Thread: Youth Hockey Tournament

Youth Hockey Tournament

I hear that the visitors to this tournament are using 1,200 hotel rooms! That's a pretty big deal, and no one seems to be talking about it. I think it's the 2nd straight year it's been at the Pepsi Center, no?

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...=et55&ana=e_du

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 3:07 PM EDT
    Youth hockey championships hit the ice
    Business First of Buffalo

More than 2,000 visitors -- some all the way from Alaska -- have converged on the Buffalo area for the annual USA Hockey Youth National tournament.

Play for the Tier I and Tier II Boys 16 & 18 & Under divisions runs from Wednesday through Sunday. The Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau estimates more than 5,200 hotel room nights will be counted with the economic impact estimated at $1.2 million.

Amherst Youth Hockey and the Amherst Pepsi Center are hosting the competition.
    Contact the Editor Need Assistance? More Latest News

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    I hear that the visitors to this tournament are using 1,200 hotel rooms! That's a pretty big deal, and no one seems to be talking about it. I think it's the 2nd straight year it's been at the Pepsi Center, no?

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...=et55&ana=e_du
    That does seem like a pretty big deal. I didn't see anything on channel 2, 4 or 7's websites, or the Snooze. What's with that?

That is because the media darling (SM) had nothing to do with bringing it here, plus it is something that was done in a positive nature by Town employees w/ help from volunteers. Remember how SM had a problem with sending two employees out west last year to push our facility (bid for the tournament)?

Amherst has a lot of outstanding services and programs which are taken for granted or overlooked because they are excellent because of the town department heads and employees. People have come to Amherst from all over the U.S. and even abroad to look at some of the programs here.

Quote Originally Posted by forreason
    That is because the media darling (SM) had nothing to do with bringing it here, plus it is something that was done in a positive nature by Town employees w/ help from volunteers.
    Town employees helped to bring it here? Is that so?

Tell us how.

When the Pepsi Ctr was first opened until just a few yrs ago (last one or two yrs of the former Town Supervisor's time in office) Delaware North managed the Pepsi Ctr. When TB members felt that they would like to see if they could operate the Ctr. w/ just employees, a plan was submitted by the Rec. Dept. on how it could be done. Since that time the TB has sent certain employees to groups such as this national hockey association to have them run a major tournament in this facility. Amherst has been known for quite a few years for their hockey program and just a few years ago they allowed a less major (but important tournament) to be run here. Since it was such a success, when these employees visited the association to see if they could land a more major event, they were successful. It takes a lot of work to pull off an event such as this, but as it showed on Channel 4 last night, it has begun in a successful mode. They interviewed kids and parents from places such as California and North Dakota and they had nothing but good things to say about the tournament and the area (sites, food, etc.). They interviewed some of the managers of local hotels and they stated that the whole area is operating at or near capacity. There have been some negatives written on this board about some of the individuals that are in control of this facility, but getting passed their personalities or shortfalls, these are some of things that must be held to bring people here to see the area and spend some $$$. It could only help the whole area. Maybe even CE Collins can learn from this that maybe public servants can do the job and make this area compete and be successful.

Key employee

The people on this MB won't give him any credit but Eric Guzdek was the key person in bringing this and many other tournaments to the Pepsi Center. I've read many criticisms of him and maybe some of them may be justified but give the man his due. He's done a terrific job at the center. All i hear him get is grief. Someday he may get a better offer and leave. If so the town will be the poorer.
    dono

Quote Originally Posted by forreason
    Remember how SM had a problem with sending two employees out west last year to push our facility (bid for the tournament)?

Yea, I do remember that....and I also remeber more recently Shelly Scratz lambasting someone in an open town board meeting for a travel request while at the same time submitting her request for travel funds to go to NYC in tiwn dime....can't find the forest in the trees!

As a hockey player and parent of a hockey player, I can't say enough positive things about this facility and its ability to hold the "big events" such as the national hockey tournament.

Although, I would like to see it cleaned-up a little bit in heavy-usage times, I still love the place!

Thread Information