle disputed medical issues
    ------------------
    I cannot say this enough these ime's are not your friend , say very little to them when being seen. They work for the i-c and the state, as you read in the last post some of these doctors are contracted out and are trying to get in the state pension system. I would like to know how many of these guy's are in the system getting there pensions from the state and also screwing the i-w not good.

There are 2 types of IME doctors...one is an Insurance Medical Evaluation...obviously, most of those aren't going to be prone to providing a favorable report on the IW's condition...more to the benefit of the ER/IC would be the rule...

The other IME is an Independent Medical Evaluator...usually these are names of doctors provide by the state Dept of Workers Compensation.... and are supposed to be impartial to the IW/IC... and most are.
    What you find with all IME's though are the same traits you find with people in general, they will have opinions that tend to sway to one side or the other... that's human nature, same as being a Democrat or Republican...the severity of the side the doctor sways to is more important...

While everything in WC is to be based on medical evidence...there will always be a 'paid whore' somewhere to muddy the waters... when that happens, the disputed issue ends up in front of a judge/moderator...

This from a disabled Vietnam Vet. As the feds continue to fight people like this and this state continues to fight the injured worker.

The American fighting force left Vietnam in 1972. We did not leave because we were losing in Vietnam by any stretch of the imagination. If we lost anything it was the support of the United States Government that sent us over there and the United States civilians who sat securely at home in a "Free Country" cursing the American fighting force. Cursing the very people that would be the first to die to protect their freedom and their right to act like morons. To all of you who hid in colleges and ran to Canada, you will never understand what it means to be a winner in the defense of our country, our freedoms, our way of life. You will never know what true honor and courage is or understand why we offered our lives for what we believe in.
    We were not even in Vietnam in 1975 when the soldiers of the Army of South Vietnam threw down their weapons, stripped off their uniforms and ran from their duty.
    Where were you in 1965 - 1972? I know where the true hero's of our country were.
    It is not the President or Congress or the fat cat politicians that insure our freedom. It is the American Fighting man and woman that won your freedom to start with and keeps you free today.
    Mike Hodges Rat Pack "38"

I would just like to wish a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone that reads the posts and all the injured and disabled workers that have contacted me. Also the disabled vets and men and women in our armed services .God Bless America. Semper Fi

Christmas Poem

IT 'WAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS,
    HE LIVED ALL ALONE,
    IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF
    PLASTERAND STONE.

I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY
    WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE,
    AND TO SEE JUST WHO
    IN THIS HOME DID LIVE.

I LOOKED ALL ABOUT,
    A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE,
    NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS,
    NOT EVEN A TREE.

NO STOCKING BY MANTLE,
    JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND,
    ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES
    OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.

WITH MEDALS AND BADGES,
    AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,
    A SOBER THOUGHT
    CAME THROUGH MY MIND.

FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT,
    IT WAS DARK AND DREARY,
    I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER,
    ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY.

THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING,
    SILENT, ALONE,
    CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR
    IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.

THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE,
    THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER,
    NOT HOW I PICTURED
    A UNITED STATES SOLDIER.

WAS THIS THE HERO
    OF WHOM I'D JUST READ?
    CURLED UP ON A PONCHO,
    THE FLOOR FOR A BED?

I REALIZED THE FAMILIES
    THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT,
    OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS
    WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.

SOON ROUND THE WORLD,
    THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY,
    AND GROWN-UPS WOULD CELEBRATE
    A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.

THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM
    EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR,
    BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS,
    LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.

I COULDN'T HELP WONDER
    HOW MANY LAY ALONE,
    ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE
    IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.

THE VERY THOUGHT
    BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE,
    I DROPPED TO MY KNEES
    AND STARTED TO CRY.

THE SOLDIER AWAKENED
    AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE,
    'SANTA DON'T CRY,
    THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE;

I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM,
    I DON'T ASK FOR MORE,
    MY LIFE IS MY GOD,
    MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS.'

THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER
    AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP,
    I COULDN'T CONTROL IT,
    I CONTINUED TO WEEP.

I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS,
    SO SILENT AND STILL
    AND WE BOTH SHIVERED
    FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL.

I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE
    ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT,
    THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR
    SO WILLING TO FIGHT.

THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,
    WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE,
    WHISPERED, 'CARRY ON SANTA,
    IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE.'

ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH,
    AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT.
    'MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND,!
    AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.'

This poem was written by a Marine.

Amen semper-fi Merry christmas to you!

Merry Christmas. I cannot thank you enough for all your help. God Bless you and your family.

Merry Christmas. "Semper Fi"! To all disabled vets and all our Troops.

Zing keep on these useless politicians!

This was an injured worker that had back surgery and did not file a wc claim when he was injured at work. This happens all the time if you get hurt you must file the C-2 (you have 10 days to file from the day you were injured) so your injury is on record with the comp board. So many injured workers ignore this for many reasons one thinking they will be fired from their job. That is bull! So many i-w report back to work with restrictions and employers will ignore them. Like this person being a good joe is now in a bad position.

When I had my back surgery I did not file WC. I should have but I decided not to. I went with the long term dis. that my company offered and I paid for. Yes I was put on restrictions and my company ignored them and now 1 1/2 years later my back is horrible. I am just new to this and it seems it takes forever to even get a paycheck from WC.
    From the time my employer put me off work till I got a wc hearing was 10 months. That was a month ago now and I still don't have an answer. Remember nothing goes fast except the money you have to live on.

Sounds like they may try to deny it and say it is your problem. But then like I said before most companies just don't like people filing wc claims. Without filing the first time you may have a fight on your hands, which will mean no wc checks until you get a lawyer and get a hearing.

This was an injured worker that had back surgery and did not file a wc claim when he was injured at work. This happens all the time if you get hurt you must file the C-2 (you have 10 days to file from the day you were injured) so your injury is on record with the comp board. So many injured workers ignore this for many reasons one thinking they will be fired from their job. That is bull! So many i-w report back to work with restrictions and employers will ignore them. Like this person being a good joe is now in a bad position.

When I had my back surgery I did not file WC. I should have but I decided not to. I went with the long term dis. that my company offered and I paid for. Yes I was put on restrictions and my company ignored them and now 1 1/2 years later my back is horrible. I am just new to this and it seems it takes forever to even get a paycheck from WC.
    From the time my employer put me off work till I got a wc hearing was 10 months. That was a month ago now and I still don't have an answer. Remember nothing goes fast except the money you have to live on.

Sounds like they may try to deny it and say it is your problem. But then like I said before most companies just don't like people filing wc claims. Without filing the first time you may have a fight on your hands, which will mean no wc checks until you get a lawyer and get a hearing.
    Actually, you have 30 days to notify your supervisor that you were hurt. Then, according to the law, you have up to 2 years from the date of injury to file the C-3 with Workers Comp. Both of these requirements are the "sole" responsibility of the injured worker. Doing all that... you are covered.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Zinger, I hope you have an attorney

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Zinger, I hope you have an attorney
    Thanks for the information but I thought the c-2 had ten days to file.

The last post I posted was from an injured workerd from the Albany area he emailed me that story and I posted it, I should of clarified that better.

An Injured worker from the Albany area:

Thanks for the information but I thought the c-2 had ten days to file.
    Actually, according to the law, You have up to thirty (30) days to notify your supervisor of a work-related injury.

The C-2 form you speak about is the form that your employer must file within ten (10) days of learning of the accident. Don't be concerned if your employer fails to meet its obligation to file the C-2.

The C-3 form must be completed by the injured worker and submitted t the WC Board within two (2) years following the accident.

The C-4 form must be filed by the attending doctor. This form must be filed within two (2) days of initial treatment.

Failure to timely file a C-3 or give the employer timely notice may result in the loss of the Workers Compensation benefits. So 30 days notice to your employer and 2 years to file with WCB. Both of these are requirements are soley the responsibility of the injured worker.

An Injured worker from the Albany area:

Sounds like with the claim there was a was disbute. Or more commonly known as "controverted." Hopefully there was an attorney involved. Under the law, if a claim is controverted, no cash benefits or medical care costs are paid until the Workers Comp Law Judge issues a favorable decision.

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread Information