Thread: Opera, anyone?

Opera, anyone?

IF you haven't experienced a live opera at the Met, here is an opportunity for you:

I believe the next performance, La Boheme, plays at IMAX this Sat. April 5th at 1:30.

[I]Met Opera: Live in HD
    clock 2007-12-15 to 2008-04-26

Now in its second year, the Metropolitan Opera of New York presents eight broadcast performances, live and in high-definition at major cinemas throughout the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Australia, and many more. Here's your chance to see one of the world's finest opera companies at the convenience of your local cinema – meaning, feel free to wear your jeans and sneakers, and enjoy your popcorn and other snacks. This is a fantastic opportunity to introduce children to opera with the casual atmosphere of a movie theatre, and each season includes at least one performance geared towards a younger audience. Most shows are broadcast to cinemas live on Saturdays, with an encore of the live performance on Sunday. For more information, go to http://www.metopera.org/HDLive Tickets: $22.

OK so I guess we won't start that Opera Lovers forum that Res. wanted so badly.

love classical (among others)...but never really got into opera too much.....except for "la boheme" (the bohemian).....it is extraordinary....

I like Bohemian Rhapsody
    I suppose that's the closest I'll come.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

In my 5 years in college as a Music major, the one thing I hated studying the most was opera.
    Grrr! It made me angry!

Especially when it got to the ridiculously long (Hours and Hours) operas of Wagner.

Who could sit through that???! Argh!
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    In my 5 years in college as a Music major, the one thing I hated studying the most was opera.
    Grrr! It made me angry!

Especially when it got to the ridiculously long (Hours and Hours) operas of Wagner.

wagner is difficult to listen to...no question...

Grrr! It made me angry!
    heh. What school? If I may ask. I went to Crane for awhile. But yeah, opera is very hit and miss with me, too. Though I did see Aida in Montreal and that was almost spiritual.

Wagner is/was one of the most overrated composers in all of history. Seriously, his notoriety, in my opinion, is due to the fact that you have to have an iron constitution to even sit through his stuff. Plus, the guy's awesome insight lead him to constantly declare Gustav Mahler, a younger contemporary who was stealing his thunder, a hack.

I remember having to listen entire Ring cycle and do a thematical analysis of certain parts of it. Never again.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    heh. What school? If I may ask. I went to Crane for awhile. But yeah, opera is very hit and miss with me, too. Though I did see Aida in Montreal and that was almost spiritual.

Wagner is/was one of the most overrated composers in all of history. Seriously, his notoriety, in my opinion, is due to the fact that you have to have an iron constitution to even sit through his stuff. Plus, the guy's awesome insight lead him to constantly declare Gustav Mahler, a younger contemporary who was stealing his thunder, a hack.

I remember having to listen entire Ring cycle and do a thematical analysis of certain parts of it. Never again.
    I don't love Wagner either, but I know a lot of folks who would sit through the entire ring cycle and love every minute of it. On the other hand, I do appreciate the Puccini operas, but ordinarily don't consider myself an opera lover. I did see a relatively obscure Britten opera at the Met and was blown away by the production, so you just never know.

I grew up listening to opera because every Saturday my mom listened to "Live From The Met" on PBS radio. When I was in college for music I had to attend operas and I aquired a taste for them as much as I did for musicals. Now I enjoy operas that have some comedy to them like "Die Fledermaus". My mother goes to all the operas at the Regal. She would love to go see an opera at the Met but it is too expensive for her and in her opinion going to the Regal is the next best thing.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Thread Information