Thread: Google Gmail PC Back-UP

Question Google Gmail PC Back-UP

I used to be able to back-up my PC to a Google Gmail account as they have like several (6+ ?) gigs of storage space on their "drive" . It seems like I can't do "it" anymore , I liked using it as it was utilizing their storage & saving my external hard drive storage , thusly not slowing down my PC one bit.............. Anyone here know if they (Google) finally caught-on & has somehow stopped the process ?
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

anyones neighbor
    I have an account there as well however when I try to access it, it always says Loading is taking much longer than necessary for 0% of 6616 MB. I just don't go there anymore. I USED to have an email there and it was fine but now, Forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by winfield31
    I used to be able to back-up my PC to a Google Gmail account as they have like several (6+ ?) gigs of storage space on their "drive" . It seems like I can't do "it" anymore , I liked using it as it was utilizing their storage & saving my external hard drive storage , thusly not slowing down my PC one bit.............. Anyone here know if they (Google) finally caught-on & has somehow stopped the process ?

What kind of error are you receiving?

Are you using a specific program to mount it as a drive? Or just saving as attachments? (OS: windows xp, mac 10.5, vista?)

Quote Originally Posted by buff14202
    What kind of error are you receiving?

Are you using a specific program to mount it as a drive? Or just saving as attachments? (OS: windows xp, mac 10.5, vista?)
    "Windows XP-PRO" , I don't receive an "error" message , it just won't "back-up" anymore like it used to , & I have several "Gmail" accounts , all with 6 gig of storage.............in "My Computer" , my hard drives are "C" , "S" , & "Z" (for Z-Back-up) , then in "other" it shows my "Gmail Drive"............just won't "allow" you do back-up , as anyones neighbor wrote , it just shows 0% of XXX gig..downloaded & just stays that way..........no movement at all..........no big deal , I was just told that Google stopped allowing people to use the e-mail accounts to back-up their PC's & that's cool...........we were wrong to use their e-mail which was free & still is with over 6 gig of storage space to back-up our PC's.............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

sounds like you're using the gmail drive tool. I have it too but rarely use it. In fact it's so in frequent that I have to update it almost every time I use it.

From what I know google doesn't like that this tool exists and tweaks their system to break it, and the programmer then fixes it and releases a new version

Try installing the latest version from here
    http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

the data itself should still be accessible if you log into your gmail account directly. At least for me the few files I uploaded using gmail drive show up as attachments on emails within my account.

It's probably been close to a year since I last used my gmail account to store anything so things may have changed

I also wouldn't store anything on there that I wouldn't mind other people reading unless it's highly encrypted since a shady google employee in the right department could probably access the data
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Quote Originally Posted by sharky
    sounds like you're using the gmail drive tool. I have it too but rarely use it. In fact it's so in frequent that I have to update it almost every time I use it.

From what I know google doesn't like that this tool exists and tweaks their system to break it, and the programmer then fixes it and releases a new version

Try installing the latest version from here
    http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

the data itself should still be accessible if you log into your gmail account directly. At least for me the few files I uploaded using gmail drive show up as attachments on emails within my account.

It's probably been close to a year since I last used my gmail account to store anything so things may have changed

I also wouldn't store anything on there that I wouldn't mind other people reading unless it's highly encrypted since a shady google employee in the right department could probably access the data
    thanks sharky , I'll give it a whirl............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Thread Information