Thread: I did a little googling on the "We will sue you Orlando"

Tony Fracasso - Admin

I did a little googling on the "We will sue you Orlando"

Check this out

From Channel 4

I'm pulling a few things from the story. Not really out of context... just the comments.

John Orlando, ARSCME Local 1095 President, "I quite frankly see no givebacks for existing employees."
    Joan Bender of the CSEEA union had a much more pointed reaction to Collins.

Joan Bender, CSEA Local 815 President, "It's just the second coming of Joel."

Joan Bender, CSEA Local 815 President, "It alienates our members who don't like to be constantly picked on. They're doing jobs in many cases that you wouldn't do. Or Mr. Collins would never do."

My favorite

John Orlando, AFSCME Local 1095 President, "I have a workforce that are very bitter."
    Your have a client that is very bitter... The client is the community. I bet a lot of the "park" workforce would like the community help. They are still going to get thier hours in but we'll end up with a much cooler park. They see the shambles our parks are in.

John Orlando has to realize a client has to get value for the money they are spending. If the work force of the AFSCME isn't large enough for the work load now or if the community just can't afford more staff so be it. Then that means we have to take care of our own assets ourselves.

John Orlando, with ASCFME Local 1095, says, "We're blue collar. We work with our hands, if we have to work with our hands"

"We need to ask the pharmaceutical companies. They've done something unions haven't been able to do, and that's control Congress," Lipsitz said.

Think Keane would be standing up to Orlando the way Collins is?
    Last edited by GG716; April 2nd, 2008 at 03:21 AM.

AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 100.00 06-DEC-06 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 Jan Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 100.00 27-MAR-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 July Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 160.00 24-JUL-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 32 Pre Primary C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 5,441.00 21-AUG-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 11 Pre Primary C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 150.00 16-SEP-06 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 Jan Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 100.00 21-JUN-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 July Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 100.00 27-JUN-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 July Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 100.00 08-AUG-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 32 Pre Primary C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 100.00 04-OCT-06 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 Jan Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 150.00 20-NOV-06 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 Jan Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 100.00 27-APR-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 July Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 1,000.00 11-JUL-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 July Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 100.00 26-JAN-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 July Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 100.00 26-SEP-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 32 Pre General C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 100.00 27-MAR-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 July Periodic C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 300.00 17-JUL-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 32 Pre Primary C County Executive N/A Erie Erie
    AFSCME LOCAL 1095 PAC
    35 TYROL DR.
    CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227 60.00 10-SEP-07 FRIENDS OF JIM KEANE 2007 Post Primary C County Executive N/A Erie Erie

Always
    For
    Sucking
    County
    Money
    Excessively

Georgia L Schlager

The funniest thing I saw in that was the woman union rep saying "They're doing jobs in many cases that you wouldn't do."

I want to know what jobs she is talking about? Is that tree trimming and cleaning up a piece of property like a park? Because I think there are private companies that do that? Is it picking up the garbage and transporting it to a landfill? Because guess what there are private companies that do that service.

If I was in the union that Joan Bender represented I would be calling for a public apology for that degrading statement.
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

Bender was talking about child protection workers, caseworkers and others whose job it is to be on call 24/7 doing jobs that involve emergencies and emotionally charged situations. She represents the local 815 CSEA not to be confused with the the AFSME local that represents the park workers and such.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by 4music
    Bender was talking about child protection workers, caseworkers and others whose job it is to be on call 24/7 doing jobs that involve emergencies and emotionally charged situations. She represents the local 815 CSEA not to be confused with the the AFSME local that represents the park workers and such.
    I once spoke to a FORMER CPS caeworker who left that line of work as soon as they got an opportunity. She told me that she would have nightmares everynight because of what she saw.

Her tipping point was going on a drug raid with the local police because it was well known that this dealer had two young boys in the house. Once the police found the drugs and cleared the house, she went in to inspect the boys who were 5 and 3. Both had belt marks up and down there backs and were severely abused in other ways that I do not like to think about.

The CPS Caseworker was driving them to foster care in the middle of the night when she heard the five year old say to the three year old, "It's going to be alright now, we're safe now, and they' re going to take good care of us".

The caseworker told me after she dropped the kids off at their foster care, she cried the whole way home. This was after years of having nightmares about all of the abuse cases that she had witnessed. The next day she quit her job.

I know for many of you find it is easy to trivialize the work that public employees do every day, and to make broad generalizations about their greediness and about their unions. However, the vast majority of these employees care about their work and the people they serve, and do a fantastic job.

It is easy to take a few bad examples and try to apply this to all. While it is easy, it does not make it right.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksimm
    I once spoke to a FORMER CPS caeworker who left that line of work as soon as they got an opportunity. She told me that she would have nightmares everynight because of what she saw.

Her tipping point was going on a drug raid with the local police because it was well known that this dealer had two young boys in the house. Once the police found the drugs and cleared the house, she went in to inspect the boys who were 5 and 3. Both had belt marks up and down there backs and were severely abused in other ways that I do not like to think about.

The CPS Caseworker was driving them to foster care in the middle of the night when she heard the five year old say to the three year old, "It's going to be alright now, we're safe now, and they' re going to take good care of us".

The caseworker told me after she dropped the kids off at their foster care, she cried the whole way home. This was after years of having nightmares about all of the abuse cases that she had witnessed. The next day she quit her job.

I know for many of you find it is easy to trivialize the work that public employees do every day, and to make broad generalizations about their greediness and about their unions. However, the vast majority of these employees care about their work and the people they serve, and do a fantastic job.

It is easy to take a few bad examples and try to apply this to all. While it is easy, it does not make it right.
    for putting a human face on an abstract topic.

When I did home calls for ECDSS back in the mid 90's Cellular One had a discount program for cell phones for people that qualified under "Medical use" or something like that. It cost me just $10 month and $.25/minute. Since there was only 5 cell phones in my unit for 20 caseworkers to use (and they were the HUGAH ones, hehe) I choose to buy my own. I just took it as a work related tax deduction. Why can't the county work out some kind of thing like this with one of the cell providers? Or is one already in place?
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Collins wants to not give people "beeper pay", which is pay to carry a pager/cell phone and be on call. I don't see a problem if he has a pool of workers he can call in to work O/T. He can do away with the beeper pay. Unfortunately what do you do during a storm and need plow drivers? There will always be some jobs that require that. He understands that. If beeper pay is no longer feasible, then do away with it.

Thread Information