Thread: Dem Chair McCracken

Dem Chair McCracken

Does anyone know how long Terry McCracken has been the Town Democratic Chairman?

Apple, I am not sure but I think he has been the chair for at least 16 years. He is now running for the Erie County Legislature.

The article in the Source regarding McCracken seeking the Erie County Legislative seat was interesting to me on a few points.

1. He is citing the need for energetic leadership~~if he runs the district the way he runs his Parks Department job, it is not energetic--since the parks and bike path are in the worst condition we have seen it--I wonder what he means by "energetic?"

2. Of course the endorsement of the Conservative party~~is this an oxy moran? Democrat & Conervative--polar opposites..

3. "More than ever I am convinced that the hard working people of this district are committed to common sense leadership that will create bipartisan solutions to the problems we face." by McCracken...interesting about the common sense aspect of his campaign--he uses "mafia" style tactics---I guess that is why he is flying around the "bipartisan" word---vote for me or else....

3. McCracken wants to "stand up for the taxpayers" WOW, if that is a line for the dogs. How does he plan on doing that? He is wasting our tax dollars by doing nothing...wasteful spending by utilizing poor management at the Parks level...like the Senior Citizen's ---we pay to keep the facility clean, but it isn't clean--the senior's are stating it is dirty....

4. ..."while delivering the county services they deserve..." yup that's right if we vote him in, we get the government we deserve...

5. His appeal to reform and limit borrowing and work for efficient delivery of services...ummm ok----the slate really speaks for itself.

I want to ask why it states in the paper that McCracken is Town Department Manager? He is the General Crew Chief of the Parks, Recreation, Forestry & Building's --He makes a salary of $73,571.00 --pretty good --and part time Leg position at about $40,000.00 Hmmm.

---------------
    Then I get to the "steam" part of the paper and read the one by "Resident of Fourth Avenue" talking about how the parks ride around doing nothing instead of cutting the grass. Isn't that McCracken's job?

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples View Post
    Does anyone know how long Terry McCracken has been the Town Democratic Chairman?
    he has been dem chair way too long

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    The article in the Source regarding McCracken seeking the Erie County Legislative seat was interesting to me on a few points.

1. He is citing the need for energetic leadership~~if he runs the district the way he runs his Parks Department job, it is not energetic--since the parks and bike path are in the worst condition we have seen it--I wonder what he means by "energetic?"

2. Of course the endorsement of the Conservative party~~is this an oxy moran? Democrat & Conervative--polar opposites..

3. "More than ever I am convinced that the hard working people of this district are committed to common sense leadership that will create bipartisan solutions to the problems we face." by McCracken...interesting about the common sense aspect of his campaign--he uses "mafia" style tactics---I guess that is why he is flying around the "bipartisan" word---vote for me or else....

3. McCracken wants to "stand up for the taxpayers" WOW, if that is a line for the dogs. How does he plan on doing that? He is wasting our tax dollars by doing nothing...wasteful spending by utilizing poor management at the Parks level...like the Senior Citizen's ---we pay to keep the facility clean, but it isn't clean--the senior's are stating it is dirty....

4. ..."while delivering the county services they deserve..." yup that's right if we vote him in, we get the government we deserve...

5. His appeal to reform and limit borrowing and work for efficient delivery of services...ummm ok----the slate really speaks for itself.

I want to ask why it states in the paper that McCracken is Town Department Manager? He is the General Crew Chief of the Parks, Recreation, Forestry & Building's --He makes a salary of $73,571.00 --pretty good --and part time Leg position at about $40,000.00 Hmmm.

---------------
    Then I get to the "steam" part of the paper and read the one by "Resident of Fourth Avenue" talking about how the parks ride around doing nothing instead of cutting the grass. Isn't that McCracken's job?

Unfortunately I am hearing the same about the poor quality of work and conditions at the parks, bike path and senior center.

However, there are other statements in the report that I find more oxymoronic. As long-time Democratic Party Chairman in the Town of Lancaster he greatly influences the direction the town takes. McCracken states he wants to wants to build an environment that:

1. Fosters economic growth and creates jobs

Lancaster has been an example of such growth and job creation, yet we see our taxes continue to grow and new and/or old businesses reeking the benefits of IDA corporate welfare handouts at taxpayer expense.

2. Standing up for the taxpayers and providing (efficient) services they deserve

In addition to the shoddy conditions you already mentioned, I can attest first hand to the poor condition of our remaining library. The roof is leaking and has been for some time. I was at the library last week and not only were some walls wet, but the carpeting as well. As Buildings Director, it is my understanding Mr. McCracken is responsible for getting the roof repaired.

3. Preserving our library system

The Lancaster Library was constructed in 1975 and had the carpeting replaced in 1993. It is time for the carpeting to be replaced. There are tears and other flaws that could very well lead to tripping accidents. It is my understanding the project would cost $35,000, but that there is no money in the budget.

In the 2010 budget, the Lancaster Library budget was bumped up by 354%, from $9,000 a year to $35,000. It remains at $35,000 in the 2012 budget. The building and its maintenance is the town’s responsibility. The town has spent $3.2 million for Town Hall reconstruction/renovation, will spend close to $14 million for the police/courts project, and $106,000 for the OEM Building (which should have remained open instead of the Lancaster Building) and the town is nickel and diming a project that provides excellent community service.

4. Create bipartisan solutions and work for reform

As Lancaster Democratic Party Chair, in a town where all three boards (Town/Planning/Zoning) are filled with Democrats and where the status quo can politically be best exemplified, this is indeed a stretch. Oxymoronic, you bet!

We know well of Mr. McCracken, we have yet to hear from Mr. Cole.

Lee, you brought up a good point regarding the Library. I love visiting the Library and using the services they provide. Not only do they conduct classes such as exercising, children's venue and computer access that otherwise is unavailable ~~really shows a necessary service to our community.

I also agree that if Terry McCracken is responsible for caring for the building, then what is going on here. I would definitely want my tax dollars going to the Library and it's maintenance.

But your statement about nickle & diming a project that provides excellent community service is our reality.

Also, bipartisanship when the boards enlist all democrat's!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't Terry McCrackern's wife on the Planning board?

Does anyone know if McCracken plans on retaining his town job? If he does, I believe he will be in violation of Federal Law, specifically the Hatch Act. This law established standards for government employees and among other things, running and being elected to a political office on a major ticket, such as Republican or Democrat. This law pertains to any government that receives any Federal funding.

Seems to me if you take the politics out of this, why would someone want a job for 43-45,000 dollars when he is already making close to 80,000 with the town.

Quote Originally Posted by TTDeathInLan View Post
    Does anyone know if McCracken plans on retaining his town job? If he does, I believe he will be in violation of Federal Law, specifically the Hatch Act. This law established standards for government employees and among other things, running and being elected to a political office on a major ticket, such as Republican or Democrat. This law pertains to any government that receives any Federal funding.

Seems to me if you take the politics out of this, why would someone want a job for 43-45,000 dollars when he is already making close to 80,000 with the town.
    Many of us are wondering the same. Why indeed take a $43,000 job if you have to give up a $70,000+ job. Most likely it does not past the sniff test (conflict of interest), but whether it is legal in today's corrupt political world, who knows?

Nice find, TTD. If I understand what I read on the Hatch Act, Mr McCracken as an appointed crew chief (local municipal employee) would be prohibited from running for elected office if he is covered under the Hatch Act. Mr McCracken would be covered under the Hatch Act, if as a normal and foreseeable incident of his principal position or job, he performs duties in connection with an activity financed in whole or in part by federal funds. So are there any Federal grants or loans associated with the town parks, Heritage trail or senior center or any of McCracken's duties?

Heritage Bike Path-
    The Project consists of the following contracts: Heritage Trail Bike Path – Contract No. 18.
    The project involves construction of a new trail facility, excavation, clearing and grubbing, landscape amenities and drainage improvements.
    This Contract will be funded wholly or partially with Federal funds
    Sec. 1502. Influencing elections; taking part in political campaigns; prohibitions; exceptions
    (a) A State or local officer or employee may not
    (1) use his official authority or influence for the purpose of interfering with or affecting the result of an election or a nomination for office;
    (2) directly or indirectly coerce, attempt to coerce, command, or advise a State or local officer or employee to pay, lend, or contribute anything of value to a party, committee, organization, agency, or person for political purposes; or
    (3) be a candidate for elective office.
    As far as the County goes, there is nothing stating any disqualification for holding an appointed town salaried position. As far as the Hatch Act, I did some reading on the subject but I honestly don't understand how it pertains to this situation.

Section 202.1. Qualifications and eligibility of county legislators. At the time of nomination or appointment and throughout the term of office, each county legislator shall be a duly qualified elector of the legislative district from which he or she is elected. A county legislator shall not hold any other salaried elective public office during his or her tenure.

Georgia L Schlager

TTD, interesting find. I went on the site and found that federal, county employees that are covered un the Hatch Act cannot run or organize under this Act.

Here is the Hatch Act Unit telephone number if someone wants to inquire: 1-800-854-2824 or 1-202-254-3650 or you can email: hatchact@osc.gov

Some should look at this, Terry is Democratic Chair and Parks Crew Manager...that job is paid by who????????

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    TTD, interesting find. I went on the site and found that federal, county employees that are covered un the Hatch Act cannot run or organize under this Act.

Here is the Hatch Act Unit telephone number if someone wants to inquire: 1-800-854-2824 or 1-202-254-3650 or you can email: hatchact@osc.gov

Some should look at this, Terry is Democratic Chair and Parks Crew Manager...that job is paid by who????????
    If a person is covered by the Hatch Act, they can still be a candidate for a political committee.
    From an advisory of the US Office of Special Counsel-
    Even if you are an employee covered by the provisions of the Hatch Act, the Hatch
    Act would not prohibit you from being a candidate for the Xxxxxxxx County Democratic
    Committee.
    http://www.osc.gov/documents/hatchac...HA-10-1856.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Since the Town of Lancaster received 46.7 acres of Federal land for Walden Pond Park wouldn't Mr McCracken in his position as General Crew Chief be supervising park workers at Walden Pond Park constitute him as being covered under the Hatch Act?

Georgia L Schlager

Read everything at OSC's website pertaining to state and local employees. McCracken is part of the Town's executive branch, appointed by the town supervisor with approval of the town board. He, himself and his duties as whatever for the town is a moot point. The issue is that the town does indeed receive various federal funds.

I did not state that McCracken was in violation of any county restrictions. If you look at the local political picture, why do you think that we have have all these little no name political parties that everyone is associated with? The answer is to not be in violation of the Hatch Act, which only pertains to major parties with had a line on the last national elections. This is how know democrats, republicans, conservatives, etc get elected to village positions, without being in violation of this act. Example-the good government party.

Read everything at OSC's website pertaining to state and local employees. McCracken is part of the Town's executive branch, appointed by the town supervisor with approval of the town board. He, himself and his duties as whatever for the town is a moot point. The issue is that the town does indeed receive various federal funds.

I did not state that McCracken was in violation of any county restrictions. If you look at the local political picture, why do you think that we have have all these little no name political parties that everyone is associated with? The answer is to not be in violation of the Hatch Act, which only pertains to major parties with had a line on the last national elections. This is how know democrats, republicans, conservatives, etc get elected to village positions, without being in violation of this act. Example-the good government party.
    I guess that I misunderstood what I read.

State and Local Employees

The Hatch Act restricts the political activity of individuals principally employed by state or local executive agencies and who work in connection with
    programs financed in whole or in part by federal loans or grants.
    There was an advisory opinion regarding a police chief's coverage by the Hatch Act. He was covered due to federal monies used for programs in the police department of which he supervised. I thought a police chief would be on the same level of the organizational chart as the park's crew chief.
    According to the NYS Dept of State Local Governement Handbook, there is no executive branch in town government.
    Executive Leadership
    Supervisor. The Town Law does not provide for a
    separate executive branch of town government. Because
    the supervisor occupies the leader’s position on the town
    board, and because town residents often turn to the supervisor
    with their problems, many people think the
    supervisor’s position is the executive position of town
    government. But the supervisor is part of the legislative
    branch and acts as a member and presiding officer of the
    town board. He or she acts as a full member of the board,
    voting on all questions and having no additional tie-breaking
    or veto power.
    The supervisor is more of an administrator than an executive.
    The supervisor’s duties under law are to: act as
    treasurer and have care and custody of monies belonging
    to the town; disburse monies; keep an accurate and complete
    account of all monies; make reports as required;
    pay fixed salaries and other claims; and lease, sell, and
    convey properties of the town, when so directed by the
    town board.
    The county thing wasn't in response to you. It was just for those who may have thought McCracken couldn't hold down the 2 government jobs.

I won't be voting for McCracken or Cole who admitted and was censured for getting drunk and doing a sleepover with a student intern. Is there any 3rd party candidate?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I guess that I misunderstood what I read.

I won't be voting for McCracken or Cole who admitted and was censured for getting drunk and doing a sleepover with a student intern. Is there any 3rd party candidate?
    To my knowledge, there is no third party candidate.

Thread Information