Thread: Kuhl, Massa considering series of debates - Catt. Co. &29th Dist.

Post Kuhl, Massa considering series of debates - Catt. Co. &29th Dist.

U.S. Rep. John R. “Randy” Kuhl Jr., said on Thursday he was receptive to debates in each of 29th Congressional District’s eight counties, but said it is too early to talk about now.

Democrat Eric Massa of Corning, Rep. Kuhl’s likely opponent in the November election, called for at least one debate in each county in a telephone press conference earlier this week.

“I look forward to debates as I have in the past as the schedule allows,” Rep. Kuhl said. “I don’t see anything to preclude that.”

Rep. Kuhl, R-Hammondsport, told reporters Thursday, “At this point we are just starting to organize the campaign. The major hurdle ahead of us is to get a sufficient number of legal signatures” on nominating petitions. Not knowing whether he or Mr. Massa will face a September primary, talk of debates is premature, he added.

Nominating petitions begin circulating in early June. There are currently no other announced candidates in the 29th District.

Mr. Massa, a retired naval commander who came within 2 percentage points of defeating Rep. Kuhl in the 2006 election, said Wednesday: “I will accommodate his (Kuhl’s) schedule. I will set up venues Friday nights, Saturdays and Sunday afternoons.”

Mr. Massa said he wasn’t challenging Rep. Kuhl to debate.

“This is the selection process of who will represent the 29th Congressional District,” he said. “There should be at least one (debate) per county. I will make it as convenient as possible for Rep. Kuhl.”

Mr. Massa was critical of the congressman’s recently announced town meeting format, saying closed-door meetings with constituents in town halls do not satisfy that requirement.

Previously, Rep. Kuhl held brief town meetings in each town in the congressional district. He told reporters the new format is in response to some people who came to the meetings hoping for confidentiality in their discussions.

Rep. Kuhl said the new format will allow people wishing to speak at one of his town office meetings to be screened by his staff who can “deal with issues right on site,” rather than have to go to the Bath office, or to a part-time office in Olean for assistance.

“We’ll see how it works out,” he said.

He denied the new system was being instituted in response to Iraq war protesters who turned up at some meetings last year.

He denied the new system was being instituted in response to Iraq war protesters who turned up at some meetings last year.

“Some people come in an attempt to really disrupt me and disrupt people who want to discuss other things,” Rep. Kuhl said. “We may have to modify if again.”

Mr. Massa said, “Randy Kuhl owes it to the people of this district the opportunity to get their questions answered. Closed-door office meetings do not satisfy those requirements. Why are his town hall meetings 30 minutes long in the middle of the day when he knows no one will be there?”

Quote Originally Posted by gonerail

U.S. Rep. John R. “Randy” Kuhl Jr., said on Thursday he was receptive to debates in each of 29th Congressional District’s eight counties, but said it is too early to talk about now.

Democrat Eric Massa of Corning, Rep. Kuhl’s likely opponent in the November election, called for at least one debate in each county in a telephone press conference earlier this week.

“I look forward to debates as I have in the past as the schedule allows,” Rep. Kuhl said. “I don’t see anything to preclude that.”

Rep. Kuhl, R-Hammondsport, told reporters Thursday, “At this point we are just starting to organize the campaign. The major hurdle ahead of us is to get a sufficient number of legal signatures” on nominating petitions. Not knowing whether he or Mr. Massa will face a September primary, talk of debates is premature, he added.

Nominating petitions begin circulating in early June. There are currently no other announced candidates in the 29th District.

Mr. Massa, a retired naval commander who came within 2 percentage points of defeating Rep. Kuhl in the 2006 election, said Wednesday: “I will accommodate his (Kuhl’s) schedule. I will set up venues Friday nights, Saturdays and Sunday afternoons.”

Mr. Massa said he wasn’t challenging Rep. Kuhl to debate.

“This is the selection process of who will represent the 29th Congressional District,” he said. “There should be at least one (debate) per county. I will make it as convenient as possible for Rep. Kuhl.”

Mr. Massa was critical of the congressman’s recently announced town meeting format, saying closed-door meetings with constituents in town halls do not satisfy that requirement.

Previously, Rep. Kuhl held brief town meetings in each town in the congressional district. He told reporters the new format is in response to some people who came to the meetings hoping for confidentiality in their discussions.

Rep. Kuhl said the new format will allow people wishing to speak at one of his town office meetings to be screened by his staff who can “deal with issues right on site,” rather than have to go to the Bath office, or to a part-time office in Olean for assistance.

“We’ll see how it works out,” he said.

“Some people come in an attempt to really disrupt me and disrupt people who want to discuss other things,” Rep. Kuhl said. “We may have to modify if again.”

Mr. Massa said, “Randy Kuhl owes it to the people of this district the opportunity to get their questions answered. Closed-door office meetings do not satisfy those requirements. Why are his town hall meetings 30 minutes long in the middle of the day when he knows no one will be there?”

Kuhl is smart not to committ to this many debates. He should avoid the subject as much as possible, because Mr. Massa is the far superior orator and debater of the two. The more Mr. Kuhl ends up on the same stage as Mr. Massa, the more his poll numbers will drop.

I know the Dem establishment is firm on Massa, but is their any talk about a potential Republican primary in this race?

It will be interesting to see how this race shapes up against the background of the presidential race, and the anti-Bush/anti-war sentiment, and the likelihood that the current recession will get worse before it gets better.

I don't know much about Kuhl because Chautauqua County got lopped off Amo Houghton's old district (39th?) and put with Erie County as part of Brian Higgins' new district (we really need a barf emoticon!!!). If the national Democrats think they can shake this seat loose from the Republicans, they might pour in a lot of money into it just as they are likely to give a lot of help to whomever the Dems nominate for Tom Reynolds' district.

Thread Information