Thread: Going fishing on Lake Erie supplies needed

Going fishing on Lake Erie supplies needed

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-fishing_N.htm

Planning on fishing in Lake Erie there is a few extra supplies that you will need.

Fishing Pole
    Bait
    Sinkers
    Fishing license
    Passport!!!!!

Now it is not Ok that you pay the state to fish you need a passport to go fishing. Whats next your iris scan, DNA, fingerprint, urine sample, blood sample, stool sample.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he has to get a fishing license, a passport, report the catch to the Department of Environmental Conservation, get a open fire permit so he can cook the fish, report the fish as income to the state Department of Taxation and the IRS, and ......
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

I question the assertion that the fishing is best in Canadian waters. As an avid lake fisherman, I can tell you that there are plenty of good fishing areas on this side of the border.

I usually catch my limit of walleye just off Bethlehem Steel during the early months and then off Sturgeon Point later on in the summer as fish go deeper.

I do not intend to bring muy passport ! This USA today article is BS.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

So now I need to a bigger water proof pouch for my wallet and my passport. Not that I've ever fallen in the water or anything like that.

I rarely ever fished in Lake Erie but rather the lower Niagara River and Lake Ontario. Do these rules apply only to charter fishing vessels or private vessels as well ... you know, Grandpa and Grandson out for a few hours of family fun time? On the river, it's very easy to cross into Canadian waters and not even know it. Rules of the water are much the same as that of the road - bear to the right. If you're heading upriver, that will inevitably cause you to cross into Canadian waters at some point. What a pain these new rules are going to be if every boater has to carry the passport/enhanced license and do the video call-in thing. Imgaine the wait time to do the calls during boating season. Where is their common sense?

The Big Bang Theory: God Spoke and BANG! it happened.

Where is their common sense?
    About halfway from the small boat harbor and Point Abino is an international marker buoy. That's where I fish (right on the border), and in over 25 outings last year, I have yet to see an Fisheries or Border Patrol boat even close.

The Niagara R is another story, but I'm guessing that 'common sense' will prevail here. Even crossing the Peace Bridge doesn't require a passport until 2009 at the earliest, unless they push that date back again. Not to worry !
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan
    About halfway from the small boat harbor and Point Abino is an international marker buoy. That's where I fish (right on the border), and in over 25 outings last year, I have yet to see an Fisheries or Border Patrol boat even close.

The Niagara R is another story, but I'm guessing that 'common sense' will prevail here. Even crossing the Peace Bridge doesn't require a passport until 2009 at the earliest, unless they push that date back again. Not to worry !

From the Turn Buoy, is that international marker buoy the first buoy seen?

From the Turn Buoy, is that international marker buoy the first buoy seen?
    I am pretty sure that it is. That's based on magnetic bearings I have used as well as google earth. There is no other buoy anywhere near that spot, so I think it must be the international marker. At any rate, I try to stay on the US side of it. If you go to the buoy and shoot a course halfway between Sturgeon Point and Point Abino, you will be straddling the border.

I haven't gone fishing in a loooooooooooong time. Sure do miss it.

The Big Bang Theory: God Spoke and BANG! it happened.

Huge Lake Trout and decent size Steelhead are all over the river right around the Peace Bridge off the breakwall .

Decent size bass at the turtle pond in Tonawanda. Catch & Release!!!!

The boom is out and the ice is flowing down the river. In about 2 weeks I will try to get out onto the lake and try my luck. When does walleye season open ? Water tem is 40 degrees.

Thread Information