Thread: Paternit Testing

Paternit Testing

It is insane what we have to go through just to get a paternity test done in NY.

Doctor Prescription/Lawyers Note....and on average after all of that, we end up paying almost 300.00 more than anyone else in the country.

Only in NY would they want to encourage deadbeat fathers by imposing such stupid regulations.

Explain to me why needing a prescription for this is necessary. WTF.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Hmmm ... sounds like somebody has intimate knowledge of the process. Have you had to have paternity tests in other states than NY?

Okay ...I was just wondering where you came up with this info since it's not something that's well known by John Q Public. However, where does it say it's going to cost $300 more in NY? What the article says is that the home paternity test costs $29-39 plus $119 more to get it processed -- and it's not admissable in court. That seems to me to say that it's going to cost you $150 or more to get this home-made test done, and then, another bunch of $$$ to get a legally acceptable one.

As for the NYS law, I think it's on the books because there needs to be both a prospective father and a child available for a paternity test. Now, I don't know about you, but I have issues with somebody taking DNA samples from a baby/child without some bonafide reason. It's part of the idea of medical privacy. Home pregnancy tests tell whether a woman is pregnant or not but don't identify the woman by her DNA, and certainly don't identify her child.

On the matter of dead-beat dads, I would say almost all cases of "dead beat dads" have nothing to do with disputed paternity since that's already been established before the "dad" was ordered to pay child support. If a guy doesn't think he's the dad, that's when he should object. The problem is that "deadbeat dads" can't or won't pay for their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    Okay ...I was just wondering where you came up with this info since it's not something that's well known by John Q Public. However, where does it say it's going to cost $300 more in NY? What the article says is that the home paternity test costs $29-39 plus $119 more to get it processed -- and it's not admissable in court. That seems to me to say that it's going to cost you $150 or more to get this home-made test done, and then, another bunch of $$$ to get a legally acceptable one.

As for the NYS law, I think it's on the books because there needs to be both a prospective father and a child available for a paternity test. Now, I don't know about you, but I have issues with somebody taking DNA samples from a baby/child without some bonafide reason. It's part of the idea of medical privacy. Home pregnancy tests tell whether a woman is pregnant or not but don't identify the woman by her DNA, and certainly don't identify her child.

On the matter of dead-beat dads, I would say almost all cases of "dead beat dads" have nothing to do with disputed paternity since that's already been established before the "dad" was ordered to pay child support. If a guy doesn't think he's the dad, that's when he should object. The problem is that "deadbeat dads" can't or won't pay for their kids.
    I agree, but having to get a prescription? These labs have confidentiality requirements anyway. You just have to know where you're going.

Okay, I'm having an issue where I need to know if I'm the father of a child. That's where this is coming from. I've been researching the best way to do this. After I startted this thread, I did some more research, and came to the conclusion that even though I don't agree with New York's stance, I do agree that going into a hospital lab to have this done is the most accurate method.
    Therefore, that's what I will do. However, the law should change, because I do believe that it might cause more problems than it prevents.

It's going to cost me 400 dollars, and I don't think that's too bad. Other companies I called were 500-600, or more.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    Today, 10:56 AM
    Was there a half day of school today?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    Was there a half day of school today?

No. Lunch.

Thread Information