Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The answer to that question is no," said Orlando.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

"The answer to that question is no," said Orlando.

Created: 4/3/2008 5:05:56 PMUpdated: 4/3/2008 5:27:34 PM

Now that Erie County Executive Chris Collins has laid down the gauntlet -saying county union benefits have to better reflect the reality of the world we live in, can any agreement be reached?

Collins said in his State of the County address that future contracts must be sustainable, and that "we need a blank sheet of paper approach" starting with the current benefit package.

"Are you prepared to come forward in negotiations with a blank sheet of paper," Two-On-Your-Side's Lynne Dixon asked AFSCME Local 1085 head John Orlando.

"The answer to that question is no," said Orlando. "And the other part of it is when I do negotiate I don't negotiate in the media. And he should take a little bit of advice. He shouldn't do it either."
    Go read the full story on Channel 2 before commenting.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Orlando says he disagrees with Collins contention that union benefits are not sustainable longterm. He says they've been given to the unions in lieu of money.
    Benefits cost money.

Either we pay our employees cash or we pay for the benefits we pay our employees with. Either way we pay for it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    According to data from the Erie County Personnel Department, paid time off for county employees includes fifteen sick days, four personal days, three weeks vacation, twelve holidays, and reduced summer hours which amounts to another three days. That, says the County Executive's office, amounts to nearly ten weeks paid time off.
    Can this be confirmed? Like is this the average county employee where some get a little more some get a little less? Or do they all get the same?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    "Because you lower the standards of living in the private sector doesn't mean everyone should be crawling along on a sidewalk. So I'm not about to even discuss that unless it's across the table from him." Orlando claims Collins has never reached out to him.
    What is the diffrence If the service provider ran by Mr. Orlando is he's told no over the phone, told no in the media or told to his face? It's all the same... No.

The audacity of some people.

How would you like to be told you can't use "Little Oswald's Lawn service" you could only use "Little Fredrick's Lawn service member of Local 1950"

If you don't like what the job is paying go. That is no different when a group of "Service Company local 1950" employees say if you don't like your taxes move. If they can tell us the client that we can tell the employee the same thing.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    how about this. I'm not the only one who see's it this way.

I was skimming threw a Topix.

OrlandoMustGo
    Mr. Orlando says no? Because he wasn't approached before someone has the audacity to speak the truth? PUHLEEEEZE. Mr. Orlando, what a diva you are. Things change. The economy changes. Costs change. Population changes. Many things change. This area is in a deep deep decline and all you want to do is help get it there faster. How is what you are doing to the poor of EC different that what you perceive is being done to you? Every extra penny you take is a panny that could go to a starving, deprived or abused child right here in EC. How sad you can live with that.
    HE won't even let our community put up a play ground set up for the kids.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Andy from Lancaster says

Andy
    Reduced summer hours, twelve holidays...that amounts to "crawling along on a sidewalk". Get real Mr. Orlando, most people with decent jobs in the private sector don't get that. You will be to blame when your members lose their jobs forever.

Ridiculous.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I like this westside from Buffalo person

West Side
    Disgusting. Remove the Taylor law, renegotiate all contracts from scratch. If that doesn't work put the jobs out for new applications from qualified individuals based on what the going rate is in the private sector.

What a bunch of cry-babies.

Good job WGRZ on covering this waste!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Must be someone on the recieving end.

sick of collins
    I'm so glad to see someone else out there realizes that Chris Collins' "good deed" of working for only a dollar a month is actually a huge tax break for him because he is technically receiving his salary and then "donating" all but $1 back to the arts and other causes.
    He's so self-righteous that it makes me ill. Since day one he cleaned house in the Rath Bldg. and said his administration will be made up of only the "best and the brightest", what a slap in the face to the individuals that previously held those positions.

I just would like to know who is running his companies while he is being county executive, it would be interesting if the media took an interest in his daily activities. Those companies aren't going to run themselves and even though I'm sure he has hired only the "best and brightest" in those top positions he still must be involved, so where ever does he find the time.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    OMG said

John Orlando wrote:

"And the other part of it is when I do negotiate I don't negotiate in the media. And he should take a little bit of advice. He shouldn't do it either."
    OMG

Translation: I'm not going to tell the taxpayers what is REALLY going on and neither should Collins....

Why not, Mr. Orlando? Why not let the taxpayers know EXACTLY what is going on? After all, it is our money your trying to get.

Kinda sucks when you have someone sitting across from you at the negotiating table that you haven't bought and paid for, huh? I guess you'll have to work for your money this time and your idiot followers will find out what an "expert negotiator" you really are!

Your talking scared Mr. Orlando, and it shows!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Jay in Hamburg

hillary wrote:
    I work for the county. have been there 24 1/2 years. we get 15 sick days a year because we have no disability insurance, unless we buy our own.
    4 personal days a year and 1 - 6 weeks vaction depending on years. there are many places that have much better than we have.
    ironically, his secretary makes 60k a year and all of his people are full time and the high level ones are started with four weeks vacation. so, you don't even want to go there. also, the union has approached him 3 times and he has refused to even meet with them.
    Jay in Hamburg
    Please tell me you are wrong and his secretary doesn't make 60K a year? I work for Erie county have an advanced degree, marketable skills and years of experience and make less then that. Why is it he has money to pay "his people" well but the rest need to take cuts, cuts, cuts.

Jay?

An advance degree in what?

Jay?

Marketable skills? What are they?

Why is it he has money to pay "his people" well but the rest need to take cuts, cuts, cuts.
    Because he took the initative and you did not.

Jay? The road of oppurtunity awaits... Just quit and market those skills you have. No one is stopping you but yourself.

GO read the book or rent the DVD "The Secret"....

Don't hold yourself back.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Proper English

Remove the Taylor Law?
    You do realize that means the unions will then be able to go on strike!
    That means plow drivers, school nurses, police. What?! Police?! Can you imagine what would happen if these union employees went on strike?
    You obviously aren't familiar with the Taylor Law.
    But then that means we can hire people we can afford. Your all highly skilled and marketable. I don't see the issue here.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Bill

Sorry posters, but this needs to be said.

Hey OMG, Shut the **** Up you stupid contrarian tw*t. All you've done is complain. Support you point of view with a fact. A single fact, if you know any. County workers have nice jobs, are you happy, someone said it. But to pretend they are the problem without looking at any real facts and just going by what Collins says is rediculous. County workers and other people are entitled to opinions as well. What the **** do you know about compensation being too high or low? Why not wonder why there arent better private sector rather than kicking working people for what they do have. Dragging everyone down to a lower level isnt the answer. I still can't believe all these people are rallying around a millionaire to do their bidding. Going after the unions and hard fought for benefits is what they do to become richer. You fools fall for the bait and hook when htye say they're doing it for you. Dismantling unions and benefits for the working class undoes everything our parents, grandparent worked for their whole live. We've given it all away in one generation by listening to the tune of the neo-con piper. Keep suspending your judgement America, we'll be mexico in no time flat.
    It's not that we want to drag anyone down. The fact is we have to work with what we can afford. The clients have to have a future to you know.

I am one that would love to pay everyone that works for me $200,000 a year. Issue boils to we can't.

Dragging everyone down to a lower level isnt the answer.
    Do you shop where you can save money Bill? Do you ever buy items on the internet to get a lower cost Bill? Do you go to Wegmans instead of Tops when they have eggs cheaper Bill?

Bill have you ever walked into a WalMart because you your dollar goes further?

Well?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Taxpayer

After Collins takes care of the county workers, We need to start working on the teachers.

How can we continue with these mandates and taxes?
    People leaving the area, its great for them but bad for the people who stay as the lost taxes from the people leaving is redistributed to the people and company s who choose to stay.
    I sort of disagree with this one.

I think we need to deal with parents who don't know how to parent. You can't expect a teacher to teach if the kids do not want to learn. Throwing more money at each teach isn't going to fix it. Maybe hiring more teachers all at a lower wage is better than a few highly paid teachers.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    OMG from Alden

Fact:
    County workers are the problem! Nobody, NOBODY, deserves to make $30,000/yr with all the pension, benefits and days off you receive for being a parks worker!

Fact:
    90% of the jobs in County Government are over-compensated. 90% of the people working in county government could NEVER go into the private sector and make what they are making working for the county!

Fact:
    There are not more private sector jobs in Erie County because hardly anyone (with the exception of GIECO) wants to come here. Why? Because they don’t want to contend with organized labor and the high taxes!

Fact:
    Erie County has lost population for 40 STRAIGHT YEARS! Why? Because people can’t get real jobs here for the above reason! The people who left are not the ones sucking off the government teat! All those people stayed!

Fact:
    The heart-tugging,“dismantling unions undoes what our parents and grandparents did” is not a fact! Start bringing some of your own! You want to be recognized as “one” with your union then cry when someone lumps you all together. Which is it?

Fact:
    Public Sector unions have lived large for years because they have had politicians they bought and paid for in their pocket. Now, ONE TIME! You guys have someone in there that’s “not your man” and you’re panicking! It’s good to see!
    So any truth to this?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Pro-WNY
    Private sector employees historically have always (at least the perception has been) had lower salaries and great benefits. The problem is the public sector has taken a huge hit in the past decade and people are fed up with perks that seem unrealistic. The area is shrinking and businesses and people are fleeing at a rate faster than I think anyone ever imagined 25 years ago. Every media report about the state of Erie county the past 10 years seems to point out that Erie county has way too much government compared to like sized metropolitan areas. You can blast the new Exec all you want but he was voted in to try and turn this county around. It appears he has hit a nerve and more than likely , if he does his job, he will do more than upset to local unions. This is make it or break it time for WNY. If Chris Collins fails to bring WNY out of it's economic doldrum nobody will. If he fails it will be back to lackluster leadership from spineless career politicians. That is the last thing this area needs. I hope all sectors can find a way to work through these tough times. All of us left behind, who have not fled, deserve to see this area thrive.
    We now need to focus on the EC legislature... There are 8 or so that have to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information