Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bflo cop retires with $100,000 pension

Unregistered

Bflo cop retires with $100,000 pension

This is dramatic evidence of need for major pension reform in Bflo & NYS.

Bflo is a desperately poor city, steadily losing population, as it is not pursuing some of the most obvious 'self-help' measures to bolster its sagging economy.

In addition to McDonald's obscene pay & pension, it would be helpful to know if he lives in Bflo. Has he been spending all that money in the city . . . or the suburbs?

Most suburban towns require residnecy for their employees, but desperately poor Bflo is still treated by NYS WW II vintage law as a NY City-style "big city". Even garbage workers are exempt from residency rules, as are cops & fire(wo)men . . because in WW II times there was a shortage of available workers!

Pensions in a desperately poor city . . and steadily declining NYS . . . must be reduced.

At the least, pensions should be calculated on base pay, not inflated by overtime pay. And there should be efforts to learn how other areas "tax" pensions of those who do not live in the area. And reduce pensions of those who collect them in full while working other jobs . . far away from struggling Bflo.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/313294.html

Buffalo police officer retires with yearly pension of more than $100,000
    42-year veteran setpay record last year

By Vanessa Thomas - News Staff Reporter, Updated: 04/02/08 8:13 AM

Officer Patrick McDonald — who earned the highest pay ever recorded for a Buffalo cop — has retired from the Police Department, allowing him to receive a pension bigger than most police officers’ annual earnings.

McDonald made history last year when he worked as many as 363 days, bringing in nearly $123,000 in overtime, plus his regular pay, to earn a total of $189,457.

McDonald, who retired Tuesday, is now expected to receive a pension that exceeds $100,000 each year.

“He had a good run,” said Lt. Sean O’Brien, who was McDonald’s supervisor for about the past four years. “He could make more money sitting at home doing nothing than he did coming to work.”

McDonald, who joined the police force Oct. 17, 1966, made few arrests in recent years but earned a reputation for writing a fair number of traffic tickets.

“He’d show up to work. I’ll just leave it at that,” said O’Brien, who also serves as the police union’s sergeant-at-arms, when asked about McDonald’s arrest record.

McDonald, who was among the most senior officers in the department, took full advantage of a policy that gives overtime based on seniority. He worked 4,684 hours in 2007 — the equivalent of 12.5 hours a day every day of the year. Sometimes he stayed at work to cover for officers who called in sick. Other times, he signed up for special details.

Overall, the overtime windfall allowed McDonald to earn $119,608, with $51,796 from overtime, in 2006 and $189,456, with $122,774 in overtime, in 2007.

It’s those last years that are likely to be the basis of McDonald’s pension.

As a Tier 1 police officer — someone who started working for local government before 1971 — McDonald qualifies for a pension based on his last year of employment. The final-year earnings used for the calculation, however, could be subject to a cap, equal to roughly 20 percent more than his prior year’s earnings.

Neither state nor local officials have calculated McDonald’s actual pension.

Based on the number of years McDonald worked, his final years’ salaries and the pension formula, The Buffalo News estimated his pension at more than $100,000 a year.

McDonald could not be reached to comment Tuesday.

Many of McDonald’s fellow officers believe that even in retirement, he will never stop working. He will probably pick up more shifts at security guard jobs they say he already has, although some suggest he should consider enjoying his time off.

“With the pension he’s getting, I don’t know why he’d do anything else but enjoy himself,” said John P. King, a retired Buffalo police lieutenant, who was McDonald’s partner 27 years ago.

“That’s what retirement is all about,” said King

Buffalo police spokesman Michael J. DeGeorge said the department wishes McDonald well in his retirement.

“Officer McDonald was a very familiar face in the downtown area. Whether it was Sabres games, festivals or other events in the downtown area, Officer McDonald was always there,” said DeGeorge. “In a lot of ways, you could call him ‘Mr. Downtown.’ ”

News Staff Reporters Mary B. Pasciak and Susan Schulman contributed to this report.

vthomas@buffnews.com

good for him he worked 42 years and earned it and if you dont like it dick then leave oh yeah you are gone so shove it up your arse
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Unregistered

Typical attitude of suburb-dwelling cop?

Union cop:

Do you live in the city? Or suburbs? You are expressing a typical 'suburban' cop attitide.

A common concern of inner-city neighborhood leaders has long been suburb-dwelling cops cynically urging them to move to the suburbs to escape crime.

Housing scammers who get rich from dying neighborhoods & suburb-dwelling city workers (legally, or not) who get rich off of a sinking city are somewhat similar, I fear.

looks to me like he played by the rules...and will be rewarded.....good for him!!

and,it's his money...i'm guessing that he can spend it wherever he so desires...

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch
    Union cop:

Do you live in the city? Or suburbs? You are expressing a typical 'suburban' cop attitide.

A common concern of inner-city neighborhood leaders has long been suburb-dwelling cops cynically urging them to move to the suburbs to escape crime.

Housing scammers who get rich from dying neighborhoods & suburb-dwelling city workers (legally, or not) who get rich off of a sinking city are somewhat similar, I fear.

why would it be any concern of you to know where UC lives??....pretty nasty question,imho...

Union cop:

I live in the city but I am moving to the burbs someday soon not because of the crime but for the school system. Where do you live? You are expressing a typical hack attitude.
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Unregistered

BPP Trolling again

BPP:

The purpose of SUWNY is to "make Bflo a better place" . . . not to destroy the serious threads of those you dislike.

trolling??.....where??...

i responded to previous posts.....i think that's kosher....(aryans need not apply)

now,at the risk of getting banned...i'm done with you,for now..

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    now,at the risk of getting banned...i'm done with you,for now..
    he wont go away he is like herpes and hemroids they never are really gone
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

This is the dude from the B District, right? When I lived in Allentown, my neighbors and I used to affectionately refer to him as the Parking Ticket Prick. I don't care to think about how many parking tickets I've paid that were written between 1:01 and 1:05 in the morning.

That being said, did the guy scam the system in any way that was outside of the agreement contained in his pension plan? Was he a dirty cop? It's not his fault the city is poor. (Well, he used to hit my wallet pretty hard between November and April.) He was part of a pension plan and he made the most of it. Good for him.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

BPP:

The purpose of SUWNY is to "make Bflo a better place" . . . not to destroy the serious threads of those you dislike.

I'd love to know how posting on a website can "make Bflo a better place". Actions speak louder than words brother, and last i read, you live nowhere near this area.

Two sides.

They guy played by the rules and made the most out of his opportunity. Can not put blame on the individual for this.

On the other side

The rules that allow for this to happen are BS and need to change. Union folks also need to appreciate the frustration from the public on this.

First thing I'd do would be to leave the dust of this lousy City on the bottom of my shoes and hightail it to a more tax-friendly state.

You just know that Albany is figuring out a way to pass legislation that would tax his pension.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    The rules that allow for this to happen are BS and need to change. Union folks also need to appreciate the frustration from the public on this.
    Somwhat true. But the public needs to appreciate the concept of a legally binding agreement. I'd love to renegotiate the terms of a lot of things my name is signed to, but alas, it doesn't work that way. If I told Mastercard to lower my interest rate and cut my monthly payment, they'd laugh and point to the contract I agreed to.

Maybe the public should spend more time going after the people who represent them in these matters and not the other parties to said agreements. That's where the public's input is, rightfully imo, supposed to be heard.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    Somwhat true. But the public needs to appreciate the concept of a legally binding agreement. I'd love to renegotiate the terms of a lot of things my name is signed to, but alas, it doesn't work that way. If I told Mastercard to lower my interest rate and cut my monthly payment, they'd laugh and point to the contract I agreed to.

Maybe the public should spend more time going after the people who represent them in these matters and not the other parties to said agreements. That's where the public's input is, rightfully imo, supposed to be heard.
    You are 100% correct. The public has to face the facts that there were decisions made in the past that will effect them for years to come. Maybe this will make people wake up and select different people today for decisions that will effect tomorrow.

But in the same breath, the unions have to admit that they have pretty sweat contracts that have unnecessary provisions in them today.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information